On the taboo against self-teaching | Page 2 | Golden Skate

On the taboo against self-teaching

sampaguita

Rinkside
Why not, in person?

If the coach is on skates, they can go anywhere on the rink they need to see the element from whichever angle they need.

If they're not on skates, they can still walk around the outside of the ice to different locations as needed, with some angles perhaps limited by the architecture etc. of the rink.

They can also ask the skater to try something again in a different part of the ice or with a different angle of approach, so they can see the move from a different angle.

With video, especially with a fixed camera position, that is not possible.
Ah fair point, I feel stupid, haha. I guess I've just never had coaches who moved while I was doing an element or who made me do it from another angle in the interest of getting a 360 view. I still think a camera can have a 360 view though in the exact same way.

Arwen17

Final Flight
Most of the time the camera is on the boards, or I suppose you could ask a friend to video you, but each video is from a single location.

My coach sometimes takes video to show me what I'm doing, whilst they are on the ice with me, and they will then walk through the video in slow motion, but the difference is that they are doing that in real time, and they can explain it to me, and watch me make the changes they are suggesting to ensure I understand.

My coach does this too, along with moving around to view me from different angles etc.

She’s also very particular that I watch her demonstrating from the correct angle. I have a tendency to view from the wrong place, so I get the “what do you expect to see from over there?” comment lol

christy

On the Ice
My coach does this too, along with moving around to view me from different angles etc.

She’s also very particular that I watch her demonstrating from the correct angle. I have a tendency to view from the wrong place, so I get the “what do you expect to see from over there?” comment lol
And this is also a very important element of in-person coaching