Polina Tsurskaya | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Polina Tsurskaya

Azikin

Medalist
but she has health problems. Eteri is not that kind of coach to help girls with injuries and health problems. Maybe she would squeeze one more "almost qualified to the Russian team" season out of her... and that would be it, done and over.

Sure. Instead of that, she's done and over right now. This season was probably the last one she had any realistic chance to make the Russian team.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Sure. Instead of that, she's done and over right now.

having a rough seasons does not equal not being able to skate ever again.

I am not saying she will come back, not saying she won't. But people seem to consider Eteri some magician who can bend injured spines and broken bones and make all injuries go away...

obviously, Polina's coaching situation is not working out... but we don't know it would be that much better under a different coach. She would still have the same body to deal with.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Sure. Instead of that, she's done and over right now. This season was probably the last one she had any realistic chance to make the Russian team.

But what do you suggest instead? Staying with Eteri for another year when she clearly can‘t handle the competitive environment mentally any longer? Being stressed out the whole time? Working at a place where you‘re unhappy all the time can do serious things to one’s mental health, it‘s pretty dangerous and should not be encouraged - especially not for young people like Polina.

That’s why I think Buyanova was actually a pretty logical choice for Polina - she thought she‘d never get the third spot being an Eteri skater (probably not knowing Medvedeva would leave) like she already didn‘t last season so she tried to go to the coach she knew managed to get Masha - who‘s also her close friend - to the Olympic Games. It actually makes a lot of sense from her point of view. Who else would there have been? Eteri - out of question. Mishin? I doubt he‘d take her, he‘s already pretty focused on Liza and Sofia. Turenko - would require moving to another city. Plushenko? Not really proven yet as a coach. There are others like Davydov but they mostly have junior skaters I believe. Who is Alena Kanysheva’s coach again? Does she train only juniors? Polina also can’t take the Medvedeva route and go to Borser or someone like Ravi because she doesn‘t have as much money from victories and sponsorships and isn‘t a top skater. So, what should she have done? I don‘t think her decision was the right one but did she really have any other option?

I would be inclined to give Buyanova a chance. And as long as she‘s healthy she isn‘t “completely over and done with“. She can still skate at the GP, she‘s at least better than Radionova and Leonova, even next season. So not worse than she does at the moment. It‘s not up to her potential and that‘s why I‘m personally so sad but it‘s not like she has to retire immediately. It‘s probably not what she wants for herself and it‘s also not what I want for her either (I want her to go to Euros and Worlds...) but alas, some things are just unfair in life.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
And she also became a 150 points skater... :palmf:

Bitter, but true. When you think about that she has the potential for receiving 150+ points just for free program.

As for the competitive environment. Well, whole russian ladies skating environment is surrounded by highly competitive atmosphere, you can't run away from it by changing the coach. If she really felt the urgent need for change, then she chose the worst alternative. Buyanova seems to me like complete executioner of talents. If CSKA, then Davydov is definitely better choice. But it would be interresting to see her in Snow Leopards. Panova hasn't name, she is maybe the most underrated coach, but to me she is much better than some renowned coaches.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Bitter, but true. When you think about that she has the potential for receiving 150+ points just for free program.

As for the competitive environment. Well, whole russian ladies skating environment is surrounded by highly competitive atmosphere, you can't run away from it by changing the coach. If she really felt the urgent need for change, then she chose the worst alternative. Buyanova seems to me like complete executioner of talents. If CSKA, then Davydov is definitely better choice. But it would be interresting to see her in Snow Leopards. Panova hasn't name, she is maybe the most underrated coach, but to me she is much better than some renowned coaches.

Well, like I explained in my post above, if you look at it from Polina‘s point of view Buyanova actually does make sense. I wouldn’t have chosen her myself obviously but I can understand why Polina might have thought differently. Masha and her are really close friends - so if you see your friend going to the Olympics you might figure that her coach is at least somewhat capable. And we all know CSKA has (or had at least) a bonus with the fed. She probably thought it would help her get international assignments. From her look of surprise everytime she sees her scores in the K&C she clearly has no idea what‘s going on with her TES which is actually what‘s worrying me the most.

Panova, that was her name, thanks. She seems to be doing pretty well with Kanysheva, Kuzmenko and Sinitsyna, so she could have been an option. (Sorry for my lack of knowledge but does she train seniors at all at the moment?)

About the competitive environment: Come on, we all know Eteri‘s system is different. She literally said it herself, that‘s how she works: By constantly comparing one skater to another, fueling their competitive fire for them to start pushing themselves. It’s okay, it obviously brings good results but it’s still a hard system and it doesn‘t work for everybody. Especially as they grow older, skaters might prefer training focusing more on their individuality than constant comparison. So, in this case it‘s not about the general high level of pressure skaters in Russia are facing but the level of pressure deliberately created in one group. Some can and want to handle it and some don‘t. For some it works, for others it doesn’t. That’s completely natural and that’s why I think there‘s nothing shameful or wrong about leaving if you realise this method doesn‘t work for you anymore. You just have to find an alternative and that‘s what‘s really difficult currently.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
It’s funny how things can change in a year. This time last year I thought she was a strong contender for the 3rd Olympic spot, now she is so far removed from that level. I thought she was marked quite harshly in the short. I was very disappointed with her free skate, once she doubled the flip she just seemed to give up. There seemed to be little in the way of presentation.

