Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Proposals to ISU Congress 2018-2019 Season

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I don’t think Ary is in favor of the quad rule which will limit the quads to one of each. That clearly favors Nathan Chen and hurts the rest of the field who only do one type of quad. It’s so random that you can repeat triple jumps but not quads. We don’t need people to be forced to learn quads which this rule will essential accomplish. I don’t think it matters anyway...it’s going to be voted down swiftly. He called for the vote to end it right there and people applauded and seemed eager to vote.

He’s right too that US interest spiked because of Nathan’s quads and in turn he brought out fans which increased attendance at stars on ice.

Well, I think that the US interest was more to do with the hype about him as a possible medal contender. He was pushed as the next big thing for how long? I'm sure he wasn't doing 6 quads at SOI. And I'd bet that interest increased also because of Adam, who has no quads, & maybe because of the Shibs who actually won individual medals.

Darin

Rinkside
I surely enjoy their music choice
So relaxing :thumbsup:
Just like a jazz concert

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I think that the US interest was more to do with the hype about him as a possible medal contender. He was pushed as the next big thing for how long? I'm sure he wasn't doing 6 quads at SOI. And I'd bet that interest increased also because of Adam, who has no quads, & maybe because of the Shibs who actually won individual medals.

You might be right...I haven’t gone....but I’ve had a few reliable sources tell me that the crowds are huge for Nathan and rather noticeably at that. I guess I was going to assume Ary knew what he was talking about and confirming my hear say. I’ll reconsider then.

Anyway...I think this rule stands no chance of passing based on what I saw from the delegates. I think the US is going to have to make some major deals to push this thru because the delagates seem to recognize it for what it is.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Ok, Ary Zakarian (is he Medvedeva's agent?)

"Nathan's 6 quads were the main reason for people to go watch the show"
"If a skater does just a 4T, he can still do 2 of them and compete at higher level, with the rule he will go for different quads, and there will be more injuries"
"We need to push limits"

First of all Ari Zakarian is Plushenko's agent and friend for long years. ( And I think Med and Sotka's too, because I believe he is the best) They did many great things together Ari was in the team when they won the Eurovision Song Contest, etc. They wrote this letter together. Plushenko told it one of his interviews 2-3 weeks ago. They prepared for this ISU congress. So that is not just Ari Zakiarian's opinion.

Evgeni Plushenko: The new judging system is a way to nowhere http://fs-gossips.com/evgeni-plushenko-the-new-judging-system-is-a-way-to-nowhere/

edit: Plushenko's team on many iceshows. Probably thanks to Ari. At the FaOI, too https://www.instagram.com/p/BjbLkacDTGw/?taken-by=arizakarian
and https://twitter.com/FSIgstories/status/1003145205938360320

So I believe he is a very influential and well-known person in skating world. Ari likes the extrem skating.

Darin

Rinkside
Everyone is already laughing at her!:laugh:
Bosnia and Herzegovina has too many proposals

gkelly

Record Breaker
But most top skaters do at least 1 quad.
I mean, how many skaters didnt do quads at worlds / olys?

At 2018 Worlds, 37 men competed in the short program and 22 of them attempted at least 1 quad. (The number who landed at least one quad successfully is lower.) So 15 of the men at Worlds didn't do quads.

Of the 24 who advanced to the freeskate, 6 attempted zero quads (and one did not attempt 3A either). The highest place no-quad skater was Deniss Vassiljevs, 5th in the freeskate and 6th overall.

And now we know why the judging is so messed up.
Those are the guys that judge stuff.

I'm curious about who the delegates are. Is there a list of them by name somewhere?
How many are judges and how many (of those figure rather than speed skating) are federation officials of other sorts?

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Wow i watched five minutes and I had to turn it off because i was getting annoyed ahahahah

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Anyway...I think this rule stands no chance of passing based on what I saw from the delegates. I think the US is going to have to make some major deals to push this thru because the delagates seem to recognize it for what it is.

I really, really hope you are right there - but I'd never trust the ISU with anything. In this case, until I see pages of happy screaming on thursday about the rule not passing, I'll prepare for the worst :slink:
(One thing though, why do people always think this rule would help Nathan the most? Of course he wouldn't be hit the most either, but it would basically force him to repeat the 3A, a jump all his top competitors are stronger with. Most others would lose one quad in total number, Nath would lose two. Ironically, I think it would benefit Zu the most, as he has 3 more or less reliable quads (when healthy) and landed one more (4Lz), and has the strongest 3A. The rule's still trash though "xD)

Andrea82

Medalist
Call for a secret ballot on proposal 17!

"We need to count how many are present..."

So can someone do a recap for me?

Did they approve the quad limit?

Age Limit?

Age limit thrown out of the agenda. They needed 4/5 majority to include it.
It was Yes 63 No 39 Abstained 15
Italy voted in favour.

Quad limit is not voted today. I think it will be on Thursday

Danny T

Medalist
The voting process is getting messy LOL

ETA: The Australian guy asking for anonymous voting is so shady :unsure:

Andrea82

Medalist
Council defeated. They voted in favour of Belgium proposal to increase the number of members of the Technical Committee for Single and Pair skating with at least 1 elected person

Change effective immediately.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Call for a secret ballot on proposal 17!

"We need to count how many are present..."

Age limit thrown out of the agenda. They needed 4/5 majority to include it.
It was Yes 63 No 39 Abstained 15
Italy voted in favour.

Quad limit is not voted today. I think it will be on Thursday

Ok Grazie.

Henni147

Final Flight
Actually my post fits better in this thread, so I decided to share it here, too:
No repetition of quads for (a) more variety and (b) rewarding skaters with different quads
I thought, ISU wanted to make major changes to balance technique and artistry in the first place...?! (Oh, how naive I was...)

To (a): As far as I know, you are only allowed to repeat two quads in total anyway, so in worst case you have to exchange two jumps (out of 12)... Whoah... I can smell the increasing variety already... :p
To (b): Yep, a new TES record of 127 points is not enough reward. What.

How many skaters are affected by that rule btw.? The only two skaters, who repeated two quads at OWG were Nathan and Yuzu. Both could add the 4Lo to their arsenal and I'm sure they will anyway. Repetition won't be a major issue in their cases.

So we're basically talking about the repetition of ONE quad in a program with 12 jumps. In other words: we take away 10 points from a skater, who has one or two solid quads in his arsenal and needs every single point to stay competitive. Good job. :palmf: I really hope, they burn this suggestion.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Actually my post fits better in this thread, so I decided to share it here, too:

Exactly, the guys who were competitive because they had 2 Quad toes are soo screwed now.

But even more experienced ones, with few expections, because they could always rely on those 2 Quad toes and 2 Quad sal.

Good for Javier Fernandez that he retired just in time.

The only skaters who will take advantage of this new rules are Nathan Chen, Boyang Jin, Vincent Zhou, Shoma Uno, Yuzuru Hanyu (maybe).

But most importantly i've yet to hear a word about how judges evaluate these quads, because so many skaters are getting away with cheated and clearly pre-rotated quads. This is way worse than triples in ladies figure skating.