Proposed Russian Law to Limit an Athlete to 2 Olympics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Proposed Russian Law to Limit an Athlete to 2 Olympics

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If you want to understand the whole story need to know these interesting view detail:

1. The head of the LDPR party: Vladimir Zhirinovsky (born Vladimir Volfovich Eidelstein) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Zhirinovsky He is a Russian jewish who is famous about his anti-zionism!!!:laugh2: He is the "showman" of Russian politic.

2. Zhririnovsky is very good friend of Baturin who is the former husband of Yana Rudkovskaya. Rudkovskaya is Plushenko's current wife. :biggrin: Yana wanted to divorce, their divorce was very infamous, the Russian media was loud with it, because Yana is also very famous and Baturin is a billionaire . Baturin is currently in prison for fraud. Baturin gave money to Zhirinovsky's party.

3. In 2013 after Plushenko's surgery Zhirinovsky attacked him, because he had surgery in Israel not in Russia. He almost said Plushenko is a traitor.

4. Zhirinovsky attacked Plushenko immediately after he was determined to compete at the Olympics, and continued even fiercer, after Plushy's withdraw due to injury.

;)

my friend said: "The russians know thier idiots, now know them the whole world" :clap:

It seems every political party deprives a village their idiot.

peg

Medalist
I had to go to the Wikipedia page about most Olympic appearances to find out just how many Olympics Nori had been at. But while there, I noticed something that should be interesting for you, peg. By my calculations, your homeland would have lost out on at least 7 medals if this had been applied!!! :eek: (The table only started with athletes with at least 6 appearances, so it may be more!)

Kateřina Neumannová would have lost all 6 of her medals (1 Gold, 4 silver, 1 bronze)
Štěpánka Hilgertová would have lost a gold from Sydney

As for my part of the world (Northern Ireland), the 2 most successful Olympians/Paralympians from Northern Ireland, Jason Smyth (4 Golds) and Michael McKillop (3 Golds), would not be allowed to compete in the next Paralympics, as it would be their third Games.

And for a country as small as Northern Ireland, we need to make the most of our star athletes!

So, on balance, my verdict is a definite NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaroLiza_fan

If this were an international law, it would affect a huge number of countries. But fortunately for the rest of the world, they could not impose it beyond Russia. Which means they would actually be reducing their own medal haul because other would stills send their best athletes. The Czech Republic and Ireland - as well as Canada and others - would actually benefit if Russia decided to hobble herself. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot ;)

And I'm glad your hiatus from the forum was so brief :)

Last edited:

dress

On the Ice
This is shoddy journalism with the only mention of the subject being the first vague sentence "Russian lawmakers will consider banning its athletes from competing in more than two Olympics". If true, it is another thoughtless reactionary law making practiced by just about all governments, with unintended consequences causing more reactionary laws.

Canada's Ian Miller has gone to the Olympics 10 times, winning a gold medal anchoring the Canadian equestrian team on his 9th trip in 2008. At 68, he is still going strong, winning the $1.5-million CP International at Spruce Meadows just last September. His children also compete in the same sport but can't compare their achievements to old Dad's.

On top of all his achievements, he is also a gentleman. He is very nice with his fans, and always available for pictures...
When I was a little girl, I tried to take a picture of him and his horse after a round. He took the time to stop so I could take a picture.

He said in an interview that he is considering going to Rio's olympic

Last edited:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6&start=3070
president of the Russian Olympic Committee Alexander Zhukov....

The idea of limiting the athletes to participate in the Olympics, has no chance to success - Zhukov:

"I can reassure our athletes. The law has no chance to pass, and its very flawed idea. Athlete, who for many years has shown good results and achieves the right to participate in the Olympics, we should just to encourage. This is, generally, outstanding sportsmen.
It's just nonsense - limit the opportunities for their participation in the Games. I believe that all of our outstanding athletes, who over the years have participated in the Games, and beyond are going to compete, will be supported in their desire to keep sports shape and achieve success for themselves and for the country."

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Canada's Ian Miller has gone to the Olympics 10 times, winning a gold medal anchoring the Canadian equestrian team on his 9th trip in 2008. At 68, he is still going strong, winning the $1.5-million CP International at Spruce Meadows just last September. His children also compete in the same sport but can't compare their achievements to old Dad's.

Yup, politicians w/ too much time on their hands... :disapp:

Equestrian events were the first thing that came to mind when I started reading this thread. As you've pointed out, many riders are still competing in major meets long after other elite athletes have retired.

I actually got to see Ian Miller live a loooooong time ago at a show in Madison Square Garden. At the time he was riding a massive horse named Big Ben -- gorgeous! :love:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
but the russians aren't the ones making korean laws :)

I don't know any country that makes laws on the Olympics or sports in general. The Olympic Committees and various sport governing bodies set the rules including qualifications for competitions.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
1) I was commenting on the post of the previous person... as it made no sense to say that this "Russian law" would have an effect on other countries...

2) I do not believe one minute that this law will succeed... so this debate is just rhetoric.

3) you are mistaken if you believe that the IOC or international federations have final power on who goes to the games... for instance, there is no rule about how a country will select its athletes in figure skating... the ISU establishes minimum TES (for WC, not even sure that applies for OG) and establishes also the number of entries BUT a country can decide to select its athletes based on their result in the national championships OR NOT! Ashley Wagner and PLUSHIE got to go without placing where they should have placed in their national championships... so technically speaking, UNLESS the IOC intervened by saying that the "Russian law" is violating its principles of equity (no discrimination based on being too old or having participated too many times), i am not sure that Russia would be disallowed to implement such "rules" ... Canada for certain events will not send athletes who are outside the world elite... "participation is not an automatic right"

4 Russia will never pass this law... and this is just overblown.... Russia will never want to harm their shot at OG supremacy... in fact, it's the opposite :)
I don't know any country that makes laws on the Olympics or sports in general. The Olympic Committees and various sport governing bodies set the rules including qualifications for competitions.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wonder if they will exclude Viktor Ahn and Ovechkin. :sarcasm:

Not to mention athletes like synchro swimmers/rhythmic gymnasts/gymnasts/divers, etc. who occasionally compete in more than 2 Olympics.

Plenty of awesome Russian athletes have competed at multiple Olympics and won medals at them - Dmitry Sautin comes to mind, having won medals in 5 Olympics (and of course, Plushenko).

Last edited: