On Site Reports: Your experience SkAm 2015 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

On Site Reports: Your experience SkAm 2015

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
What a beautiful dress! Tell us more if you can. --About EVERYONE and who you liked best any surprises in how you saw skaters live compared to on TV?

Sure. It's really late here and been a long day, probably will have to wait until tomorrow before I can type up a long summary of the weekend.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Sure. It's really late here and been a long day, probably will have to wait until tomorrow before I can type up a long summary of the weekend.

I'll be happy to hear anything once you've recovered.
It's been so great to hear short reports from everyone, it seems like a really fun event all-around.
Thanks to all the skating fans who have posted about their experience, you guys rock!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks! :biggrin: I'm looking through my book of autographs and was interested in deciphering Satoko's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSOtxoVUwAAhqzf.jpg

Looks like she wrote 'Satoko' in English, and there's a Japanese flag drawn in there. What's beside that? Is there any Japanese in there (doesn't appear so to me)?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I got home yesterday morning and unpacked only a little. So today for cheer practice, I have to use a smaller duffel bag....which might be good considering the one I used was HUGE.

But I forgot to mention that after the ladies SP during the long break before the SD, I got Karen Chen's autograph!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I had a wonderful time, but those were some really long days if you attended the practices. I was exhausted on Sat. and I have to admit I almost nodded off during some of the first groups of ladies & ice dance. :slink: The venue is very convenient, but I wished there were a few more options there for food & drink - there was just not enough time to go very far during the breaks & not much in the immediate vicinity. I like some skaters more after seeing them live...then there were a few I still do not like, and probably never will. But the ones I was most interested in seeing did not disappoint.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had a wonderful time, but those were some really long days if you attended the practices. I was exhausted on Sat. and I have to admit I almost nodded off during some of the first groups of ladies & ice dance. :slink: The venue is very convenient, but I wished there were a few more options there for food & drink - there was just not enough time to go very far during the breaks & not much in the immediate vicinity. I like some skaters more after seeing them live...then there were a few I still do not like, and probably never will. But the ones I was most interested in seeing did not disappoint.

I TOTALLY agree about the food. Like why was there no chicken tenders? And some people might not like hot dogs, including myself.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry to hear about the food at the venue. (I plan to bring lots of snacks with me to Worlds in case the food options at TD Garden aren't good).

About the exhausting part, I feel hungover just watching *some* of the livestream over the weekend, so I can imagine how it must be to actually be there!

Thanks to everyone for their onsite practice reports, skater/coach sightings and meet and greets with the skaters! Sounds like a great time was had by all.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sorry to hear about the food at the venue. (I plan to bring lots of snacks with me to Worlds in case the food options at TD Garden aren't good).

About the exhausting part, I feel hungover just watching *some* of the livestream over the weekend, so I can imagine how it must be to actually be there!

Thanks to everyone for their onsite practice reports, skater/coach sightings and meet and greets with the skaters! Sounds like a great time was had by all.

The good news with TD Garden that there is a train station below TD Garden that has very reasonably priced (and good-tasting) food options. It was my go-to when I was at Nationals.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A few tidbits before I get on plane....Got to talk with Mariah for just a bit. She is all grown up...starting college...thinking about psych. but leaving her options open for now....super nice young lady...super nice family....got my pic with her and Gracie so mission accomplished! Hope Evan has completely gotton over his "bug" and Madison didnt get it...someone who know her said she was sounding a bit Off but that means little. Max, JB, Gracie, Mariah, etc. so gracious at the breakfast...great people....didnt see Karen. Maybe I missed her....Satako running in the concourse...smiling at people...I know she speaks English but of course didnt want to disturb her for a pic....Its good to be a man if you need a bathroom at a skating event but hardly any of the towel dispensors or soap dispensors worked...Lake Front offers beautiful walks....Art museum, War Memorial, to Yatch basin and beyond...only had time for five miles but that's a skating event...no time....many beautiful old buildings along with the souless ones...Very disturbing trend of commercials on the jumbotron continues....skater takes bow, skater skates toward coach....we cant see the human interaction because of some commerical that pops up....then a few highlights before scores....after 13 years of skating comp events, it is sad to think that all that variety of music played during slow times/breaks is gone.....now it is rap and MoTown at a db level that is no good for the ears....that wont bring in young people...it just anoys us older folk and I am not the only one....ear muffs next event...Milwaukee the city turned out better than expected...close eateries, in fact everything is close....only pan handled once...few street people....light car traffic...but be careful...running red lights is a local sport...one almost got Tan and Charley and I and a bunch of others...but by that time, we were wise to their game....sorry the tail gate was rained out...but the rock music being played didnt appeal to my friends and I so no loss...time to fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Safely home from Milwaukee. Skate America was a blast and we fell in love with Milwaukee. There was just too much to see and not enough time to see it all so a return trip is already being planned by my hubby. It is too bad that the tailgate got rained out because it could have been fun (and because the tailgaters then tried to eat in the arena and the concession stands were not prepared...I was served a cold brat). Saturday night USFS had a private party in the bar across from the registration desk at the hotel. All those skaters so close and yet so far!! Sunday morning at check out got to add Danny O'shea to my list of skaters I met. And I definitely turned my future daughter-in-law into a skate fan. She hung out in the lobby Sunday morning looking for skaters (she actually met more than me...helps she is young and pretty!) I will never be able to look at Jean-luc Baker the same way...Anna texted me "hey I met Amish boy and he isn't amish..he has a phone" (she thought he was Amish from his FD costume!!) Can't wait to go to another event (and if the rumors are true that will be KC in 2017!)

firal

Record Breaker
Just got home. Milwaukee was a nicer city than I imagine (sorry I always prepare for the worst). I also nodded off during some of the practice sessions but I love every minute of it. Saw lots of skaters around on the street even though I did not stay at the official hotel and went for a cheaper option. Beautiful costumes are even more so in person than on TV.

Leaving Milwaukee on the same plane with Max! He sat in the first row like a Gold Medalist does. :p

Alex D

Record Breaker
Skate America column

Skating in America

Table of Contents:

1.0 Introduction (Some history about Skate America)

2.0 Gracie is not a loser! (A silver medal is a good result)

3.0 Russian Wunderkinds

3.1 Evgenia Medvedeva (Going for gold, with the flow)

3.2. Julia Lipnitskaia (Struggling with confidence)

4.0 Comeback girls (About Mariah & Nicole)

5.0 Tears don´t lie (Alaine and the triple Axel)

6.0 Attacking in all kinds of directions (Max Aaron goes for gold)

6.1 I don´t speak Japanese (Shoma Uno strikes back)

6.2 Sexy and he knows it (Jason Brown and the Ladies)

7.0 How you like our new SP? (Madison & Evan, about their change of tactics)

8.0 A new love? (Nikita Katsalapov and Victoria Sinitsina about their new feelings)

9.0 A look at pairs

9.1 Not a couple, yet a couple (Wenjing Sui and Cong Han claim gold)

9.2 Alexa reacts (Alexa & Chris, scoring silver)

9.3 If you’ve only got a moustache (Tips for your first date, by Julianne and Charlie)

10. Waving Goodbye​

1.0 Introduction (Some history about Skate America)

Skate America is the first of six qualification tournaments, with the final being held in Barcelona at the end of the year.
Therefore, it was the first real competition for a lot of skaters with the Americans being the most successful, by securing five medals, including two golden ones.

The event itself was originally created as a test event prior to the Olympics in 1979 and therefore is one of the original five GP events, when the series started in 1995. Michelle Kwan was able to win at home soil, a total of seven times, a record that most likely will never be broken! My personal favorite moment however, was Sasha Cohen in 2003. I just love my Sasha!

Talking about love, the organizers really loved to let people know about credit cards, damn I heard that announcement so often and there was also some strange thing going on with promoting families, who then were on the big video wall. I, honestly, did not really get all of this – what were they promoted for and why do people have that weird habit of waving like crazy as soon they see themselves on video walls?
Anyways, tears, smiles and laughs – it was all there! In the following column, I will try to recap the most dramatic, but also stunning moments. As always, I will try to mention as many skaters as I can, not only focusing on those who are always in the spotlight, but rather those who skated into my heart.
The heavy focus on the ladies is nor deniable, or a myth, the sense of humor and positive energy are real and everything should be seen with a smile.

