2022 Europeans - Ice Dance: Thoughts? | Golden Skate

2022 Europeans - Ice Dance: Thoughts?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The top three teams did not move but there were changes for the rest. With Papadakis and Cizeron out that left some room for sure. Smart and Diaz improved from 2020 where they were eighth. Despite a fall, they placed ahead of Fear and Gibson who were fifth again.

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event?

Last edited:

glacial87

Rinkside
I was never able to click with G/F. It's always clean and leaves nothing really to complain about, but ... interestingly the commentators for German TV Joti Polizoakis and Daniel Weiss pointed that out as well. A tad too polished, emotions not presented to a fully authentic effect; the choice of costumes not optimal (that shouldn't count for the marks but appearance IS a facto, especially in ID). I didn't watch their commentary for the SD ... her costume in this portion is atrocious in my opinion because it makes her look literally heavy. I was surprised during the small ceremony to find out she is actually way shorter than Sasha and Vika; with a partner that short they should really work on hiding the small difference and emphasize his presence more. Anyways, I very much enjoyed all three Russian teams - as did said commentators. Especially Daniel Weiss isn't shy of calling out "Bonus Russia" and has done so frequently in the past ... just yesterday (PCS for Kondratiuk f.e., not placement); they were over the moon regarding D/S already in the SD - today it was "breathtaking", "fresh", "great", "standing ovation" (reported message from K. Witt) and they had only very positive things to say about S/B and S/K (apart from the violin version which could have been better with piano). S/K have more accents in their FD, their dance could be a bit more fluid, though (mileage).

readernick

Medalist
Has Eteri been putting something into all these commentators drinks? Simon Reed was also extremely taken with d/s and their horribly dated FD.
They are a decent team just not as good as their scores at several competitions suggested. Here their scores were more reasonable but still a bit too high. But, I also think it you want to hear good ice dance commentary you need an ice dancer as the commentator. Mark Hanretty, Tanith, Charlie or Ben all do a much better job explaining the intricate details that separate teams . D/S do have some nice performance qualities and good lifts. Her SS really aren't up to par ( yet) but they aren't bad.

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“We’re going to be really strict with ourselves,” said Fear. “We made a lot of changes which we implemented here. We wanted to showcase them, which we did more so yesterday than today when we left a lot of points on the table, so now we’re really excited to get back to work and get ready for Beijing.”

“We took out a jump because we wanted something more unique to us,” explained Gibson on changing the choreographic step sequence. “So now we do a hydro-glide, which is more fun and more 'us.'” 💕

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I love G/F's FD. They are amazing skaters. Nice edges, perfect matching, well executed transitions. Highlight of the event for me.

S/D were amazing. Their programs are very likeable and well-performed.

These were my favorite teams.
After a while on this forum, I'm beginning to suspect that your tastes intersect with mine a lot 😁

I am still holding out hope for the day that G/F win Euros... Agree with S/D, surprisingly I like them a lot this season despite not usually being a fan.

I generally prefer teams with good skating skills, power and lines (which S/K do have), but out of the two top Russian teams I like S/B better. It took me a while to warm up to them because of Sasha's posture, but they are quirky and likeable with a nice connection. I wish S/K had better programmes (same goes for H/K from the same camp). I don't hate D/S but they aren't in the same category skillwise.

Other than the top few teams, I really liked the Taschler siblings. They remind me slightly of Hubbell/Donohue in terms of speed and power, and Filip even got a Level 4 on the one-step sequence (something even the top teams struggle to get)!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Guignard and Fabbri winning bronze again was (obviously) the highlight for me; and to do so without Barbara by their side (for the first time in 12 years), with having barely slept the night before due to worry about Barbara/her positive test, and with Charlène having recently suffered a family bereavement, was even more impressive.

I really enjoyed Smart/Diaz too, and am so pleased they've made the Olympics. It was also lovely to see the clip shared of both Spanish teams hugging and congratulating each other, after the announcement was made.

Lopareva/Brissaud also had great programs, I enjoyed the contrast between the two halves of their free dance particularly, as well as their smooth twizzles.

princecharming

Rinkside
Smart/Diaz were amazing. Best performance of their career so far.

Interesting to see the gap between the Russians getting smaller. Vicky and Nicky are very overrated and I actually really don't like this LP at all. It's insipid.

Happy for the Italians, but the LP is also boring to me.

Who are the next big thing in European ice dance?? The Brits I suppose. Who else?

viennaskater

Medalist
If I'd been a judge, I'd have had Smart/Diaz first, closely followed by Stepanova/Bukin. S/B have really upped their game - a modern-style performance with some traditional Romeo/Juliet music sandwiched in between the modern stuff. Liked it. They look crisper than before.

I still can't get over why S/K are so highly scored, they offer nothing new to the table and their programs are the dullest thing on earth. They surely can't stand a chance of a medal in the Olys, it would be bad for ice dance if they do.

I have the same opinion as the other posters about the Italians - they skate nicely but have little impact.

I did not like the way the judges put Davis/Smolkin above the Lithuanians before they'd even skated. And I thought "Surely NOT another Tango de Roxanne!"

