Required Viewing: Toller Cranston - 1975 World Championships Cinderella FS | Golden Skate

Required Viewing: Toller Cranston - 1975 World Championships Cinderella FS

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Toller Cranston - 1975 World Championships Cinderella FS

This extremely rare footage was just posted 4-20-2022 for the late Toller Cranston's birthday. Required viewing for all skating fans. This is an excellent example of why Toller is so revered as a stylist. Note the innovative spins and choreography to Cinderella. Paging @el henry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dMqskfCRb8

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Youtube channel for FLOSkate is treasure of Toller videos, thanks for posting this.

Almost 50 years later, and many of those moves could still be incorporated in today's skating programs. In fact, many of today's programs would be much better if they did incorporate them. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
this was stellar . Deep understanding of the music expressed in pure, refined and detailed choreography. Unfortunately, this no longer happens much in today's skating. We get some bits of programs in which the elements are integrated with fluidity but a lot of crossovers leading to big jumps.... I wonder if the ISU (that's why I am running for Prez) could create a very jump oriented SP with big quads, but have the LP have a better integration of what figure skating used to be... even if not completely done, like here... but at least, some more interwoven steps, turns, spins, jumps etc..

LadyB

Record Breaker
Toller Cranston got me interested in a sport I otherwise would have never ever bothered with. There was magic that happened to me when I was 12 years old.
I have to laugh when I read posts about armography and how the one or the other does it 'to perfection'. It was Toller who introduced it. I'll never forget the 'Graduation Ball' as long as I live.
As for wonderful Jason: it's not only his Russian splits, but also his high kicks that reminds me of Toller ❤️❤️❤️

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Toller Cranston got me interested in a sport I otherwise would have never ever bothered with. There was magic that happened to me when I was 12 years old.
I have to laugh when I read posts about armography and how the one or the other does it 'to perfection'. It was Toller who introduced it. I'll never forget the 'Graduation Ball' as long as I live.
As for wonderful Jason: it's not only his Russian splits, but also his high kicks that reminds me of Toller ❤️❤️❤️

I was hoping to see you in this thread @LadyB . Toller's magic brought so many into this sport, and he is our first love. Graduation Ball is indeed 🔥

Such a good point you raise and what I noticed as well in this video. The arms. The precision, the elegance, the timing with the music. Perfection in armography must indeed be measured against Toller. ❤️

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I have never really watched Toller - this was filmed before I was even born. His commentating when I was in Canada put me off really badly and I never went back to watch his videos but I cannot see how anyone who likes figure skating would not think this was super. Thank you for posting - a revelation for me.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have never really watched Toller - this was filmed before I was even born. His commentating when I was in Canada put me off really badly and I never went back to watch his videos but I cannot see how anyone who likes figure skating would not think this was super. Thank you for posting - a revelation for me.

I am so happy to hear this, thank you for sharing.

It is one thing for a skating auntie like me to say how much we loved Toller, but it is good to hear that he can still touch viewers so many years later.

(And yes, his commentary was, well, snarky. But I knew him first as a skater so I forgave him. ) :)

LadyB

Record Breaker
His commentating when I was in Canada put me off really badly and I never went back to watch his videos but I cannot see how anyone who likes figure skating would not think this was super. Thank you for posting - a revelation for me.
It's a wonderful thing to learn that someone whose first knowledge of Toller (his commentating) triggered instantly a negative attitude towards him, is still open-minded enough to appreciate the real genius behind the skater!
I love all facets of him, he was true to himself (pretty much) all the time. People, who speak their mind are bound to be controversial. So much easier to play to the gallery.

Thank you!