Purchasing Questions | Golden Skate

Purchasing Questions

yellow52

Spectator
I am new to this website so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section. I have a question about ice skates and how/where to purchase them. I am 14 & new to ice skating. I have no intention of competing in any competitions (as of posting this). I mainly just want to learn how to minuver on the ice and over just glide around and have fun. Learning some jumps here and there would be nice but as I stated before I am not interested in competing. (I have posted more about this in my other thread). I was wondering what would be the best place/kind of skates to purchase for my circumstance. Thank you for your time.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am new to this website so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section. I have a question about ice skates and how/where to purchase them. I am 14 & new to ice skating. I have no intention of competing in any competitions (as of posting this). I mainly just want to learn how to minuver on the ice and over just glide around and have fun. Learning some jumps here and there would be nice but as I stated before I am not interested in competing. (I have posted more about this in my other thread). I was wondering what would be the best place/kind of skates to purchase for my circumstance. Thank you for your time.
A lot will depend on your (your parents') budget. Ideally you want to go to a pro shop specializing in figure skates. Avoid general department stores and general sporting goods stores. If there is a pro shop at your rink, don't automatically assume it's a good choice; many specialize in hockey: you might see figure skates on the shelves, but the staff there might not know how to help you select a proper pair and how to fit you properly. The best is to get a recommendation from advanced skaters or coaches (if you know any). Otherwise, contact the figure skating directors at local rinks for recommendations. Alternatively, if you tell us your city and state, people here might be able to point you to a decent pro shop in your area.

Last edited: