One foot glides advice | Golden Skate

One foot glides advice

WingedScapula

Rinkside
I’m currently learning one foot glides in an adult LTS class and was hoping to get some clarification for the technical aspects of it. When balancing on the foot, should I be relying at all on the sides of the skates to keep my ankle upright? I’ve found myself putting my foot in eversion to lock my leg against the skate too keep it stable laterally. I feel like this might be putting more weight towards the inside edge though. Is this incorrect? I’ve also been doing forward strokes to try to work on my balance but still slam the opposite foot down loudly so my balance isn’t there. Any tips?

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I’m currently learning one foot glides in an adult LTS class and was hoping to get some clarification for the technical aspects of it. When balancing on the foot, should I be relying at all on the sides of the skates to keep my ankle upright? I’ve found myself putting my foot in eversion to lock my leg against the skate too keep it stable laterally. I feel like this might be putting more weight towards the inside edge though. Is this incorrect? I’ve also been doing forward strokes to try to work on my balance but still slam the opposite foot down loudly so my balance isn’t there. Any tips?
Some additional info would help:

* What is your height and weight?

* What boots and blades are you skating on?

* If they are a pre-mounted kit, are the blades fastened with screws or rivets?

* What condition (new, used) are the boots?

* Where did you get them (e.g., at a shop where you were properly fitted and the blades were properly sharpened)?

WingedScapula

Rinkside
Some additional info would help:

* What is your height and weight?

* What boots and blades are you skating on?

* If they are a pre-mounted kit, are the blades fastened with screws or rivets?

* What condition (new, used) are the boots?

* Where did you get them (e.g., at a shop where you were properly fitted and the blades were properly sharpened)?
Male, 5’ 10" 145lbs. New Jackson 452 skates with Ultima Mk I blades fastened by screw that were fitted at a shop.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Let's wait for confirmation from someone familiar with your skates. But just judging from where they fall in the Jackson lineup, I believe they are way too mushy for you. The local tech I go to would not put you in anything less than the Jackson Freestyle.

WingedScapula

Rinkside
Let's wait for confirmation from someone familiar with your skates. But just judging from where they fall in the Jackson lineup, I believe they are way too mushy for you. The local tech I go to would not put you in anything less than the Jackson Freestyle.
That'd be unfortunate if that were the case. I remember the tech I worked with did ask for my weight though.

In retrospect, I remember that I usually leave the top two lace loops a bit looser because otherwise I find my foot cannot flex upwards enough to my liking. When I first started with these skates, I found I often had to skate with knees bent due to lack of confidence when upright. I usually aim to fit 2 fingers behind the tongue. I've found that if it's too tight, anytime I bend my knees or try to get into a squat position (for dips), my shin is pressing forward on the boot and I feel the toe pick might catch. I've had less issues with the toe pick catching since loosening the laces at the top or maybe I'm just getting better at avoiding it. Regardless, I should try to tighten my skates up more the next time I'm at the rink.

Edit:
Should also mention that I probably have only at most 10 hours with the skates since I first got them.

Last edited:

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If your LTS instructor is experienced, have them check your boots. There's no point in trying to refine technique until you first verify your boots are adequate and fitting properly, and that you're breaking them in properly.

WingedScapula

Rinkside
If your LTS instructor is experienced, have them check your boots. There's no point in trying to refine technique until you first verify your boots are adequate and fitting properly, and that you're breaking them in properly.
Thanks. I’ll do that first then.

Lucie

Rinkside
This is going to be a big part of it, if you are everting (or pronating) and leaning onto your inside edge you aren’t getting your weight over your supporting leg and will fall back towards your midline. Most beginners do this as it feels more stable. Thinking of lifting the free hip will help but this won’t help if you are pronating, you need to push into your little toe to get your foot upright. If your boots aren’t stiff enough this will also not be helping as they won’t support your ankles adequately for you to feel secure doing this. If your
feet pronate when barefoot on solid ground as well then you should speak to your skate tech about moving your blade to compensate for this, and about getting insoles with arch support to suit your feet.

Last edited:

WingedScapula

Rinkside
This is going to be a big part of it, if you are everting (or pronating) and leaning onto your inside edge you aren’t getting your weight over your supporting leg and will fall back towards your midline. Most beginners do this as it feels more stable. Thinking of lifting the free hip will help but this won’t help if you are pronating, you need to push into your little toe to get your foot upright. If your boots aren’t stiff enough this will also not be helping as they won’t support your ankles adequately for you to feel secure doing this. If your
feet pronate when barefoot on solid ground as well then you should speak to your skate tech about moving your blade to compensate for this, and about getting insoles with arch support to suit your feet.
Thank you for the advice. My coach has noticed the poor ankle support and has suggested tighter lacing on the hooks while leaving the top hook free to still permit ankle bending. Along with thinking of lifting my free hip, I've managed maybe 2 seconds glide on my right foot but still struggle to get 1 second on the left foot. Asides from the poor support from the skates (in which I still don't feel very secure in terms of lateral ankle support), do you have any suggestions to strengthen my left foot (it has no history of injury)?

