Pairs' SP - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pairs' SP - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From Morozov:

“I don’t think these were terrible mistakes,” responded Morozov, when asked to compare their their performances from earlier this season. “There were some good starts and bad ones, but everybody’s working at it and improving their program, their skating. We’ve been working for these Olympic Games. Today we showed you the result of our work.”

I really enjoyed that several of the skaters quoted spoke about a goal being to enjoy their skating! And also, Sui's remarks about being friends and competitors with T/M.

ffloweer

Rinkside
Country
Argentina
Sui and Han slayed! Did anyone else noticed that at the very beginning of the program she opened her eyes on time with the music? Such detail in everything! I love them and I am not objective at all, but I think they were the best of this night.
And T/M were so fantastic! I don't conect that much with their skating, but I don't remember when was the last time I've seen them skate so well, and they did it when it mattered the most. Congrats! I hope they keep like this tomorrow!
Peng and Jin were so good, a perfect skate in home ice! And they've got the scores too!
I really loved this event, great skating all around. I'm a little bit sad for the austrians, though, I have always enjoyed their skating and I was hoping to see them on the free.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Such a satisfying short competition with many great skates. Sui and Han really delivered, and Peng and Jin looked like they were having a great old time out there! Thought Alexa looked super nervous, but they did great. Did anyone catch when the camera flashed to Ashley's nails and she had the Oly rings on one of her nails? Awesome. Felt really bad for KMT and Michael. I don't think I've ever seen where someone launches a throw like that and both people fall. Miura and Kihara looked disappointed. They lost a couple levels and she doubled her toe loop, but I still liked their performance. Happy for Tarasova and Morozov.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks. I had thought pairs had been first too, but couldn’t really remember.

Definitely glad they changed the order this year. Perfect timing. I thought they’d ended with women’s because it seems to be the favorite? But- maybe that had nothing to do with it.
They changed it because China has the best medal chance in pairs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
pairs was the best competition in the SP so far with the top 3 delivering more than amazing programs. Sui-Han were so fierce ! I was impressed with TM as usually I find them flat but they were elegant and exquisite ! I cannot take my eyes of MG though when watching TM and SH, it's clear that they do not yet have the refinement of the other two though they do not lack in flair ! Scary double fall throw from MTM2.0 It was very unexpected, especially considering how solid they are on throw, their best element usually. Death spirals often received low levels (Base level or 2) and didn't look very good.... which is also a weird thing for such high level pairs.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
MTM2.0 had a similar double fall on a throw earlier this season. This time, she seemed really mad at her partner.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I missed them live, but caught on the replay:

I like the Spanish pair. They were new to me, and it will be fun to follow them in the years ahead.
Forgot to include them. They were great and so thrilled with their skate. It felt good to see some infectious joy. They'll be fun to watch in the future!!!

readernick

Medalist
MTM2.0 had a similar double fall on a throw earlier this season. This time, she seemed really mad at her partner.
I think it happened at 2019 GPF ( if I'm not mistaken) so not this year but it is a weird issue. I don't think his fall caused her fall. She just slipped off the blade but it is a weird mistake. I didn't think she looked angry, just sad...

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
. Did anyone catch when the camera flashed to Ashley's nails and she had the Oly rings on one of her nails? Awesome.

Ashley said in her IG stories that Madison Hubbell did her nails. 💅She even gave a shout out to the decal maker (whose name I forget).

Loved Ashley and Timothy. Not only a mostly clean skate with the beautiful lines they are famous for, but they were so happy, it was adorable.
(Minor criticism: I liked the old gray turtleneck better for Timothy than the white however.)

readernick

Medalist
Well, despite scores that sometimes suggest otherwise, I've also thought S/ H and T/ M are the class of the field. S/ H are just such dramatic and refined performers and their elements work so well with the music. T/ M aren't my favorite in terms of program selection or performance ( she's pretty good, but he doesn't try much) however their SS are so good and their elements so perfect that I love them, too.

Moskvina's teams were good. But, I think I have grown tired of M/ G's SP which I loved when they first debuted it. I really like B/ K but I found them a bit messy here and would have had them 4 or so points lower.

P/ J's program may not be to everyone's taste but I enjoy their unique performance energy and imho they actually have the best twist in the field and their other pairs elements are also good!

Great showings from both American teams!

The Japanese team was loveable as always but she looked disappointed. I think she is too hard on herself. She needs to recognize her incredible skill!

Sad for MT/M and Z/F. Other than that most teams performed to potential.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
P/ J's program may not be too everyone's taste but I enjoy their unique performance energy and imho they actually have the best twist in the field and their other pairs elements are also good!
I've always loved Peng and Jin. They bring an infectious joy and energy to their programs that I love. After the short competition was over, the first thing I did was re-watch their "Alegria" Skate America 2019 program, probably for.the 50th time! :laugh2:Not a perfect skate by any means, but they were so utterly charming and joyful. I hope they do great in the free.

