Olympian coach Jutta Müller has died age 94 | Golden Skate

Olympian coach Jutta Müller has died age 94

Matthew

On the Ice
Jutta Müller, coach of Katarina Witt, Anett Pötzsch and many many other medallists, has died age 94:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I will give a translation (in summary) of the piece in the OP's post. My German is as we Dutch would say "so-so" so any German speakers on the board please add and correct if you feel like it!

Figure skating icon dies at 94​

Figure skating lost the greated coach of all time. Jutta Müller died at the age of 94 in a nursing home. The woman from Chemnitz trained in her active time as a coach numerous Olympic and World champions, like her daughter Gaby seyfert, Jan Hoffman, Annett Pötsch and Katarina Witt. The figure skating world has lost a great coach personality according to Andreas wagner, president of the German Skating Union.

An institute of sports in Chemnitz.
Pötzch (now 63), the first German Olympic Figure skating champion, mourned her deeply. The coach had been made honorary citizen of Chemnitz when she celebrated her 80th birthday. The mayor of the city mentioned that.

Obituary

Her career as a coach started in 1955 in Karl Marx stadt (nowadays Chemnitz). She was an active figure skater earlier and even became the champion of the DDR in 1949. First she had success as a coach with her daughter Gaby Siefert who was world champion twice. After that followed Annett Pötzsch and Jan Hoffmann. She became immortal in her relationship with Katarina Witt, and not just because of the successes. They had a strong bond, although Katerina would always call her 'sie' (not used much in English, it is thee, a respectful way to say 'you' ).

In 2022 the nursing home
In the summer of 2022 she left her beloved home city to live in a nursing home close to her daughter. The former living space was far too big.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the greats, my sympathies to her family and loved ones.

I started watching this documentary on Coach Müller, German with English subtitles, and it was fascinating. I did not know about one of her students, Gunther Zoller, who defected to West Germany. I did not know that Coach Müller "poached" Anett Poetsch from her own daughter Gaby Seyfert. Videos of baby Jan Hoffman, baby Anett, of Katarina Witt and her "comeback' in 1994, and how difficult it was for Coach Müller to accept that Katarina was skating for reasons other than gold.

Recommended.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RIP Jutta Mueller - You earned the love and respect of your students for a lifetime and that means something. It was always charming to see you dote on your students in the K & C. 94 years is a lot of life.