Qualifiers for 2017 US Championships

humbaba

Final Flight
Don't know how I missed your post, ice coverage. I must be slipping. :eek::

Vilord

Final Flight
Country
Sweden
Hi. I was thinking about something does anybody know wheter or not it is allowed to compete at more than one nationals per year?
The swedish twins Jhon and Greta Crafoord are as you probably know qualified for US nationals but they will also show their programs at the swedish nationals (not competeing). And I was thinking that the reason that they does not compete at swedish nationals may be that isnt allowed since they skate the us Nationals?

edenlover

On the Ice
No Jeremy Abbott? Did he finally retire, or is he injured? Was hoping to see him come back one more time.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No Jeremy Abbott? Did he finally retire, or is he injured? Was hoping to see him come back one more time.

He decided to take another season off. He has not ruled out returning next season.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm surprised to see Liu/Johnson competing in seniors. I thought maybe they try to get a junior title. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering they competed at a Senior B.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Here is an updated qualifiers list: http://www.usfsa.org/content/2017 Qualifiers.pdf

Tyler Pierce has been removed from Senior Ladies. She was unable to compete at her international assignments due to injury and that caused her to lose her bye to Nationals. She has not yet been removed from the Practice group list.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Tyler Pierce has been removed from Senior Ladies. She was unable to compete at her international assignments due to injury and that caused her to lose her bye to Nationals. ...

Tyler earned a bye based on her fifth place at Nationals last year.

Did USFS make a statement that she "lost" her bye???
If not, I strongly disagree with the notion that her withdrawal from her GP (her only international assignment, IIRC) "caused her to lose her bye to Nationals."

If that were the case, then Polina "should" have lost her bye as well -- which has not happened.

The qualifiers list originally was published on Nov 23, and it already was known before then that Tyler had withdrawn from her GP.

As I said in the U.S. ladies thread on Tuesday, I fear that the disappearance of Tyler's name from the qualifiers list means that she has withdrawn from Nats.

(Furthermore ... the concept of "losing" a bye seems weird to me in the first place -- would defeat the whole purpose of a bye.)

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
Tyler is a wonderful talent, great competitor and I truly enjoy watching her perform/compete. But we will not be ale to see her at Nationals this year. Hopefully she comes back strong next year as the US really needs her.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Tyler Pierce

Sorry for the confusion. When I posted this morning I thought the top 4 finishers from Nationals had a bye to the next years competition. Guess I was thinking the top 4 from Regionals go to Sectionals and then the top 4 from Sectionals go to Nationals. But, ice coverage is correct and Tyler had a bye to Nationals because of her 5th place finish in 2016.

Since Tyler's name is no longer on the Qualifiers list, she must have withdrawn. I checked IceNetwork this morning but did not see any mention or announcement of Tyler withdrawing.

In the past there were situations where a skater finished 6 through 10th at Nationals and USFS would find international assignments which would conflict with the skaters regionals/sectionals. They would have a bye because of those international assignments. If they were injured and unable to compete at those assignments, they would lose the bye to Nationals and their season was over.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
How come there are less entrants in Ice Dance category than Pairs one? :eeking: The most interesting to me will be Men & Pairs, based on qualifiers! :hap10:

humbaba

Final Flight
I keep hoping Polina is just punkin' us and she'll turn up at Nats tanned, rested and ready. Looks like the chances of that happening are extremely remote. I'm a sad panda. :cry:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
On the Juniors front, Ashley Kim has withdrawn and been replaced by Madalyn Moree, who finished 5th at Midwestern Sectionals.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
This decision s/h been made sooner IMO but at least it was made thus giving MM the opportunity to compete. MM is a powerful skater who has benefited from dance - she will do a nice job. Good luck to all the young ladies!