Questions on scoring Ladies LP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Questions on scoring Ladies LP

Proxy

On the Ice
Kaori's score was shockingly low in comparison to the other skaters. It's the only thing I'm really upset about.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The Russians have always been ridiculosly overscored on PCS, which makes the giant push for them. Kaetlyn not so much, but she can be overscored as well but from the Top 3 I find her the best, at least her jumps have actually quality (except that finally called Lutz). This is not me saying the results should have necessaruly different, Tbh, I don't that much. Tbh, I don't really gush not even about Satoko who seems not so inspiring this year to me.

It depends on what you look for in jumps. Height isn't very important to me, to me what's important is a soft landing, soft beautiful takeoff and beautiful air positions. Harsh hammers like Osmond's really aren't very enjoyable for me to watch, high as they may be.

Height is just a single bullet point I believe, but there's much more to a jump than that.

Kaori's score was shockingly low in comparison to the other skaters. It's the only thing I'm really upset about.

e flutz. That's about -4 or -5 points in total.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I thought they were a little too harsh on Gabby. I saw other skaters making jumping errors that did not get marked down as much as Gabby. Carolina's program was lovely, but I always think of Janet Lynn when I hear this music. Also Carolina can't compete with the young phenoms that are coming along, especially the Russian ladies. The're not exactly making it easy for anyone to keep up with them. In fact, Kurt said that one of the Jr. Russian girls is landing a quad. I'm not a fan of the back loading of the program with all the jumps. I think the rule of giving out the extra 10% should be changed. It's not fair to skaters that may not be up to the task.

rain

Record Breaker

Here's what I don't understand. She, Zagitova and Marin Honda all came up from juniors, yet Zagitova is the only one who got the astronomical PCS push. It makes no sense. It's not even as if Zagitova was performing really well at the beginning of the season (she wasn't). I think the judges need to be made to explain this uneven application of PCS.

skatenewbie

Medalist
TES:
Evgenia -5-7 point (flutz called, less GOE on combo)
Alina: about right... Maybe negative or 0 GOE in 1st 3Lz which get +1
Satoko: idk if she didnt UR or not since i didnt watch her performance. if she did UR maybe lose like 4 points, esp her GOE on some jumps are too high... +1/2 in her 3-3 and 3Lo???
Kaetlyn: 2-3 points (e flutz)

PCS:
Evgenia: 75
Alina: 69~70
Kaetlyn: 72
Satoko: 72~73
Kaori: 65~66
Kostner: 74

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
That was just the most overscored olympics of history. The entire last group was overscored.

Moment

Final Flight
Kaori def deserved to be above Carolina, who didn't skate very well to an uninteresting and disconnected program. I'm not even sure Caro deserved to place sixth.

Proxy

On the Ice
Carolina was just not good. She hacked her way through both programs and that should hurt components scores. She's also older and slower than she once was. I just can't with the reputation judging.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
A couple of overlooked wrong edges on the lutz (including Evgenia and Kaetlyn)

Several overlooked URs from Satoko, Dabin, Maria and others...

Sotskova was underscored in order to let Dabin finishing ahead: poor girl totally, but it's the same bs of any Olympics.

Overall the placements are kinda fair in my opinion.

Some people might be upset about Satoko's scores but the thing is:

she is still very small -> some judge prefer the tall and statuesque look, so they would never give her huge components

her jumps are very small -> so GOEs on those would probably never be +3s from all the judges.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
That was just the most overscored olympics of history. The entire last group was overscored.

Medvedeva and Zagitova received these scores all season. (it's not even Medvedeva's PB in the free)

While both Yuna in 2010 and Sotnikova in 2014 received huge PB just for the Olympics.

Maybe Kaetlyn had that moment here, i don't think she had ever received a score above 150 before.

SNAKSuyun

did it spark joy?
On the Ice
Country
China
Maybe Kaetlyn had that moment here, i don't think she had ever received a score above 150 before.