WingedScapula

Rinkside
My instructor has suggest leaving the top hook undone but cinching the lace on the remaining hooks extra tight. I've found it somewhat helpful for lateral support but with somewhat reduced ease of ankle flexion. She noted improvement in support but didn't seem entirely convinced that the support issue was fixed.

I previously went to the skate shop for advice and the tech noted that yes, I was previously keeping my laces too loose. I guess I just have to find the balanced between lace tightness, freedom of ankle bending, and lateral support until I get better supporting skates.

Friday

Rinkside
Thank you for the advice. My coach has noticed the poor ankle support and has suggested tighter lacing on the hooks while leaving the top hook free to still permit ankle bending. Along with thinking of lifting my free hip, I've managed maybe 2 seconds glide on my right foot but still struggle to get 1 second on the left foot. Asides from the poor support from the skates (in which I still don't feel very secure in terms of lateral ankle support), do you have any suggestions to strengthen my left foot (it has no history of injury)?
Just butting in here: of course you don't have any support in your skates, because those Finesse are recreational figure skates meant for children. It's extremely unsafe for you to learn anything in those and I would recommend seeing an other fitter asap.
If you are unsure about fitters and possible skate options, then you could make another post about that - there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who I'm sure would happily help you to find new, suitable skates.

Lucie

Rinkside

Without seeing you and knowing your individual situation and physical conditioning background it is difficult to advise on strengthening but tbh you probably need to work on the entire muscle chain from foot to hip and also core and back. I would start with parallel heel lifts, lightly holding the back of a chair on one leg rising to tip toe as high as possible, working leg straight.16 reps each side daily as we do after company ballet class - studies have shown it reduces risk of ankle injury in dancers. Done properly this should work every muscle in your foot and leg as well as your core - you should be using your core to lift your weight out of your pelvis as you do this, with glutes engaged and tucked under, upper body leaning slightly forward but engaging the core so your ribs are not flaring out forwards and your back is not curving backwards.
Work on one foot balances off ice too, thinking about engaging your core and pelvic floor - pulling tummy button back to spine - watch some Pilates videos on core engagement if you’ve never done this before. If you struggle with core strength- and I don’t mean sit-ups as they are a totally different thing - try Pilates style planks and Pilates style sit ups and reverse sit ups.
To strengthen the foot arch start with toe exercises- tracing letters with your toes on the floor. If this is easy try arch ‘crunches’ - pulling the ball of the foot towards the heel without moving the heel, start with the heel on a hard floor and ball of foot on a towel and try to slide the towel towards the heel of your foot - don’t worry if it doesn’t move much, we use it in ballet to build flexibility and strengthen for pointe work, for your purposes it is enough to feel the arch muscles contract even if your foot doesn’t move. Your feet may cramp- this is normal, give them a nice rub afterwards or gently roll them over a tennis ball.

Honestly though those boots aren’t doing you any favours, they’re a stiffness rating of only 9!!! Jackson’s guide recommends them for LTS 1-2 for children weighing less than 40lbs, they are not going to provide anything near adequate or even safe support for a grown man! If the Jackson fit suits you you should be in nothing softer than the Freestyle (50) if you want a set that comes with a blade, or maybe the Graf 500 or Ace if you’re in Europe as they are cheaper than Jackson in Europe - if you’re in the US though they will be harder to get hold of.

Last edited:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Honestly though those boots aren’t doing you any favours, they’re a stiffness rating of only 9!!! Jackson’s guide recommends them for LTS 1-2 for children weighing less than 40lbs, they are not going to provide anything near adequate or even safe support for a grown man! If the Jackson fit suits you you should be in nothing softer than the Freestyle (50) if you want a set that comes with a blade, or maybe the Graf 500 or Ace if you’re in Europe as they are cheaper than Jackson in Europe - if you’re in the US though they will be harder to get hold of.
I have no idea why Jackson would make boots in sizes to fit an adult male if they're really only aimed at children. I'm not doubting it, just don't understand it.

Friday

Rinkside
I have no idea why Jackson would make boots in sizes to fit an adult male if they're really only aimed at children. I'm not doubting it, just don't understand it.
I suspect that those are more aimed at casual christmas skaters that want their skates to look like figure skates.

Lucie

Rinkside
Yeah me neither, other than that Jackson realise they can make money out of people who want a cheap boot as an alternative to rentals for their once a year seasonal skate

WingedScapula

Rinkside
So today I was able to skate a couple hours before classes at noon when there is barely anyone around. Your advice helped a lot! My non-dominant one foot glides have progressed from 1-2 seconds to maybe 3-4 seconds. Doesn’t fix the poor stability obviously but I found I was struggling to trust my left leg so I had to mentally force myself over. Hoping new skates will help even more.

Lucie

Rinkside
So today I was able to skate a couple hours before classes at noon when there is barely anyone around. Your advice helped a lot! My non-dominant one foot glides have progressed from 1-2 seconds to maybe 3-4 seconds. Doesn’t fix the poor stability obviously but I found I was struggling to trust my left leg so I had to mentally force myself over. Hoping new skates will help even more.
Yay! I’m so glad! Hopefully once you get some properly supportive boots things will go from strength to strength 😊