2.0 Gracie is not a loser! (A silver medal is a good result)

I am not sure how you guys started your day, but I had some Scottish tea, an egg, toast and some social media, latter didn´t taste that good though. A lot of people assume, that Gracie Gold has actually lost at Skate America!
Terms like "she gifted", "oh, just a silver", "Gracie lost gold" are the least rude here, yet not less disrespectful to her and Evgenia Medvedeva who won the competition by just 3.21 points in front of the American.

Gold, put as promised a "killer skate" onto the ice, something you cannot rate high enough as she was extremely nervous prior to her free skate. Her mind was focused, tension everywhere, deep into the tunnel, she knew, that all eyes will be on her and that people would expect nothing less, than the gold!

"You know, when you skate for America, people expect that you win, Gold noted a while ago."

Therefore, the general reception during her skates, was as supportive, as it was pressuring. Gracie, who at times, struggles a bit with her nerves, skated a wonderful short and even better long program. Her maturity, the energy and the grace, it was all there, she was confident at every moment, no sign of bowing down to the occasion.
In total, Gold landed six triples in her free skate making it eight in total, including her rock solid opener of Lutz and Toe. Besides being a brilliant jumper, Gracie knows how to sell her programs and was rewarded with level fours for Spins and Steps, but also good GOE and PC´s never dipping below eight and an average of 8.6 for her Firebird performance.
At no time, you would have thought, that one of her last elements of the competition, the "simple" triple Sal could fail and in the end be all, that stood between her and the winner.

"It's not just a double Axel or a triple Salchow at the end of your program; it's the most important thing you're doing at that moment. The concept of taking something for granted is, of course, the curse of any sport."

While I didn´t have the chance to ask Gracie directly about the whole "taking things for granted", I am sure that what she said could be applied also to her fans and the press. Everyone seems to think, that skating to gold, is like something you can do on a Sunday morning, while having a huge hangover. Too many people, do not understand what it takes to become a winner. This isn´t something that just happens, no! It takes hours of daily practice, for years. But it also requires, that you deliver your best, stay healthy and be given the opportunity. Especially in America the teenagers of the former years, made the impression that a 15 or 16 years old is fully developed as a skater and a winner, but those skater types are not the norm, but more an exception. Gracie is now 20 years of age and she gets better and better every year.

In my opinion, coming second in a GP event, is a big achievement, winning a bronze at Sochi an even bigger and still staying with both blades on the ice, nothing that anyone should take for granted. Gracie, has done a lot to promote her sport in America, you should see all those little kids cheering for her, it´s amazing!
Therefore, I wish people in America and everywhere in this world, would just respect good results more and treat their skaters better. It takes a lot to do what they do, don´t take their good results for granted and cheer them also and especially then, if the top spot on the podium is taken by someone else or they are having trouble like Julia, Alaine or Dennis Ten at the this year´s event.

Remember, it´s not easy to be a figure skater and for any athlete in this world, having a good result and then not been asked after it, but rather why it wasn´t better, is not a good thing at all. Too often, good results are not respected or promoted and I wish this would change.

What also needed to change, was Gracie blowing one of her two programs, as she kindly admitted.

"I’m happy with how the competition went. I had a really good short program and a very solid long program, which has been harder for me in the past to put two together. One usually burns really bright and then one might fizzle out. So we’ve been working really hard all summer on putting two programs together and I want to continue doing that all season.

3.0 Russian Wunderkinds

Before I talk about our ladies champion, I want to point out that I picked her and Julia under this section for a reason. Evgenia is where Julia was in 2013/14 – cheered and loved by everyone, while Julia, seems to be forgotten by those who once cheered her. It shows, that it can go very fast at times, once a winner and everybody's darling and then people drop you like a hot potato. I want to strongly point out, that I like both ladies a lot and that I hope by writing about them like I will, that maybe one or two thoughts will go through peoples minds, especially in the perspective of what Evgenia most likely will still discover. I just don´t want her to go through the same like Liza once or Julia now. This is not a battle of who is the bigger "Wunder", it´s more about showing the contrast in a skaters appearance, style and life and that there is no rule, how someone has to appear for the audience.

