Opinions on coach hamish patreon and bootcamp on ice? | Golden Skate

Opinions on coach hamish patreon and bootcamp on ice?

faunneverhors

Spectator
Hi! My rink is closed in the summer but I would like to join coach Hamish patreon. does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth it?
I was also thinking about joining bootcamp on ice by Jorick Hendrickx, can anyone tell me if it’s a good camp and how you liked it? I’m scared it will be to intense for me as I’m not used to being on the ice for so long and doing off ice? (I would join the silver level.)

a bit about me: 16 years old, working on all single jumps except axel. working on camel and sit spin. I can do scratch spin and back scratch. Not competing and normally train 2-3 times on ice.

thanks.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi! My rink is closed in the summer but I would like to join coach Hamish patreon. does anyone have experience with this? Is it worth it?
I was also thinking about joining bootcamp on ice by Jorick Hendrickx, can anyone tell me if it’s a good camp and how you liked it? I’m scared it will be to intense for me as I’m not used to being on the ice for so long and doing off ice? (I would join the silver level.)

a bit about me: 16 years old, working on all single jumps except axel. working on camel and sit spin. I can do scratch spin and back scratch. Not competing and normally train 2-3 times on ice.

thanks.
For Hendrickx camp even the silver level you need to have ALL single jumps including AXEL. IIRC-You would be doing 2 on-ice sessions daily and one off ice session daily for a full week. This may be too intense for you at this time.

faunneverhors

Spectator
For Hendrickx camp even the silver level you need to have ALL single jumps including AXEL. IIRC-You would be doing 2 on-ice sessions daily and one off ice session daily for a full week. This may be too intense for you at this time.
Ok thanks. I know some kids who didn’t have their axel yet and went anyway so that’s not a problem.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Ok thanks. I know some kids who didn’t have their axel yet and went anyway so that’s not a problem.
Have you discussed things with your coach? Strangers on the internet can only give general advice about whether you would be likely to be ready for the course, based on the information you have provided, so you do need to discuss things with people who know you as a skater and know the demands of the course. Does your coach think you are ready for the boot camp? Do the people you know who have been to it think you are ready? It sounds like you would suddenly be going from skating 2-3 times per week with no off-ice sessions to 2 times per day with a third session off-ice. If you are not ready, that sort of abrupt increase could leave you at greater risk of injury (especially if the work is also at the limits of what you are technically capable of), so it is important to seek advice from someone like your coach. Ic3Rabbit is extremely well connected in the skating world and knows what she is talking about, so please give serious consideration to her concerns about it being too intense for you at the moment.

faunneverhors

Spectator
Have you discussed things with your coach? Strangers on the internet can only give general advice about whether you would be likely to be ready for the course, based on the information you have provided, so you do need to discuss things with people who know you as a skater and know the demands of the course. Does your coach think you are ready for the boot camp? Do the people you know who have been to it think you are ready? It sounds like you would suddenly be going from skating 2-3 times per week with no off-ice sessions to 2 times per day with a third session off-ice. If you are not ready, that sort of abrupt increase could leave you at greater risk of injury (especially if the work is also at the limits of what you are technically capable of), so it is important to seek advice from someone like your coach. Ic3Rabbit is extremely well connected in the skating world and knows what she is talking about, so please give serious consideration to her concerns about it being too intense for you at the moment.
Sadly I can’t ask the people I know who have been there because I don’t know them directly (I just know them from seeing them at my rink) and they are about 7 years old so I’m not sure they will help. My coach said it’s okay but it might be a bit intense.
I’ll still think about and maybe only sign up for the patreon I mentioned. 🙃 Do you by any chance maybe know other camps I could join if this one is not right for me atm?

sk8dreamzzzz

Rinkside
I looked at the bootcamp website. It looks fun and it doesn't start till basically August (July dates are all sold out). They list 2 ice sessions and 1 off ice per day. What they don't say is how long the sessions are. 45 mins? 2 hrs each? It might be worth asking. It also appears the bootcamps are only 4-5 days.

You could start virtual off ice now with Coach Hamish to prep you for off ice. If money is not an issue, I would say go for it, just don't be afraid to take breaks when you need or miss a session if it's too much for you.

I did a week long ice camp in 2021 and I couldn't do anything more than a waltz jump before getting there. I was afraid it would be too intense, but the coaches immediately recognised my low level and gave me appropriate things to work on. It was a lot of cross overs, edges, Mohawks and 2 tiny jumps. My crossovers got much better and I was less afraid of jumping by the end of the week. Being on the ice daily helped immensely with stability. It was really fun and sometimes I had to sit out for the off ice training when it was too much for me. I think I only did 2 or 3 off-ice sessions in the end. No one minded, I just did what I could and if I was too tired for more, I went to the hotel and slept like a baby. Surprisingly, I didn't have any injuries or even pain despite increasing my training by about 3-5 more hours per day. We did stretch intensely for 45 min every day. I think that was very important for injury prevention. Sleeping 12 hours a day may have also helped?

I'm middle aged and you are 16. You can keep in mind what your maximum is right now and just don't push yourself past that even if the class is doing X and you really want to. Easier said than done.

I kinda want to go now, too! Ah camp dreamzzzz...

lilimum

On the Ice
Country
Germany
This camp offers a level that would fit to your level. Mostly one unit is 45 or 50 minutes, so 3 x 50 minutes trainings a day is feasible. But of course this depends on your personal fitness.
And a camp with international top level coaches and skaters is a great experience.
A problem I see with only online classes is the danger that you get used to technical mistakes because no coach is there to supervise the correct execution of excercises. And it is a very long way to get rid of this mistakes later one,

Last edited: