One Moment in Time | Page 2 | Golden Skate

One Moment in Time

mrrice

Record Breaker
About Maria Butyrskaia's music, I bellieve tht she was the first (in 1997) to skate to Otonal (it was released im 1991). Since then of course it has become a figure skating staple, for both men and women, having been used by quite a few skaters, most notably Johnnie Weir and Yuzuru Hanyu.

But I liked her short program music even better: St James Infirmary. I think her version was taken from the soundtrack to Once Upon a Time in America, but the song itself has a tamgled history going back more than a century. In fact, the copyright case reached the U.S. Suprmeme Court.

I was really impressed that Maria used St James Infirmary. It was unusual and she really did a great job with the interpretation. When I saw it at Worlds I couldn't believe how smooth and cool she was. She winked and flirted with the judges and I had great seats and just swooned the whole time.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I love Jason's River Dance, I wouldn't call it his 'moment' as I've seen even better skates of his since then (more recently) but Javiers Guys and Dolls in 2016 was one of his two moments (his La Mancha skate at the OG in 2018 is one I keep on rewachting) - thank you @Arriba627 . And Sweet Dreams by Manta and Johnson was also unforgettable (lovely @skylark ).
I've seen Jason live many times and have loved many of his programs / skates, but I think the programs I picked were (for me) ones where the skater held the audience in the palm of his hand. The incredible surge of energy and support from the audiences helped to make the skate memorable. In all 3 that I mentioned, the audience was having a hard time staying seated at the end but didn't want to break the skaters' concentration by starting the standing ovation too soon! I look forward to many more moments like this and hope the 21-22 season will have some great ones! !

I loved Aljona and Bruno's Olys FS too and watched it too many times to count! :biggrin:

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'd like to nominate a very recent great moment!

Olga Mikutina burst on the scene at 2021 Worlds and had the competition of her life (so far!) - but for me, the moment was her freeskate, where she skated her heart out and took 7th place, holding her own against a seasoned and competitive field.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can post one in which I could not agree more with Skater Boy:

Rudy Galindo, 1996 US Nats (and the KnC is as good as the skate) . A skate and a moment for the ages::clap:

I just went and rewatched it (thanks for the link) and Dick Button couldnā€™t contain himself! It was adorable! And Brian Boitano commenting -NBC, why canā€™t we have nice things? And the audience chanting 6! 6! 6! All things I miss about figure skating.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm hoping that Brandon Frazier and Alexa Knierem have more great moments but I loved the absolute look of surprise and disbelief on Brandon's face when their freeskate scores were announced at US Nationals. Given the amount of time they had together and the complexities of pairs skating, their win was truly amazing.

And I have to agree about Rudi Galindo. His upbringing, the dissolution of his pairs with Kristi, and all the other hardships and emotional crises he endured all were in the past in that one perfect moment!

And even though they were more subdued than I was watching them, I felt pure bliss when Charlie and Meryl won their Olympic Gold Medal. That was some competition!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
To be fair Davis and White had many great skates and were on top for a while. They had many moments as great champions.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ā›øļø
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
IDK that I would consider Davis/White to be one moment in time. They had many years and competitions "on top" of the podium nationally and internationally. I'd reserve that title for someone like Ilinykh/Katsalapov or Shibs who broke through at the Olympics and got on podium.

Weathergal

Medalist
IDK that I would consider Davis/White to be one moment in time. They had many years and competitions "on top" of the podium nationally and internationally. I'd reserve that title for someone like Ilinykh/Katsalapov or Shibs who broke through at the Olympics and got on podium.

I agree.

Sarah Maier winning gold at 2011 Europeans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY1UkZlzu5A

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Tatiana Malinina winning the 1998/99 GPF.

ABC video

I remember her jumping up and down at the end of her skate. Either ABC didn't show it or I am remembering a different performance/skater.

But this is definitely a once in a lifetime one.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'd like to nominate a very recent great moment!

Olga Mikutina burst on the scene at 2021 Worlds and had the competition of her life (so far!) - but for me, the moment was her freeskate, where she skated her heart out and took 7th place, holding her own against a seasoned and competitive field.

I think a lot of us are waiting to see what she does. If she continues to progress. I see that with Loena and Pagiani - one wonders will they progress to the top or a medal. When I first started watching skater there was a skater that won so many bronze medals at euros but she never seemed to do it at worlds or the olympics. Viktoria Volchkova. Ilike that she was unphased by the pressure of worlds.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Artur Gachinsky- WC 2011
Yes! Or the Euros silver the following season - where he actually beat Plushenko in the SP.

For me it has to be Joshua Farris' silver medal at 2015 4CC. He was magnificent. And we didn't know. We didn't know. šŸ˜­

Max Aaron's Skate America gold is probably another one. For a moment, everything looked great, and on the up. And then it just stopped going his way.