Gourlie

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I've always loved Peng and Jin. They bring an infectious joy and energy to their programs that I love. After the short competition was over, the first thing I did was re-watch their "Alegria" Skate America 2019 program, probably for.the 50th time! :laugh2:Not a perfect skate by any means, but they were so utterly charming and joyful. I hope they do great in the free.
Alegria is my favorite program from them too! Even better than Ophelia in my opinion, it is such a different program from any other. 🤩 I hope that they skate in second to last group will help them from the pressure today.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Best SP of the four disciplines and I was so happy to see P/J at their best! Also I love T/M's costumes and it was great to see them skate clean! :love2:

ks777

Record Breaker
Kihara/Miura could have placed 5th if they went clean in SP.. oh well.

Dpbthomas1

On the Ice
Sui and Han -- spectacular! Full of interesting choreography and details and executed perfectly! Their technical skills are great, as are a few of the other teams .. but their artistry is at another level. Couldn't take my eyes off them. Magical.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've been on a little holiday, so I missed out on the most interesting and wonderful competition of the whole OG. I'm biased of course because Pairs are my favourite discipline, but thankfully I read that many others thought so too (and not just the pairs fanatics either). I did watch the short this evening, and here's my review. A bit of mustard after the meal (Dutch expression) but still. In order of appearance:

A really good start for Karina and Luca. They've really shown Georgia proud this year. So young and already at this level. Good for them!

Oh my, didn't Alexia and Brandon skate well this night. What a joy to watch them.

A bit of a bummer for Vanessa and Eric. Not really bad, just not really good either. Beautiful skaters, both of them. But why is there so little connection (I'm not talking about the popped salchow, that can happen)?

Riku and Ryuichi continue to amaze. A pity the nerves were playing up a bit, but I thought their coach handled that very well. It was still a beautiful skate, and rewarded for it. As it should be.

Poor Miriam and Severin. I had so hoped for them to reach the final at an OG. Not to be with this performance. They tried, it's not as if they just let go. But, suffering from injuries and lack of competitions does count. Alas.

I have a soft spot for Laura and Marco, not because they're the first Spanish team at an OG (although that plays a part) but also because of their connection. And, but that's just me liking tall men, his height looks just so good! And wasn't their reaction at the end just wonderful? Especially hers. Olympic moment allright.

Jelizaveta and Martin did not not do so well. Not a terrible skate, but 2 falls are costly, and in this case cost them the final.

I loved Hailey's reaction after the skate, and she was the star of the performance, Evgeni lacking a bit this time round. But they made it!

I love Nicole and Matteo, and I find it heartbreaking they are stagnating. I know they're at the end of their careers together, but ot would have been nice for them to go out with a bang. They're still lovely to watch though.

I am so happy Minerva Fabienne (that wonderful name!) and Nolan made it to the final. Not their best SP by any means, but still. After having to miss the TE: kudos to them.

OMG, what happened there with that throw? I felt sorry for Kirstin and Michael. Keegan kept everybody's spirits up, but it was still a bad skate for them.

Ashley and Tim finally got rewarded for their beautiful SP. I've been watching it all season and all the time thinking they were undermarked with that awesome White Crow programme. It shows their lines to good effect, it shows their flexibility and it's just d**ned good to the music. And now, when Ashley has a (small) mistake on the throw, they get their SB. I would have given them such points much earlier in the season when they were cleaner. But they got them today! Yay!

Cheng and Yang had their best SP ever. And didn't she know it at the end. Good to see her so pleased. Made me sniff (in a good way).

Rebecca and Filippo didn't have their best skate this evening. I've seen them do this SP so much better. Happy they made the final but (as Simon and Chris would say) 'by the skin of their teeth'.

Anastasiia and Alexandr performed well (as they usually do) but somehow I found their performance a bit lacking this evening. Did the OG 'get' to them? Did the fact that they did both the TE (and with some real problems in the FS) and the individual have repercussions? Not that they had a bad outig. Just not so inspiring.

Talking about inspiring, Sui and Han were totally so. This Spanish programme is perfect for them as it shows their strengths to the best. It's just great that both skaters are so expressive - and, yes, wooden too when the music asks for just that - and they really skate to the music. The real Dance with Pair elements. I was in awe all the way through.

I was also in awe when Evgenia and Vladimir skated. A totally different experience from Sui and Han, but also inspiring. A good music choice can do wonders when skaters - especially Vladimir - are less expressive but definitely first class when it comee to the skating skills.

Which turned Alexandra's and Dmitrii's skate into a bit of an anti-climax. They skated well, just not so inspiring as the two couples before them. And they did had some slight problems. Not devastating, just there.

All-in-all, I loved it. I thought it was funny to see the numbers 1 and 2 from the SP in 2018 back at the same placements now. The outcome will be different this time round (spoiler, I already know the outcome), but it's still wonderful to see the veterans picking up.