Random Figure Skating Questions | Page 137 | Golden Skate

Random Figure Skating Questions

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
THANKS! this worked… now if someone could let me know what the default titles mean that would make my day ;) but I am no longer, for now, a medalist ;) just a plain observer ;)
Okay, I tinkered a bit. Click Settings, then click Edit Profile. Scroll down just a bit and you'll see a setting called 'custom title'. In the box there enter what you want, then save!

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
so...how is it determined that we are at rinkside? medalist? or bona fide members? and how can we edit it as I can see on many people's profiles.... if there's a post about this, i certainly missed it in the FAQ ? is that stupid enough of a question to be part of this thread?

Here you go. Almost missed this as it wasn't in Feedback Forum :)

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?56970

JMJ2015

Rinkside
Welcome to Golden Skate, JMJ2015!

I think that these lifts would be good subjects for our slow motion vid makers, so I will copy your question to that thread in the hopes they will help answer then!

Thank you! This has been bothering me for 2 years since it appears to happen like magic! (maybe it IS magic???? :)

yuzushenko

On the Ice
You're talking in the US?

See the rulebook at http://usfigureskating.org/New_Judging.asp?id=361

You must be 21 to take the adult moves tests pre-bronze, bronze, silver, and gold.

I believe the answer to your first question is TR 19.02 B:
"Adult skaters who have passed the adult gold moves in the field are permitted to take the standard intermediate moves in the field test without testing the standard pre-preliminary through juvenile moves in the field tests."

The first standard level with no age limits (within the US) is novice. So if you pass the novice tests as an adult you can compete as a novice. Or even if you just pass intermediate tests, you could "skate up" to novice at club competitions but you'd have to actually pass the tests to compete at regionals.

I've known a couple of adults who have passed tests in their 20s or early 30s and competed in standard track events.

ah.. so if we're 19 and we wanted to test.. we'd have to go the standard route? but i thought pre-prelim through juv had age restrictions..?

i also thought intermediate and novice and junior had age restrictions?

gkelly

Record Breaker
There are no restrictions on taking the standard tests.

There are restrictions on competing in intermediate (must be under 18) and juvenile (must be under 14), which are qualifying levels.

There are no restrictions in the rulebook about competing at lower (nonqualifying) levels. If there are enough skaters entered at a given level, clubs often divide them into several groups separated by age. With boys there are rarely enough for more than one group -- I have seen a preliminary or prepreliminary event with two entries maybe a small 7 year old and a tall 17 year old.

If a girl entered a club competition at prejuvenile or below at 19 or 20, she'd probably be competing with younger teenagers.

Clubs may not expect college-age skaters to enter lower level events, but if you work with the competition chair they can usually find a way to let you compete. However, if there is no one appropriate to compete against in a 6.0-judged event (prejuv and lower), they may not hold the event or they may call it an exhibition. Boys of all ages run into this often since there are relatively few of them.

There are also high school and collegiate competitions where all the competitors are in that age range. Depends whether you're in school and whether that school participates or not.

Some adult competitions may offer a "young adult" event if two or more skaters in their early 20s want to compete at the same level.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have a question for you guys. As it's been over a decade since I've been to Worlds (2001) I was wondering who are the fastest ladies these days. She hasn't been talked about much since she's long retired. However, Elena Liashenko was REALLY fast. The fastest Ladies skater (IMO) at Worlds in 2001. Followed closely by Fumie Suguri. For the Men.....I honestly can't Remember. If I had to guess, I'd say Todd Eldredge. He was great to see live and had DEEP Edges like Patrick. Plushy won and was clearly the best skater at the event. However, Yags was the best performer and Goooooood Looooooookin.

Unfortunately, the absolutely beautiful Jennifer Robinson skated terribly and fell really hard. The entire audience gasped!! Elvis had a bad night as well. In fact, IMO, Canada's hopes were "Saved" by the two babes of Canadian Skating. Jamie and David. Gorgeous.....Both of them.:bow:

Irina Slutskaya was fast especially in the Short Program. Unfortunately, even though she had a good LP, Michelle had the skate of her life and was the clear winner. My Wife, Maria Butyrskaya, had great a LP and received a standing ovation for her "Seventeen Moments In Spring" It was a beautiful performance.

Here's Todd's SP from event. If ever a skater needed GLOVES it's TODD!! Ugh! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uds7h1hw0oU

Last edited:

JMJ2015

Rinkside
Welcome to Golden Skate, JMJ2015!

I think that these lifts would be good subjects for our slow motion vid makers, so I will copy your question to that thread in the hopes they will help answer then!

Where do I find this? I've gone through several pages and didn't see anything that seemed to be this thread. Or I'm missing something.

Thanks again.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Not a question, but thank you for the link to Todd's SP from 2001 Worlds. I'll NEVER forgive the judge who placed him 7th (?) after this sp!

