Peroneal tendonitis? | Golden Skate

Peroneal tendonitis?

deathbytoepick

Spectator
Country
United-States
Has anyone dealt with peroneal tendonitis from figure skating?

I didn’t have an issue until the last month when I consistently started practicing waltz jumps, toe loops, bunny hops, etc.

It’s happening on my right foot/leg, which is my landing leg. I’m not really sure what I need to do. 😩

Is this a strength or stretching issue? A boot issue? Idk.

LokiPoki

Rinkside
I also think I might be dealing with a bit of this.

Only on one leg - pain on the outside of my ankle up to about mid-calf. Sometimes quite painful, but it does ease when I rest.

I'm working on bunny hops, tap toes, waltz jumps and toe loop jumps.

I always assumed it was a fitness/strength issue.

orodriguez13

Spectator
LOL I just started dealing with this 2 weeks ago - unfortunately I aggravated it again recently doing a dumb waltz jump. Icing it, Ibuprofen, and elevating it will help. I suggest you look up exercises on Youtube to strengthen that tendon and muscle. There's one where you step up a stair with the bad foot and slowly lower the opposite foot down on the ground that really helps me. Here's the one I watched!
My pain is on the jumping foot. I found the pain is worse if I put my weight too much on the inside of my foot, likely an issue with the waltz technique (for me anyway). My boots are too soft now which is a problem, also the edge of the top digs directly into the painful spot as well. I put a make-up silicone sponge around it to take some pressure off it. Another rinkmate suggested cutting a dish sponge and putting it around the area to prevent more pressure from the boot.
Ic3Rabbit suggested to me ankle sleeves like this one for more support. I currently have a different one but I might try these since the one I have is kinda thin.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Try arch supports. They helped me massively when I couldn't land my jumps for the pain in my foot that travelled up my leg.

deathbytoepick

Spectator
Country
United-States
I also think I might be dealing with a bit of this.

Only on one leg - pain on the outside of my ankle up to about mid-calf. Sometimes quite painful, but it does ease when I rest.

I'm working on bunny hops, tap toes, waltz jumps and toe loop jumps.

I always assumed it was a fitness/strength issue.
Yessss, that’s exactly where the pain is. I’ve posted this a few other places and the responses I’ve gotten pretty much confirm it’s a stretching issue combined with a strength issue. But I’ve seen a few mention it COULD be a boot issue, soooo I guess I’ll work on exercising and see where that leads.

deathbytoepick

Spectator
Country
United-States
LOL I just started dealing with this 2 weeks ago - unfortunately I aggravated it again recently doing a dumb waltz jump. Icing it, Ibuprofen, and elevating it will help. I suggest you look up exercises on Youtube to strengthen that tendon and muscle. There's one where you step up a stair with the bad foot and slowly lower the opposite foot down on the ground that really helps me. Here's the one I watched!
My pain is on the jumping foot. I found the pain is worse if I put my weight too much on the inside of my foot, likely an issue with the waltz technique (for me anyway). My boots are too soft now which is a problem, also the edge of the top digs directly into the painful spot as well. I put a make-up silicone sponge around it to take some pressure off it. Another rinkmate suggested cutting a dish sponge and putting it around the area to prevent more pressure from the boot.
Ic3Rabbit suggested to me ankle sleeves like this one for more support. I currently have a different one but I might try these since the one I have is kinda thin.
Okay, yessss!!! I forgot to mention the top of my boot puts pressure on one of the painful spots on landings. Ughhhh. I’ll look into an ankle sleeve or something tho, thanks for mentioning that!

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Oh no! Its not the same, but I had Achilles tendonitis (from dancing) a few years back and I know that for me, stretching is key to keep it from hurting again. And stretch your hamstrings. Tight hamstrings seem to have a huge impact on calves and ankles, from my experience. Epsom salt baths are good too (you can just soak your foot in a bowl). You may have to take a break from skating for a week or two too 😞

Once the pain and swelling go away, you can do my fave ankle strengthening exercise...write the ABC with your toes. First do uppercase, then when that is easy, do lowercase. Sounds easy, but its not!

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Once the pain and swelling go away, you can do my fave ankle strengthening exercise...write the ABC with your toes. First do uppercase, then when that is easy, do lowercase. Sounds easy, but its not!
This is interesting. Just to clarify, when you say "write with your toes", do you mean to trace, or do you mean to grasp a pen or pencil between your toes and literally write?

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
This is interesting. Just to clarify, when you say "write with your toes", do you mean to trace, or do you mean to grasp a pen or pencil between your toes and literally write?
Like the video that @yesterday posted. I have good toe control, but I don’t know if I could grasp a pencil with my toes and write…

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Has anyone dealt with peroneal tendonitis from figure skating?

I didn’t have an issue until the last month when I consistently started practicing waltz jumps, toe loops, bunny hops, etc.

It’s happening on my right foot/leg, which is my landing leg. I’m not really sure what I need to do. 😩

Is this a strength or stretching issue? A boot issue? Idk.
Hi I have had tendonitis in both ankles for years due to competing and training. It happens. There was one point where I had to wear an air cast on both ankles LOL.

Okay, so here is what to do. Get an elastic brace (something like this) for your ankles to wear in your boots. If you have proper skate boots that support you then it should minimize issues.
Also, another poster has mentioned the tracing ABC's with your foot/ankle and I agree with that, my physical therapist had me do those to help with the issues.
I will also suggest stretches with a resistance band.

Good luck!