3.1 Evgenia Medvedeva (Going for gold, with the flow)

The audience, she grabbed with flying colors for sure. Medvedeva is very similar to Adelina, an open minded and naughty but not less charming girl.
I am honest with you guys, what she does is in relation to the music is brilliant. If I ever craft music for a skater, then I would love to see her or him to do what the 15 years old does. Her interpretation skills, are out of this world. She has the ability to feel what she skates to and exactly this makes her performances so magnificent.

All those little emotes, the smiles, the eye contact she keeps with you in the audience, it´s just fabulous skating and very outgoing. Quite often skaters from Russia, tend to be more cool – which is absolutely nothing bad, but with all the huge talents in said country, you need to stand out somehow, especially if you are in the same practice group as the Olympic team champion Julia Lipnitskaia and current JGP Leader Polina Tsurskaya.

"On and off the ice are two different things. Off ice, we all hang out together and have normal relationships. On the ice, we're competitive and we push each other."

What is so remarkable about Evgenia is how honest and determined she is, while being well aware that as a skater, you are always on the edge, the edge of being called a winner or a loser.

"You are always a bit nervous, especially since this is the first big competition of the season. A fall can happen to anyone but you have to get up and continue. You have to give 100 percent and you also learn from that. Nobody is perfect!"

A mindset, which definitely helped her out in the free skate, where she fell on her first double Axel, yet not losing the momentum and coming back strong with a triple Salchow – triple Toe – double toe combination. The 2015 world junior champion performed a total of seven triples, gorgeous spins and created what I like to call, a skate for the audience.

Her programs are crafty, well executed and stand out of the masses, also because of her great difficulty distribution, especially in the short when she skated to “Melodies of a White Night”, receiving 70.92 points.

"It is my second season where I use that layout, at first it was quite hard, now however, I am used to it. I want to get more points and making my program more difficult achieves that."

What she also achieves is skating for the heart, it is a real joy to see her on the ice, that bubbly skater who just wants to perform and entertain you, with her lovely charisma and attitude.

3.2. Julia Lipnitskaia (Struggling with confidence)

Charisma and attitude, also shines when our next competitor steps on the ice. She was already mentioned in my day one review and while she had nothing to do with the medals, she still grabs you, every time, by just being Julia Lipnitskaia.
There is not much make up, no dresses that remind you of red carpets or the never ending smiles, no she is just completely casual and calm, like the girl next door. Her appearance goes back to the essence of figure skating and it seems that she just want´s to skate and not be the next top model and see her face at all the glamour magazines out there.

I said it before, she has a great body to work with and a coolness that should not be mistaken for arrogance or bad manners. Julia, who "only" came sixth and wasn´t too happy about her free skate, just belongs. Her programs are always very special, she is more the quiet type of skater, but not less spectacular in selling said performances.
You just like watching what she does and her exhibition gave us all, a good look into her soul and whoever the person was, she skated for, I hope he or she got the message and understands what a great skater and person the young Russian is.

Julia has made quite a few changes in her life recently after having a hard time since her glorious ride at Sochi and worlds 2014, even thinking about quitting the whole thing, all together.

"I neither wanted to eat or drink – I didn’t want anything. I had no thoughts in my mind. I’ll never forget that time. I just didn’t want to do anything. I felt completely empty and exhausted.
I’ve gone through everything – problems, gossip... I didn’t skate for a long time after the New Year’s Day."

Luckily for our figure skating world, she at one point returned to the ice after giving the whole thing a good thought.

"There were a lot of pros and cons, we thought about all of them and then decided to just let things go and see what happens."

To see what happens, can be quite hard at times, especially if you see a young lady fighting so hard and yet, getting so less back from fans and media. If it works, everyone loves you, if it doesn't, people talk you down, spread rumors and false accusations.

In the process of all of that, she completely lost her confidence and while she didn´t grow that much and her body is rock solid for skating, something else seems to play a big part in Julia´s life, something that put´s all these little voices into her head, telling her, that she can no longer do it.
"At the beginning of the season it was hard to get in shape. Almost a month was lost because of different ills and injuries.
I prepared a lot better for the GP than a while ago for Finlandia and yet, there is a lack of confidence in me. I was ready, so it´s very frustrating for me to start like I did with my Flip."

Said Flip she under-rotated and the following Lutz didn't work out that well either and in general, you could see how insecure she was at times. Still and this I can not stress enough, she needs time and while a figure skating life may seem short, she should take that time. Ignore what haters say, ignore what over enthusiastic fans might want. Just listen to your heart and believe in yourself and stay who you are.

We all have our demons right, it´s important to not let them live our life's.

4.0 Comeback girls (About Mariah & Nicole)

The following two skaters, didn´t have the best placements after their short (11 & 12th). Mariah Bell, the young lady I was so impressed with last year at Nebelhorn and Nicole Rajicova, who skated fabulous at her first GP event, coming 5th in the free skate.
Both ladies, are able to really get under your skin with their performances and especially Nicole made a huge step forward since she started working with Igor Krokavec. Her long program to Doctor Zhivago was flawless and she can be really proud of that, being the only skater of the evening coming clean! If anyone ever doubted the idea of letting an underdog skate at a GP, then just watch her performance. It was brilliant and featured a total of six triples, achieving a technical score of 62.59, just six behind Gracie, granting her a new PB in combined total of 167.32.

"I couldn't be happier with my Grand Prix debut at Skate America!!! Thank you everyone for the incredible support."

The two time Slovak national champion, who was still introduced as Rajic, the name she used while still competing in US regional´s several years ago, shows great maturity and how much she loves to skate. Her next stop will be the GP of China, in the following month.

With regard to Bell, while missing two of her triples on Saturday, she landed five others and once again convinced with two beautiful programs.

"Getting a triple-triple done at my first Grand Prix in the short was huge, and just being able to put out two respectable programs is huge, also. This is the first time this season that I've felt in the moment, and to do it on such a big scale and big stage just gives me more confidence. I'm excited for the rest of the season."

If there is one thing, however, that I would like her to change, then it is the displeasure that she tends to show if something doesn't go as planned. While it is of course charming, it´s also not the best idea to let everyone know, that something went wrong. Smile away the errors and trash a few chairs later, young lady. :laugh:

5.0 Tears don´t lie (Alaine and the triple Axel)

Last but not least, a few words about Alaine who finished 12th. While I am sure she didn't trash anything backstage, she surely had to wipe away quite a lot of tears and it is such a pity you know. The Canadian has one of the best short programs of the season, she just skates Pina so lovely and it is just amazing how naughty and sexy she can be there.
Her free on the other side, is always ambitious, full with difficulties like her triple Axel at the start. Unfortunately, seems exactly this to be the problem. Opening with the toughest jump for the ladies can work, but if it doesn´t, it can blow the rest of the program and leave you with nothing but insecurity and exactly this seemed to have happened with Alaine.

To me, what she does is exactly what I would expect her to do, she is a tough cookie and she want´s to show her full potential to the audience.
If I would be a skater, I would probably do the same, after all she is totally capable of doing that element. Then again, her "Gone With The Wind" program, has such a great flair and her attitude is absolutely gorgeous, that overdoing it, by adding too many difficulties might over-complicate things.

Kaetlyn said it right, if you just have the triple Axel and nothing else, then this won´t get you anywhere. In Alaine´s case, it´s all a learning process and with Brian Orser, she has a patient and a very skilled coach to help her through this. The talent is there, she is definitely one of the future stars, she just needs to be patient and especially look at her SP and see how beautiful her skating can be.

There is a reason why she is recognized by people and you can even say there is a reason why I type this down now and already did so during Nebelhorn. Skaters with attitude and charisma are important for the sport and let´s be honest, this little whirlwind has been so fun to watch and I am sure I wasn't the only one with a tear in his eyes, when she was sitting there, trying to hide her own behind the bouquet of flowers.

Alaine Chartrand, the 19 years old from Prescott, will go her way, I am sure of that and I can not wait to get an interview done with her, to get a few naughty replies for my silly questions.

6.0 Attacking in all kinds of directions (Max Aaron goes for gold)

High on the list of all the ladies, is this young man, Max Aaron. The American, with the incredible calm appearance off ice, convinced with a huge amount of confidence and power during both days. Especially his black swan, offered a huge amount of difficulties, including two quadruple Salchows and triple Axels.

"It feels great to come out here and do what I’ve done in practice every single day. I had a little mishap on the last jumping pass, when I started thinking about the whole performance and what I had put out there. Prior to that, I was staying in the moment and listening to the music. I enjoyed every second of it."

With said performance, the former ice hockey player, vaulted his own PB to 258.95 and is the first American to win at home since his big idol Evan Lysacek in 2009.

6.1 I don´t speak Japanese (Shoma Uno strikes back)

Aaron, who skated the second best FS, was able to defend his lead in front of the 2015 World Junior Champion, Shoma Uno who came back strong, after only being 4th, receiving 257.43 in combined total.

"In the short program, there were a few mistakes. The free went much better. I’m quite happy to win my first silver medal at a Grand Prix and I hope to keep on improving."

In said free, he showed two quadruple toe´s and seven triples, including two Axels and received level fours for his spins. As always, the Japanese skater found something that needs improving.

"I was happy with most of my jumps, but I was focusing on my jumps so my spins and steps were not perfect."

Not perfect eh? Well, I wish I could at least not fall for once when stepping on the ice, but ya, he probably has a different expectation than I do anyways, which reminds me, Adelina when are we going to practice some steps, you promised it! This men´s body and mind, is ready! :laugh2:

6.2 Sexy and he knows it (Jason Brown and the Ladies)

Not sure what this guy promised the girls in Milwaukee, but they always cheered loudest for him and his pony tail! Does it have a name by the way? Well, the skater´s name at least, is Jason Brown and he made a huge jump forward after only being eight in the short, leaving Menshov and the Chinese Han YAN, both with disastrous skates, behind him.

"It’s such an honor to be up here with Max and Shoma. They are amazing and it was so cool to watch them today. I’m super excited about my performance today. I fought the whole way through. It wasn’t perfect by any means, but I’m proud of the fight. I continued to perform through the entire thing."

Jason, former skate America silver medalist, scored 238.47 and landed six triples while also attempting a quad toe.

7.0 How you like our new SP? (Madison & Evan, about their change of tactics)

No jumps can be found in the programs of our next couple, Madison and Evan. While I wrote my day one preview, I spoke about their SD in flying colors. If you now remember my Nebelhorn column, then you might wonder why now and not then already.

The answer to that question is quite simple, because said SD was not there at Oberstdorf. Their interpretation to dark eyes, saw some significant changes as Igor Shpilband explained.

"We cannot afford to have any weak points. Since several people didn't like the polka part, we changed the program completely. Our goal is to win worlds, and you can see by the high score here already, we made the right decision."

If that decision was already made, when I waved goodbye to Madison and Evan at Oberstdorf, I don't know. But I am quite confident, they were thinking about their performances right after leaving the ice. That´s what professionals just do and that´s also why it is so important to get to the ice rink as a fan and let the skaters know, what you think about their programs.

While I would never tell a skater directly that it "sucked" what he or she did, I am still very critical if it comes to some performances, especially in short dance. Quite often, they seem to be very old and dusty, not really my type of thing honestly. Yes, Figure Skating is all about tradition and so, but the limitations in the short, really don't suit my personal taste and that´s why I usually put a much bigger focus on the free dances. That this isn´t the case now, might give you a glimpse of how amazing their new approach was.

"When we chose 'Dark Eyes,' we intended to think out of the box a little bit,

Bates continued,

Our new intent with this program is to demonstrate a traditional foxtrot and look like we're a ballroom dance team out on the ice. I'm very happy with the new program and think we made the right move."

The right move, they certainly did with the whole music part, a foxtrot to Andrea Bocelli's "More" and a waltz to Divo's Italian rendition of "Unchained Melody. Said music, blended so lovely together, that a common issue in figure skating was nowhere to be found.
What I mean with this is quite simple. Too often do skaters have like little cut´s in their programs, especially visible if they don't work with the "top choreographers" in the business. For instance, they start with a pretty fast piece of music and then in the middle, switch over to something that is not only in a different key, but also tempo. This at least for me, destroys a little bit of the magic, as it is like an interruption in the story. We musicians like to call these type of things "train-wrecks", so you might get the idea of what it can feel like at times.