Silly me, I thought we may have heard the last of that wretched war-horse!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I was mostly watching for S/D, because I ❤️ them and that free dance is so so cool, but I also loved S/B. Everyone else is still not breaking through my mybarrier. It’S not them, it’s me. Also, I laughed far too much with Reed’s Shmolkin. Overall though, I am grateful for the dance as it helped me to start getting out of the depth of gut-wrenching sadness over men’s free.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I love ice dance. I love (almost) everyone ;) Of course I'm here for the Taschlers. They are power on the ice! But above all I just love S/K, I could watch them (or only Nikita ;) ) skate for hours.
Reed/Ambrulevičius are great and would deserve to go to the Olympics. Guignard/Fabbri are amazing, I love their FD and was, in fact, hoping they would recycle it from previous season. It's one of the few programs that's actually making me cry.
I'm very very happy over the best Spanish ice dance result at Europeans ever (with one of the best programs of, at least, this season). They now have three spots for ID! I just hope both teams and Val/Vitrianyuk will actually get to use them (praying for no retirements in team Spain).
While watching Fear/Gibson I'm always amazed by the unlimited inspiration of Monteral choreographers. They choreograph so many programs and all (or almost all if you will) are great and some even unique.
Muller/Dieck are the best actors out there and their programs are always a joy to watch. And I'm getting more and more impressed by Garabedian/Proulx Senecal - I mean if you choose Autumn leaves and Luck be a lady and include even that part Javi had in his iconic skate of course I'm gonna be a fan.
I've came to the realization that I'm liking S/B less and less, their programs are not for me probably. And can't get into Lopareva/Brissaud and Kaliszek/Spodyriev. But I will try again!

The RD theme is terrible overall, but was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't too much hip hop and street dance. Yes, I'm very conservative ;)

viennaskater

Medalist
The RD theme is terrible overall, but was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't too much hip hop and street dance. Yes, I'm very conservative ;)
I am with you there - some of the music is downright clunky and ugly. I like that some couples have avoided that route, e.g. Papadakis/Cizeron and Gilles/Poirier.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
What I liked about RD is to see what music and style skaters come up with within the restrictions of the rythmn and pattern dance.
This time, at least when it comes to clothing, many girls seem to have gone to the same store and just picked the tightest trousers they could find. Wich looks great, but also boring if every second skater wears them.

I love Gilles's/Poirier's interpretation as well as Dai's and Kana's, they are just completely different from the rest.

readernick

Medalist
I enjoy the RD theme this year. However, it is tricky to do it correctly. I don't think most skaters excel at hip hop and street dance. I do think Dai and Kana have a great RD. I also enjoy Green/Parsons' RD. It suits the theme without being trite or insulting. I know many people love Michael Parsons (as do I) but I am actually more impressed by Caroline Green who is a fabulous performer and skater at only 18 years old. She's incredible.

Rashela

On the Ice
I have to say I really loved Nazarova/Nikitin FD at Tallinn. When I saw it on TV during the fall part of season, I found it a bit cringe, but seeing it alive changed my mind :points: especially the finishing part of the dance was in superb speed.
Taschlers have very good basics I hope they will make it far.

The only thing I loved about the RD part of competition was S/K pattern, total chef's kiss. The rest was a bit meh or trying to hard. Virtue/Moir SD is still my top pick for this theme.

It was quite enjoyable competition, I am just sad that Spain can not send two couples to Olympics and H/K are staying home. Does anyone know if S/D and H/K are staying or are they retiring after this season?

princecharming

Rinkside
I have to say I really loved Nazarova/Nikitin FD at Tallinn. When I saw it on TV during the fall part of season, I found it a bit cringe, but seeing it alive changed my mind :points: especially the finishing part of the dance was in superb speed.
Taschlers have very good basics I hope they will make it far.

The only thing I loved about the RD part of competition was S/K pattern, total chef's kiss. The rest was a bit meh or trying to hard. Virtue/Moir SD is still my top pick for this theme.

It was quite enjoyable competition, I am just sad that Spain can not send two couples to Olympics and H/K are staying home. Does anyone know if S/D and H/K are staying or are they retiring after this season?
Both Spanish teams are retiring to focus on family/life.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Are there any official comments by H/K or S/D about retirement though? It makes sense but I haven't seen any official confirmation yet.
Adria Diaz has already planned his wedding with Madison Hubbell for June 2023, Kirill is already a father and has been competing, Olivia is very young to retire... (yes, I'm clutching at straws and trying to find all the reason why they shouldn't retire. Just the thought of possibly three Spanish ice dance teams at Europeans next year is so exciting.)

peepsquick

Final Flight
Are there any official comments by H/K or S/D about retirement though? It makes sense but I haven't seen any official confirmation yet.
Adria Diaz has already planned his wedding with Madison Hubbell for June 2023, Kirill is already a father and has been competing, Olivia is very young to retire... (yes, I'm clutching at straws and trying to find all the reason why they shouldn't retire. Just the thought of possibly three Spanish ice dance teams at Europeans next year is so exciting.)
S/D are not sure yet (ref: On Edge).