Her previous bests were 142s from 2017 Worlds and the CS Autumn Classic, but Daleman's also gotten a 141 from that same Worlds so I feel like several skaters from the final two groups may have gotten around that (and had the potential for 150+) had they skated two fully clean and difficult programs.

charlotte14

Medalist
Agreed. And for basic skating skills and such Satoko for instance just is better. I don't think Kostner's very good at interpreting, especially the emoting is weak and disconnected. One of those eternal mysteries for me.
I just know that when I watched Carolina live. The whole arena gave her standing ovations for SP, LP and exhibition. There’s something pulling us in. Don’t know what.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Medvedeva and Zagitova received these scores all season. (it's not even Medvedeva's PB in the free)

While both Yuna in 2010 and Sotnikova in 2014 received huge PB just for the Olympics.

Medvedeva and Zagitova's scores were inflated all the season, and still inflated at olympics.
For me Medvedeva's score is her PB since WTT'scores are just bigger jokes than Oly's. And that was not her best skate.
It wasn't Zagitova 's best skate either that 's why her score is lower than her PB.
Osmond was really overscored. Without the skaky lutz she would have got 154-155. Her PB with almost the same skate was 142 and she got 152 at olympics. That's a big inflation.

David21

On the Ice
Agreed. And for basic skating skills and such Satoko for instance just is better. I don't think Kostner's very good at interpreting, especially the emoting is weak and disconnected. One of those eternal mysteries for me.

Satoko doesn't have anywhere near the same skating skills as Kostner.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Medvedeva and Zagitova's scores were inflated all the season, and still inflated at plus.
For me Medvedeva's score is her PB since WTT'scores are just bigger jokes than Oly's. And that was not her best skate.
It wasn't Zagitova 's best skate either that 's why her score is lower than her PB.
Osmond was really overscored. Without the skaky lutz she would have got 154-155. Her PB with almost the same skate was 142 and she got 152 at olympics. That's a big inflation.

Medvedeva and Zagitova both had substantial jumps as well. Osmond's score is consistent with how scoring has worked in general since 2014.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Medvedeva and Zagitova's scores were inflated all the season, and still inflated at olympics.

When you receive a score for a long time, you can agree or disagree with it of course, but it's no longer the exception, that's how judges see the skater no matter who is in the panel. Medvedeva got her first 150 in Boston in 2016 with the same technical contents.

With Zagitova you can argue that she had a big boost on her scores and that's true, but she also has the highest base values for both the short and the long (and for the long it's 4 points between her and the rest which is quite a lot), and having the most difficult programs with the most difficult combo, does make you stand out. It's something for example Duhamel / Radford did in pairs with the quads and the throw 3lutz and it was a successful move.

Kaetlyn is lovely, but congrats to Skate Canada because they basically did the canadian Adelina Sotnikova.

Until 2015-16 she was coming from a bad injury but she also known as a very inconsistent skater and even when she made cleanish programs, judges were always giving her 60-64 in the short, and around 120 for the long.

At 2016 4CC she got 119 for a good long program by her standards (a couple of 2toes instead of triples)

Then at the 2016 Skate Canada 75 for the Short program and they really tried to let her beat Medvedeva, and then 132 in the free and it was comparable to that FS at four continents with several mistakes but still that huge PB.

The rise continued (with new PBs she was seen as a medal contender by the judges): she got 142 at 2017 Worlds (and yet it wasn't a clean free skate), and again this season with new PBs at both Autumn Classics and Skate Canada and again until that 152 at the Olympics.

More than 30 points in 2 years without a clean fs.

I'm not blaming anyone because Russia did just that with Adelina, just keep in mind that all the big federations play their inflation games.

That's why in my opinion ISU should not allow a skater to partecipate at the same GP event or the same ISU challenger for more than two years in a row because it sounds a little home cooking.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
That's not quite correct. In 6.0, the artistic mark was the tie-breaker for the free skate, and it very often decided the winner in favor of the more artistic skater. Of course, the tech had to be there.

The tech score was the tie breaker in the SP, but the SP only counted 1/3, while the free counted 2/3 for the overall.

As it is still today. Zagitova tied Medvedeva, but won the FS because of her higher PCS.