Neither will I.........Is Todd Married? Even if he is Married. I think he would make an excellent coach. He had perfect jump technique and the fastest spins by a MILE over the rest of the field. You know who else was a really good spinner and looked a Back Street Boy......Emanuel Sandhu......What is Eman's background? He looks like one of his Parents might be from India or Spain. Where ever they're from, He is fiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeeeee. Okay!!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Neither will I.........Is Todd Married? Even if he is Married. I think he would make an excellent coach. He had perfect jump technique and the fastest spins by a MILE over the rest of the field. You know who else was a really good spinner and looked a Back Street Boy......Emanuel Sandhu......What is Eman's background? He looks like one of his Parents might be from India or Spain. Where ever they're from, He is fiiiiiinnnnnnnnneeeeee. Okay!!

I believe Sandhu has an Indian father and an Italian mother. I think the marriage was not successful and Eman had a troubled childhood.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I believe Sandhu has an Indian father and an Italian mother. I think the marriage was not successful and Eman had a troubled childhood.

That's too bad. I give Eman even more credit for making a successful life for himself. I hope they were proud of him and got over themselves and stayed in his life. Anyway, what is Eman doing these days? I would think he'd make a good commentator. I remember when he was on "Dancing With The Stars Canada" and danced with a gorgeous red head. She kept saying that "Manny" was always late.( Like every dancer on the planet ) My dancers were always late and since I grew up on a Military Base, Late was something I never was. They drove me crazy....:hpull:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Todd is married (second marriage). He has two sons.

Is being married a handicap to being a good coach? :laugh:

That is an excellent question. You say Todd has been Married twice........I can only speak for myself here. Look, being gay and growing in a Military Family, I have been in 2 long relationships. Both with Marines. They're everything you'd hoped they'd be. Strong, Loyal, and Polite....... until you say. "Honey, I have to fly to Russia to sing in a bunch of Hockey Rinks" Then, they turn into babies.....I'm sure they're not all like that. However, the two I was with, were.

Speaking of Russia. I have a question all my Russian friends. Are you guys fascinated by accents? I remember staring at The Russian Hockey Players because I just thought it was coolest thing listening to them talk. One of them was totally blonde and had big blues eyes and could have easily been mistaken for a California Surfer Dude. He was like the Male version of Maria Sharapova.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
That's too bad. I give Eman even more credit for making a successful life for himself. I hope they were proud of him and got over themselves and stayed in his life. Anyway, what is Eman doing these days? I would think he'd make a good commentator. I remember when he was on "Dancing With The Stars Canada" and danced with gorgeous red head. She kept saying that "Manny" was always late.( Like every dancer on the planet ) My dancers were always late and since I grew up on a Military Base, Late was something I never was. They drove me crazy....:hpull:

Oh, Eman was just being a diva. He was cut the first season he was in and had to adjust his attitude and try again. Then he did really well the next season, with reduced arrogance. He is super and multi talented and he knew it and said it.

I love Eman. He has too much internal turmoil. He had unfavorable events happen to him in his personal life and skating career but he could have gone above and beyond them instead of holding on to not take full responsibility. Mental strength was his archilles heel. What an artist on ice.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh, Eman was just being a diva. He was cut the first season he was in and had to adjust his attitude and try again. Then he did really well the next season, with reduced arrogance. He is super and multi talented and he knew it and said it.

I love Eman. He has too much internal turmoil. He had unfavorable events happen to him in his personal life and skating career but he could have gone above and beyond them instead of holding on to not take full responsibility. Mental strength was his archilles heel. What an artist on ice.

Do you know what he's doing these days? For those of you who are old enough to remember him. He reminds of the late Christopher Bowman. Too much talent for his own good and a complete lack of focus. I hope he doesn't end up with the same fate.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A one-year old article on Emmanual Sandhu:
http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/4958568-sandhu-breathes-easy-on-ice-in-ayr/

He's coaching skating in the Waterloo, Ont area.

An interesting fact: both Emmanuel and Elvis Stojko were raised in Richmond Hill, Ontario, a town in the greater Toronto area. But only Elvis had a sign that said "Home of Elvis Stojko" below each "Welcome to Richmond Hill" road sign.

He was on So You Think You Can Dance Canada, not Dancing with the Stars.

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
A one-year old article on Emmanual Sandhu:
http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/4958568-sandhu-breathes-easy-on-ice-in-ayr/

He's coaching skating in the Waterloo, Ont area.

An interesting fact: both Emmanuel and Elvis Stojko were raised in Richmond Hill, Ontario, a town in the greater Toronto area. But only Elvis had a sign that said "Home of Elvis Stojko" below each "Welcome to Richmond Hill" road sign.

He was on So You Think You Can Dance Canada, not Dancing with the Stars.

Thanks for sharing the article. It is interesting to hear about what Emanuel is doing these days. :)

I always though of Sandhu as being the opposite of Bowman. To me, Sandhu seemed to lack self-esteem, while Bowman went overboard in the other direction.

Last edited: