Free Dance - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Free Dance - 2022 Olympics: Thoughts?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I've finally found the time to watch the FD. I already knew the outcome regarding the medals but I still wished to just enjoy the skating - and I did. Just as in the RD I have to admit I'm no expert on judging. I can see flagrant mistakes (falls, no synchronisation when it is required and stuff) but that's it. So, it's just about the impression and the feels I suppose.

Let me say first I enjoyed quite a few programmes/performances in the lower ranked groups.

The Taschler siblings continue to impress me. They did it in the TE and the RD, they did it again in the FD. Also, I loved their costumes.

Juulia and Matthias from Finland also had a beautiful performance. I loved that Dance at Nebelhorn, and it's got even better since then.

Diana and Gleb, what can I say? Not badly skated or anything, just no Moulin Rouge vibe. That may be difficult when you're young (and they are) but why choose it if you're not there yet.

Marjorie and Zachary just showed what you can do well when you're a bit younger. Great interpretation of Rio stuff, including the costumes.

I have also become a fan of the Chinese couple this season. Better maybe in the RD (his Elvis is fantastic) but this was good too. Funnily, in the pairs both Chinese couples are of similar height while these two have rather a big difference in height. Usually, it's the other way round!

I love Kaitlin and Jean Luc, and I suppose I will never 'get' why they get scored so low. They had such a beautful Dance, and they're not even top 10.

I like Lilah and Lewis better as disco Brits. The second part of the Dance was more appealing than the first part and that was a pity because if the whole dance had been as good as the second part, they might have ranked higher..

I've never seen Olivia and Adrian do better than this, and I've loved their Zorro Dance all season. What a great way to skate at the Olympics. Those little duels are so well done, and I totally forgot to even look closely at their elements because I was totally into it. Well done!

Laurence and Nikolaj weren't at their best. I was quite impressed by their FD at Canadian Nationals (which I luckily could watch) but this night it just didn't work for me. Still, good for them to be in the top 10, but I think it was right that Olivia and Adrian passed them by.

Piper and Paul have a beautiful Dance, but with mistakes you do tend to lose points. I felt so sorry for them (Piper in the K&C was heartbreaking).

Charlene and Marco were superb. That Dance really fits them, and they executed it all so well. I was so pleased for them they managed to rise two places.

With Alexandra and Ivan a similar thing happened as with Piper and Paul. A beautiful Dance (they are my favourite Russian ID pair) which went well, until nearly the end where something slipped. And down they went in the standings (still 6th but it could have been so much better).

I really enjoyed Madison and Evan's Dance. I like the concept which is different, I love their execution of the theme. And, secretly, I was thinking of all the beautiful aliens in 60's Startrek where Captain Kirk always got to kiss them. Probably not done, this thought

Madison and Zachary had a great performance! It's somewhat less to my personal taste than the 'Alien' Dance but very well performed. A pity about the deduction but even without it they wouldn't have gotten silver. They would have been second in the FD though.

I can't help it, but Victoria and Nikita's Dance bores me a little. It was well performed and executed, no doubt about it, it just bores me. I started looking for a cat to stroke and do something else than watching. Sorry fans!

Last but definitely not least: Gabrielle and Guillaume were in a class of their own. So impressive, so beautiful. They are so versatile - their RD was such a different style and also easily the best of the pack. And this Dance was wonderful, the flow, the edges, everything. I am so happy for them that they got the gold.

All-in-all a lovely evening of Ice Dancing.

Last edited:

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Sorry but I never watch dance so I'm not going to know anyone's names!!!!

I loved the bronze team best!!!!! I thought they were so good!!!!!! I can see why the gold team won but I really enjoyed the bronze team! They were very dancy!!!

I'm watching dance sporadically to try and figure out "skating skills" in singlesšŸ˜…

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I watch dance often, men even more and my ultimate favourite discipline is pairs and that I watch the most. Regarding the names - I look at the entrees list to remember them. But, granted, if you watch often you get to know quite a few. And the bronze team did a very good job indeed.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker

A huge congrats to Papadakis and Cizeron!

What a great way for Hubbell and Donohue to end their career with all new personal best scores and an Olympic bronze!

Sinitsina/Katsalapov and Chock/Bates were fantastic (new PB) as were so many more!

Who were your favorites? Did you agree with the judging?
I was disappointed for Piper and Paul, a podium finish would have been a nice way for them to end their long career as well. No, I didn't agree with the judging. I liked the Spanish team, for choreography. I'm not a fan of Papadakis and Cizeron, I don't get the hype.

Tanith Belbin White, commentating on NBC TV, said about Sinitsina and Katsalapov's free dance that the last (upbeat) section was not as strong as the first three minutes. For me, I liked it.

Last edited:
I liked the Spanish team, for choreography. I'm not a fan of Papadakis and Cizeron, I don't get the hype.
I think that Marie-France Dubreuil, alonng with Christopher Dean, is their principla choreographer. Certainly this French team has aceived impressive results under the tutelage of the Dubreui-Lauzon term at Montreal. Canadians have every right to be proud of them.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gilles/ Porier left some points on the table on the curve-curve combo lift. Not sure that would have made much differenceā€¦

viennaskater

Medalist
I can't help it, but Victoria and Nikita's Dance bores me a little. It was well performed and executed, no doubt about it, it just bores me. I started looking for a cat to stroke and do something else than watching. Sorry fans!
I wouldn't worry too much - it seems that such fans are in the minority here. Yes, that dance was the dullest thing on earth, coupled with that awful screechy violin, ouch!

treeloving

Medalist
Everybody has their own taste but I really don't understand how can anyone deems P/C program as boring. The details of choreography is ethereal. They program is not theatrical or attempt sell sexual chemistry; but I vastly prefer subtle beauty and attention to details anytime.

And imo the Polish judge who give sin/kat equal PCS to them should never be allowed to judge ever again.

Last edited:

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Tanith Belbin White, commentating on NBC TV, said about Sinitsina and Katsalapov's free dance that the last (upbeat) section was not as strong as the first three minutes. For me, I liked it.
Maybe she influenced me a little bit (she's forgotten more about Ice Dance than I'll ever know), but I also wish the entire program had been the slow part. I thought it was too abrupt a change - both in music and the "style" of skating. If it had been a medley type program that type of change would have been OK for me.

I would still think that P/C were the best, but S/K would have been closer if the last minute was a continuation of the first 3 minutes. That's for how the performance would strike me, because I really have no idea about all the little technical details the judges look for. I leave that to the experts.

Only one thing really "bugged" me and it had nothing to do with their skating, but was the music selections. The Rach 2 slow movement was not the actual piano concerto - much of the piano part was being played by a violin. And even though the last section is listed as "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini", it most certainly was not from any part of that work. It was a Paganini theme for sure, but nothing to do with Rachmaninoff's work.

Those are 2 of my 3 favorite classical works for Piano and Orchestra so that's why I noticed. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have cared or even noticed anything was amiss.

Miriam090

Rinkside
I was thinking that too bad there wasn't a "Pewter Medal" at the Olympics (at least on this night). The top 4 were all Olympic Medal worthy performances. If C/B had been error free in the RD, they might have won Bronze, but then H/D would have been off the podium.

I don't watch Ice Dance all the time, but I can't remember seeing such high level performances from the top 4 in a long time, if ever.

I really enjoyed them all so much - and they were all so different stylistically.

I don't remember S/K from 2018 (or how they did), but the other 3 teams certainly will have much better memories of 2022 than 2018.
They had a pretty awful season, withdrawing midway through their free dance at Russian Nationals due to injury and not making the team for the Olympics, so all four teams will definitely have better memories this time around!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maybe she influenced me a little bit (she's forgotten more about Ice Dance than I'll ever know), but I also wish the entire program had been the slow part. I thought it was too abrupt a change - both in music and the "style" of skating. If it had been a medley type program that type of change would have been OK for me.

I would still think that P/C were the best, but S/K would have been closer if the last minute was a continuation of the first 3 minutes. That's for how the performance would strike me, because I really have no idea about all the little technical details the judges look for. I leave that to the experts.

Only one thing really "bugged" me and it had nothing to do with their skating, but was the music selections. The Rach 2 slow movement was not the actual piano concerto - much of the piano part was being played by a violin. And even though the last section is listed as "Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini", it most certainly was not from any part of that work. It was a Paganini theme for sure, but nothing to do with Rachmaninoff's work.

Those are 2 of my 3 favorite classical works for Piano and Orchestra so that's why I noticed. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have cared or even noticed anything was amiss.
My thoughts exactly -- thanks! :clap:

IMO, Tanith was spot-on about the "meditative" quality of the 1st 3 minutes, which I loved. On the flip side, to me the last bit felt like being rudely awakened from a lovely dream. I think it was the famous theme from the "Rhapsody" but could barely make it out. Grrrrr......

lesnar001

Record Breaker
My thoughts exactly -- thanks! :clap:

IMO, Tanith was spot-on about the "meditative" quality of the 1st 3 minutes, which I loved. On the flip side, to me the last bit felt like being rudely awakened from a lovely dream. I think it was the famous theme from the "Rhapsody" but could barely make it out. Grrrrr......
It was definitely based on the famous Paganini theme used by several composers, but it wasn't from Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody".
I wish I could find exactly what it was though.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
It was definitely based on the famous Paganini theme used by several composers, but it wasn't from Rachmaninoff's "Rhapsody".
Me, too. To me it sounded like a blurry/distorted version of the "Rhapsody" theme.

I've been known to lose sleep over stuff like this... :laugh2:

viennaskater

Medalist
It was composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber from his album 'Variations' - not sure which 'Variation' it is but the one S/K used sounded speeded-up to me.

If you want to see a really good FD to this music, check out Usove/Zhulin's one from Worlds or Europeans in 1991.

viennaskater

Medalist
It was composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber from his album 'Variations' - not sure which 'Variation' it is but the one S/K used sounded speeded-up to me.

If you want to see a really good FD to this music, check out Usove/Zhulin's one from Worlds or Europeans in 1991.
Actually my bad - it's Caprice no 24 by Paganini. David Garrett plays it on violin which you can find on YouTube. Don't know if it's actually him playing it on S/K's dance though.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I predict there will be many attempts to copy the alien & astronaut program in coming years

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm just so so so incredibly happy for Sinitsina/Katsalapov's medal. That's it. I was so nervous for them that I couldn't watch them live. They are just magical.

Also super happy for H/D getting the bronze. Taschlers did amazing, I liked Wang/Liu, Lajoie/Lagha, Hawayek/Baker, Turkkila/Versluis and of course Smart/Diaz.
One of my biggest wishes was to see G/F's FD on Olympic ice and it was so moving, I did have tears in my eyes.

Was trying all season, but can't get into S/B FD (or RD)

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It is a program that I really liked back when Zhulin was young and in love. The story they gave was kind of unusual something about a hunchback where Zhulin crouched and hopped. Poor Maia's knees in the part where she is dragged across the ice.