The U.S. Champions obviously felt really good and scored 70.56 for their SD, which is a new seasons best and it is quite remarkable, that they actually only did this whole thing for the third time. Sure, they missed a few levels at their first Ravensburger Waltz section, but seriously three! times... that is just so hard to believe and it shows how talented these wonderful dancers are.

"It's been a little bit of a stressful two weeks for us and a new challenge we've never experienced before, but now was the time and we had to do it."

Bates continued,

"We decided to completely make a fresh short dance and wanted to make something elegant and sophisticated in the ballroom dance world."

Elegant it surely was, especially Madison who has such a seductive way of looking at you, that you don´t know if you should run to or from her. ;) She, is a really fun person who jokes around a lot, very friendly and together with Evan they make a really lovely dance pair, a pair which by the way, also gets along greatly off ice, as Madison mentioned to me at Nebelhorn.

I really love that short dance and their free skate to Concerto No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninov isn´t bad either and has as Madison noted, a very special meaning to them. In total they achieved 173.22 points and they absolutely deserved their second title at Skate America.
They got the high risk elements, especially the entry in the Twizzle during the short was like a rocket and maybe I get the chance this year to actually witness it live, unless both decide to once again, do something totally different! If so though, please call me first and do it one more time just for me, OK?!

8.0 A new love? (Nikita Katsalapov and Victoria Sinitsina about their new feelings)

Totally different, is also the way how Nikita Katsalapov and Victoria Sinitsina appear, compared to the last season. While I am sure, I might get a lot of hate for this now, I really think Victoria is the right girl for Nikita and they came second after all, with two absolutely stunning performances and a combined total of 162.21, a new PB .

The magic they create on ice, is magnificent and they also manage to hit the levels of their elements while having good footwork and smooth lifts. No offense to Elena, but I just didn't buy what she and Nikita did in their last two seasons, even when they won the medals at Sochi. Really, I don't want to trash talk or sound extremely negative, but I just didn't feel any magic there, compared to what they once achieved during junior years. If I am just silly, maybe - but I am always honest so please forgive me.

Therefore, it is remarkable to see how Nikita moved on after all the drama between him and Ilinykh and the first season with Victoria that didn´t work out that well, only coming 4th at the nationals, being attacked for no longer skating with everyone´s darling Elena.

With Victoria, he seems to have found a skater and a woman, who just matches him greatly and I can not help it, but think, there is more going on between the two. As you know, I don't bring up these topics in my columns, as I want to keep the focus on the ice, but ya – they seem both very happy and kind to each other, just wonderful!

"A lot has changed since last season; we have improved a lot,

Katsalapov said.

I really feel my partner, and she feels me. The relationship has become so much closer, and we understand each other so much better."

I also want to send out a big shout out to the other couples, great programs and if you want to know more about, for instance Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin McManus, who came 5th, just check my Nebelhorn report and their lovely video on YT, where they talk about the story behind their impressive FD.

9.0 A look at pairs

Last but not least, I also want to talk a little bit about the pairs competition. Said competition was very special, not just because of Alexa Scimeca and her million reactions, to scores, but also because we saw huge programs from the top 4, with quad twists, triple side by sides and huge lifts.

9.1 Not a couple, yet a couple (Wenjing Sui and Cong Han claim gold)

Let´s start with the winner shall we? Wenjing Sui and Cong Han of China, claimed the throne after coming second in the short, which Alexa & Chris won, by a small margin of 1.41.

What impressed me so much, was definitely the atmosphere and chemistry among the Chinese pair. They skated so close to each other and they acted like one unit on the ice, especially in their free skate to Samson & Delilah, choreographed by Lori Nichol, which featured a quad twist right at the start.

"At first, my partner was like my big brother; he was the leader of our little team, "I really appreciate how he helped me, and led me in the competition and the training. Right now, our relationship is more an equal partnership. We are getting much closer."

Sui added with a clear message to everyone, maybe not fluent in Mandarin

"We are not dating, however!"

Besides their impressive lifts, a side by side triple toe - double toe - double toe combination, and triple throw flip, they also performed a triple Salchow throw, an element they actually did successfully as a quadruple in the practice earlier here at Milwaukee.

This, however, was not a mistake at all, as Han pointed out.

"Our coach has a plan for us. We just listen to him, he is a very excellent coach. Last night, he told us many stories about how we can get better."

Said coach is nobody else than the Olympic Champion Hongbo Zhao, who won gold with Xue Shen in Vancouver. He who is a bit the boss in their trio added,

"I am training China's top four teams and giving them all the same technique for their twists and throws, the technique that I used with my partner."

He continued,

"I did not want Sui and Han to try a throw quad, because the practice today was so early."

9.2 Alexa reacts (Alexa & Chris, scoring silver)

The Chinese pair scored 133.72 points in the free and totaled 202.00 points, claiming the first spot, in front of Alexa and Chris. The Americans and overnight leaders had a few more issues on day two, than previously in their short, where Chris touched down during their side by side Sal, yet delivering a remarkable improvement to their last skate at Nebelhorn. This observation, raised the question if they might not go for too much in their free skate performance to Elizabeth the Golden Age.

"Our jumping passes are very consistent at home. Unfortunately, today when it mattered, we both went down... "

Alexa explained.

"It was one of the very first times we have not had to come back from the short, so it's a little bit of a different energy going in. Hopefully, we will learn how to be ahead in the short and skate a great free, too."

Last but not least, as promised, here is Alexa´s reaction to the free skating scores, always a highlight!

There it says 4th,

she points out while looking at the video screen a little bit disappointed. Chris and Dalilah jump in, quietly mentioning, they are second

Alexa now slowly realizing it,

“second?”

Still unsure if it´s really true,

Yaaaaa, wow, yaaaaa, medal

she screams with huge enthusiasm, while pointing at her chest where the medal will hang in a while.

I don´t know about you guys, but she is so refreshing at the kiss & cry, lovely character and Chris I am sure has a lot to laugh with her on his side.

9.3 If you’ve only got a moustache (Tips for your first date, by Julianne and Charlie)

A lot to laugh, I always have with these two and their exhibition skate. Based on what they try to tell us, a man can get every girl, as long, he has a mustache! Without mustaches however, the lovely Julianne Séguin and Charlie Bilodeau breezed through their programs, making it look so easy and calm, yet spectacular like with their huge triple throw loop element in the free while skating to A Whiter Shade of Pale.

I cannot help it, but since I saw them last season and how kind they are to each other and appreciate the attention they get from fans and the press, those two made me very curious about their future development.

It´s not just the funny exhibitions and high class competitions, it´s also a lot about who they are and how they present themselves. They do not rush things as Julianne mentioned.

Our only goal this season was to deliver beautiful programs, and that's what we did. We're really happy with the score and that's a plus. We have nothing to lose right now. Of course, we think about someday being Canadian champions, but we don't put any pressure on ourselves. One day it could be us, if we continue this way.

The lovely couple from Québec which originally came over to improve the PB slightly, made a huge improvement by more than 10 points, achieving a combined total of 189.49.

4th came the Russian Olympic silver medalists Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov, who skated the second best FS, but lost a lot of points in their short, finishing with a combined total of 189.06. Both by the way, intend to add a quad throw element at the second half of the season, most likely at the Europeans.

10. Waving Goodbye

As always, writing about everyone is sadly not possible. I could have named so many more like the wonderful lady from Japan, Satoko Miyahara who impressed me so much with her appearance and graceful attitude, or Jessica Pfund and Joshua Santillan, the Americans who came 8th in pairs and skated a lovely free program, especially if you consider them only being together for six months and not making any mistakes on Saturday.

To me, figure skating is a beautiful sport with so much to discover and even though I could not go to Skate America myself, I felt like still writing about it. Maybe next year, who knows... so, thanks for reading folks and I hope a few of the comments were informative and that you are not too angry about my partial rant´s about fans, who just take things a bit too far at times.

Cheers!

P.S. any typos or wrong fact´s please tell me ;)

Layback11

Record Breaker
Alex D-thanks so much for doing that! It's really informative and fun to get that kind of content from competitions. Keep up the good work! :yes: