Program music | Golden Skate

Program music

SkatingPenguin

Rinkside
Hi everyone! I’ve been looking for a new song to use for my program. I’m not sure what level I’m competing yet, but I’m working on my single lutz. I want to use a more upbeat fun song. My other program was a slow graceful song and I don’t think it really fit me well. I think i want to use “Wait for it” from Hamilton. Is it a good song to skate to? Will people think it’s weird?
thanks
Asha

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
skate to what you want at your level. it's not really that serious as long as it's not inappropriate for your age or has swears or something.

SkatingPenguin

Rinkside
skate to what you want at your level. it's not really that serious as long as it's not inappropriate for your age or has swears or something.
Thanks! Some people have told me that the song isn’t really good for skating and the judges might not like it

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks! Some people have told me that the song isn’t really good for skating and the judges might not like it
to be honest, it doesn't matter what the judges think. no competition that it's even remotely possible to place in without an axel is worth anything except for a plastic medal. you're competing for fun at this level.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hello @SkatingPenguin Asha:

I am not a skater, and only you can decide how important results are to you, no matter your level.

What I can tell you is that Jason Brown originally chose "Wait for It" for his Hamilton program, before switching to "Room Where it Happens", so at least one elite skater did not think it was too weird. ;)

Video snippets of Jason skating to "Wait For It"

Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
to be honest, it doesn't matter what the judges think. no competition that it's even remotely possible to place in without an axel is worth anything except for a plastic medal. you're competing for fun at this level.
Ouch! :oops:

OP, pick music that you think you will feel confident to interpret. That's important, whatever "level" you skate at. The music you pick should make you want to dance/skate to it for the sheer joy, regardless of whether you're after a medal or not. It's all about the joy. Even when you're out there in front of the judges and you think you can't skate for shaking, if your music still makes you want to skate then you picked the right track.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I perhaps could have phrased it better but what I meant is it's not like OPs competition is the difference between going to the olympics or something. It's just for fun and they should skate to what they want.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
To be honestly, I've skated to the weirdest things and I've won lots of competitions. Judges don't really care as much anymore. The main reason music affects skaters nowadays is when they pick something that they can't skate to as well and their PCS suffer. I skated to Sleeping Beauty once and lost every competition because I am the opposite of graceful. The next year I skated to some vocal music by one of my favorite artists that no one knew and because that matched my skating style better my presentation was a lot better.

SkatingPenguin

Rinkside

OP, pick music that you think you will feel confident to interpret. That's important, whatever "level" you skate at. The music you pick should make you want to dance/skate to it for the sheer joy, regardless of whether you're after a medal or not. It's all about the joy. Even when you're out there in front of the judges and you think you can't skate for shaking, if your music still makes you want to skate then you picked the right track.
I’ve found a few songs that make me want to skate out of happiness. Thank you so much for the reply!

SkatingPenguin

Rinkside
To be honestly, I've skated to the weirdest things and I've won lots of competitions. Judges don't really care as much anymore. The main reason music affects skaters nowadays is when they pick something that they can't skate to as well and their PCS suffer. I skated to Sleeping Beauty once and lost every competition because I am the opposite of graceful. The next year I skated to some vocal music by one of my favorite artists that no one knew and because that matched my skating style better my presentation was a lot better.
That was like my old music it just didn’t really fit me. I feel like I’ll do much better with a new song. And I’m happy judges don’t mind anymore!

SkatingPenguin

Rinkside
Hello @SkatingPenguin Asha:

I am not a skater, and only you can decide how important results are to you, no matter your level.

What I can tell you is that Jason Brown originally chose "Wait for It" for his Hamilton program, before switching to "Room Where it Happens", so at least one elite skater did not think it was too weird. ;)

Video snippets of Jason skating to "Wait For It"

Good luck!
Thanks! He’s such an amazing skater

Vicki7

On the Ice

i agree with this 100%. If you love it, try skating to it. I quite often send my coach a list of music and he listens, and advises which suit my skating style. If you love it, you’ll put your heart and soul into the choreography :)