Did the fear of UR’s make her cautious? It seems to be a big problem for her now. It sounds like the idea to switch coaches was right but it is not working effectively yet. I really want to see her succeed, I love her jumps went on form they are superb. There was talk that she wanted to retire but her family changed her mind, I wonder is her heart in figure skating?

CatonBlades

On the Ice

Why are you so sure?
1st of all, the season didn't finished.
You are not a medium like I'm not, either, to see the future.
And why next year she doesn't have anymore chances?
Just because quad girls turn seniors?
Let's wait and see.Many people talk again about age raising for seniors and, even more important, even the quad girls can't foll the puberty. (about this subject, I don't want to talk more here because I don't think that is the right treat for more details)

CatonBlades

On the Ice
Well, like I explained in my post above, if you look at it from Polina‘s point of view Buyanova actually does make sense. I wouldn’t have chosen her myself obviously but I can understand why Polina might have thought differently. Masha and her are really close friends - so if you see your friend going to the Olympics you might figure that her coach is at least somewhat capable. And we all know CSKA has (or had at least) a bonus with the fed. She probably thought it would help her get international assignments. From her look of surprise everytime she sees her scores in the K&C she clearly has no idea what‘s going on with her TES which is actually what‘s worrying me the most.

Panova, that was her name, thanks. She seems to be doing pretty well with Kanysheva, Kuzmenko and Sinitsyna, so she could have been an option. (Sorry for my lack of knowledge but does she train seniors at all at the moment?)

About the competitive environment: Come on, we all know Eteri‘s system is different. She literally said it herself, that‘s how she works: By constantly comparing one skater to another, fueling their competitive fire for them to start pushing themselves. It’s okay, it obviously brings good results but it’s still a hard system and it doesn‘t work for everybody. Especially as they grow older, skaters might prefer training focusing more on their individuality than constant comparison. So, in this case it‘s not about the general high level of pressure skaters in Russia are facing but the level of pressure deliberately created in one group. Some can and want to handle it and some don‘t. For some it works, for others it doesn’t. That’s completely natural and that’s why I think there‘s nothing shameful or wrong about leaving if you realise this method doesn‘t work for you anymore. You just have to find an alternative and that‘s what‘s really difficult currently.
I agree with you in so many aspects!
I understand, too, your oppinion about Polina choosing Buyanova.
At that moment, I think, too, that was the better choice for her.
I'm worried, too, about her look when she receives her scores.
Here, it's coach's job to talk with the judges and to find why her scores are so small.
I don't thik that Panova would be e good option for her.She works well with juniors, but I'm not that sure how she could work with seniors.
About Eteri's system...it is more than obvious that with Polina didn't worked, so she changed coaches.
The begginins aren't easy for her...Polina needes more that 6 months to accomodate with Eteri.
I don't have, either, a good oppinion about Buyanova in this moment, but remaining in a stressfull enviroment, like you already said, could be very harmfull for a teanage, especially for one so sensiltive like Polina.
I would be inclined to give Buyanova a chance,too, bacause Polina is such a wonderfull and tallented girl.

CatonBlades

On the Ice
It’s funny how things can change in a year. This time last year I thought she was a strong contender for the 3rd Olympic spot, now she is so far removed from that level. I thought she was marked quite harshly in the short. I was very disappointed with her free skate, once she doubled the flip she just seemed to give up. There seemed to be little in the way of presentation.

Did the fear of UR’s make her cautious? It seems to be a big problem for her now. It sounds like the idea to switch coaches was right but it is not working effectively yet. I really want to see her succeed, I love her jumps went on form they are superb. There was talk that she wanted to retire but her family changed her mind, I wonder is her heart in figure skating?
You were disappointed with her FS?
WOW...Why you weren't disappointed bacause she didn't received the scores that she deserved for her SP?
I understand why she feared.
Polina is that kind of skater who puts emotions in what she is doing and in her skate,too.
She was shocked and sisappointed when she saw the scores for the SP.This affected her at FS.Isn't natural?
She's a human being with feelings, not a robot on the ice.
Maybe yes, she seemed to give it up after she doubled the flip, but maybe she is was tired (more mentally) and she didn't felt the support from her team.
Last season, yes, she said that she thought about retirement, but she realised that she can skate and deceide to continue.
How can you say something like "I wonder is her heart in figure skating"??
This girl is a fighter. She always was, no matter that her coach didn't supported her, like Eteri didn after JWC.
She never run, never gived up, never retired from FS if she didn't skated well her SP.
Her face is like a mirror in which you see all her emotions and love for skating.

CatonBlades

On the Ice
Oh, come on. She scored 210 points last season. Also, she was very close to making it to those teams. She inexplicitly got scored far below Konstantinova in PCS while Konstantinova also got some very lenient tech calls. How can you blame Eteri for that? And what if Polina got rightfully placed above Konstantinova in PCS(Like she would internationally)? Then suddenly Eteri did help her get to Worlds and Olympics, even if the actual performances of the two skaters wouldn't have been any different? You have to realize that there's only so much that a coach can do.

210 points is about 50 points better than 160, in any case.

I blame Eteri for not acting like a real coach and asking for a re evaluation at NHK, if you talk about last season.For not supporting her with few words at Russian Nationals.
With Konstantinova was pure politics. Not 3 Eteri girls making the team.Sad, but true...
Yes, 210 is about 50 points better than 160, you are right.
But last sason is last season and we need to put the facts in the actual situation.
That Polina needs a person from CSKA staff who understad her and support her.
Before the FS, I asked somebody who went at Skate America how was Polina at training.
Yes, a coach can do a lot for a skater, if they are on the same way.
Let's wait and see with whom is Polina on the same way.
I doubt in this moment about Buyanova, but she has now 2 coaches and I espect much more from her 2nd one.

CatonBlades

On the Ice

But it isn't CSKA with Davidoff, it's CSKA with Buyanova and, from few time, with TAT, too.
I expect lots from the last one.

Azikin

Medalist
I would be inclined to give Buyanova a chance. And as long as she‘s healthy she isn‘t “completely over and done with“. She can still skate at the GP, she‘s at least better than Radionova and Leonova, even next season. So not worse than she does at the moment.
I wouldn't be so sure, next season will be much more crowded for Russian skaters. She may as well end up like Leonova this season..

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Eteri's team competitive enivornment surely can't work for everyone, but Buyanova's team environment whatever it is doesn't work for anyone I think.

I have nothing against "training focused more on their individuality", I'm just wondering if that exists where Polina is now. To be honest, Sotskova's results were never stable, she was always "hit or miss" case. When she had the day, she was able to defeat even Osmond like in GP final, but that was rare case. Which is sad, I'm glad I see her style that is in many ways different than Eteri's übersoldiers, she is elegant, looking like an empire era lady on a St. Petersburg ball in 1810 staying just beside Natasha Rostova, but with her contemporary shape you cannot enjoy it fully. The same with Polina now.

Now we see two skaters capable of strong results wasting their potential in maybe "less competitive environment" than in Eteri's team and probably enjoying their friendship but literally fulfilling the second word in the acronym "K&C" during int. competitions.

I expect that if Polina is reasonable and will be able and willing to skate, she will change choach again after the end of the season. Unless miracle happens, of course.

CatonBlades

On the Ice
I wouldn't be so sure, next season will be much more crowded for Russian skaters. She may as well end up like Leonova this season..

Nothing is sure.For Polina, for the other skaters...just the time will show us.
Why to have only a pessimist attitude and not supporting her?

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Nothing is sure.For Polina, for the other skaters...just the time will show us.
Why to have only a pessimist attitude and not supporting her?

Stating a fact is not pessimism. That's not something related exclusively to Polina, that's fact that matters every skater not only in Russia (incl. Alina, Zhenya etc.), but in int. level also. Next season we can expect so many top former junior ladies entering senior stage that I can't imagine what could have to happen to prevent this development. All seniors, incl. Polina, have to pprepare for that. They need to believe in themselves in the first place, to know their strong and weak sides. They have the advantage of experience, but during this season they need to strenghten all they can use. That does not mean to win everything, but to be psychically strong, have healthy self-confidence and be proud for their programs executions. Not having a season "I don't know what's happening".

CatonBlades

On the Ice
Stating a fact is not pessimism. That's not something related exclusively to Polina, that's fact that matters every skater not only in Russia (incl. Alina, Zhenya etc.), but in int. level also. Next season we can expect so many top former junior ladies entering senior stage that I can't imagine what could have to happen to prevent this development. All seniors, incl. Polina, have to pprepare for that. They need to believe in themselves in the first place, to know their strong and weak sides. They have the advantage of experience, but during this season they need to strenghten all they can use. That does not mean to win everything, but to be psychically strong, have healthy self-confidence and be proud for their programs executions. Not having a season "I don't know what's happening".

Totally agree with you.
She needs more confidence.
I'm worried because people who saw her skate at SA said,especially after SP,that she don't have confidence in helself.
Her problem is more mental now.
But for that,she has a team.I don't see,sadly,her team fixing it.
Not that I'd propose to change coaches.It's too early for this.
I hope for better results now,when TAT is also her coach and she is working with Polina 3 times/week,according to Russian forums.This could solve the technical problem,but Polina needs more atention.She needs a coach who goes with her at competitions,lime GP.It would have been far better for her going with TAT(not to receive extra points,just to not be robbed and to receive what she deserves).A coach could ask the judges about her marks for SP.And her confidence would have been bigger.
I have confidence that TAT will find the proper way to make things well for Polina.
She is just so skilled and beautiful skater!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lol I guessed that,too.
I asked Levin on his instagram about the story for that dress.I'm always passionate about this kind of things.I hope he'll reply.��

If he does, would you mind sharing it? I would like to know the story as well, I do like this dress especially the back :luv17: