Proposed Russian Law to Limit an Athlete to 2 Olympics | Golden Skate

Proposed Russian Law to Limit an Athlete to 2 Olympics

Layback11

Record Breaker
Interesting. While it could give younger athletes a better chance of going to the Olympics, not to mention make it easier for them to win medals, one has to wonder if it's worth keeping some of the most talented skaters, even if they've had a lot of chances, out. It will be interesting to see if it goes through.

Amei

Record Breaker
My thought: a law needs to be passed that a skater's ability to go to any international competition outside cannot be determined by a closed door test skate.

But if this passes I wonder if it would affect Volosozhar and Trankov's ability to go to 2018 (presuming they compete till then) - Trankov has gone to 2 or 3 Olympics total. Or would they determine through some backdoor loophole that Volosozhar&Trankov the team have only been to 1 Olympics and thus they could go to 2018.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Are they just bored? Is this some attempt at distraction propaganda? It makes no sense.

Many sports have people compete at more than two Olympics just fine with no issue. This would be just silly in some sports.

Not only that, but it would have prevented Plushie from skating in Vancouver either.

How can this story be true? Legislators in Russia have nothing else to do but act silly about a figure skater? Who proposed this supposed "legislation," and to whom? I hope Mr. Putin does not have to cancel his meeting with the president of Greece in order to deal with this urgent matter.

Amei

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if this is some belated April Fool's Joke, but Plushenko has responded, so clearly he doesn't think it's a joke.

*Please note, this was posted in Russian and Google-translated and we all know how fantastic Google-translate is :laugh2:Link (in the NBC article as well): http://tass.ru/sport/1885525

"If athletes have the strength, desire and will to win, how to deprive them of the right to speak at the Olympics? - Said Plushenko. - It does not matter the age is an athlete, or injured, or young. How can you deny the right to speak at the Olympics Athlete showing good results in national and international competitions? I think these proposals for legislation inexplicable and inappropriate. We have enough qualified sports officials, we have a competent minister of sport. I think such issues should be solved experts. "

My rebuttal to Plushenko's comment would be that he minimally competed the last couple of years leading up to Sochi.

My rebuttal to Plushenko's comment would be that he minimally competed the last couple of years leading up to Sochi.

I think Plushenko's main point is that "We have enough qualified sports officials, we have a competent minister of sport," a National Olympics Committee recognized by the IOC, etc. Is this really a matter for legislative action?

Anyway, Mr. Putin will veto it because Julia Lipnitskia might want to compete in 2022. :)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Really? In terms of health, it's up to how the skater feels, if he's had millions of surgeries/health problems before, then she/he must be fully aware of the potential consequences that the Olympics may have on his/her body. The thing is to send their best, and Federations use the Nats determine that; if an older skater does well, then he/she earns the spot. If the concern is getting younger skaters on the spot then a) they do well at Nats and go, or b) if the country has more than one spot, then let the younger have one and problem solved. The polemic originated when two different criterias started being used for the selection of the sole Olympic spot for Russia, we know Federations can choose whoever the hell they want to send, but that was just too obvious and out of the blue. As long as the criteria keeps being the same for everyone, is there a need for a law? Really?

kresslia

Medalist
Ridiculous, and only hurts Russia at the Olympics. Send your most talented people. End of story.

peg

Medalist
If this is true, it's a classic case of cutting your nose off to spite your face. Winning medals seems to be extremely important to Russia, and yet they would be barring many potential medalists from competing, ultimately just depriving themselves of that glory. And yet, given the twisted logic many politicians seem to be adept at, it wouldn't entirely surprise me if this is in fact true.

rvi5

On the Ice
A rule like that would limit countries that produce a single "great" skater/team that could potentially dominate the top tier of the podium for awhile, but be less of an issue for countries with depth. For a country with depth, there would always be other great skaters in a position to rise (assuming such a rule would become wide spread internationally).

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Oh, never-ending drama. :popcorn:
indeed

A rule like that would limit countries that produce a single "great" skater/team that could potentially dominate the top tier of the podium for awhile, but be less of an issue for countries with depth. For a country with depth, there would always be other great skaters in a position to rise (assuming such a rule would become wide spread internationally).

this rule will not spread internationally. it's against freedom of rights and liberties at least in Canada I would assume. In this forum, of course, we are thinking about figure skaters, and TBH, in that context, I am not so worried as for most single skaters, longevity is not really possible…. even for plushie, considering his health… BUT in some sports like cross country skiing, longevity IS the norm… actually athletes may peak in their 3 or 4 games…. and it would be such a mess to have a rule like that…

for instance… let's say that cross country skier X, a rookie, barely qualifies to the games (and unlike figure skating, there are often a few spots available with relays and different styles and distances… ) knowing that they have no chance for podium, should they withdraw to preserve eligibility at further games??? but of course, doing so, they may never qualify again…

it's a completely ridiculous rule… the problem here is not that plushie wants to participate to so many olympic games, the real issue is that the Russian federation gambled with the life of Kovtun, and only partially won their bet… so messy… so wrong.

peg

Medalist

This is a proposed Russian rule, and thus would only apply to Russian athletes.