Rescoring of 2010 Olympics | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Rescoring of 2010 Olympics

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
There are many factors that play into the timing of peaking, many of which aren't within the skater's control.
:agree:
Skaters can't prevent everything which can affect their training.
Though there are skaters who always seems to peak at every competition (eg: Some of Eteri's skaters).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:agree:
Skaters can't prevent everything which can affect their training.
Though there are skaters who always seems to peak at every competition (eg: Some of Eteri's skaters).

Figure skating is a bit fickle - just one wrong balance check or catching a toe nick in the ice and suddenly an otherwise clean skater is on the ice and we assume that they aren't at their peak. The astonishing thing with Eteri's skaters though is that they bring essentially their hardest content to every competition... but this is because they realize that there is so much competition in Russia that they need to show their best at all times. Once a quad is allowed in the SP, you can bet they are doing it, whereas several male skaters in 2010 who were capable of a quad (and 3A, in Lambiel's case) dumbed down their content leading up to the Olympics.

As I said, many short programs in 2010 seemed to be about staying in the hunt for a medal and not skating to win. It's unfortunate Buttle didn't stick around because he legit could have won the 2010 Olympics given the relatively ho-hum calibre of the podium/competition. Goebel's 2002 skate for bronze with 1+3 quads (along with added spin/footwork levels and whatnot) would also probably win the 2010 gold.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't necessarily disagree with that statement: but what did Oda win? It's not like he had any success in big events like worlds/olympics. Perhaps Oda did need his quads after all....
He was arguably the best Performing skater in 2009 GP series! He was doing amazing. Morozov was right on track. He lost momentum when TAkahashi gained momentum. Inarguable! Very political
Did he really? That's unfortunate. He only landed one quad in the 2008-2009 season but it was in the freeskate at Worlds so it's not like he wasn't capable. I think he really needed it (well, obviously he did) if he was going to make a play at the podium. Like Kozuka his skating is very clean and he has nice soft landings but his artistry and programs still weren't at the level needed to legitimately challenge for a medal. A shame about the 3L, because he was otherwise one of the cleanest of the bunch. And when he's on, he just lights up the ice. The Japan Open 2018 was less than 2 years ago and he laid this down - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ev3Ku6JAM - so sad that he couldn't do this 8 years earlier (and toss a 4T in the SP), because he could have potentially medaled or even won in Vancouver.
No one was reported do more quads in warm ups than Oda and Brezina too. Did either ever do one in a program? No! Interesting display of what coaches were saying to their skaters About IJS in 2009 and 2010

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Once a quad is allowed in the SP, you can bet they are doing it, whereas several male skaters in 2010 who were capable of a quad (and 3A, in Lambiel's case) dumbed down their content leading up to the Olympics.

As I said, many short programs in 2010 seemed to be about staying in the hunt for a medal and not skating to win.

No one was reported do more quads in warm ups than Oda and Brezina too. Did either ever do one in a program? No! Interesting display of what coaches were saying to their skaters About IJS in 2009 and 2010

Peaking at the wrong time is one thing...and then actively chosing to skate conservatively/not up to your realistic potential at a given point in your career is another. I don't think that anyone at the 2010 Olympics really qualified as the latter. This would require that harder content was regularly successfully executed in the recent past in competition than what was attempted at the Olympics. Out of the top 8 finishers only Evan could maaaybe be categorized as such, but his low number of attempts of/success-rate with the 4T would have made it a huge gamble to incorporate one, almost akin to the risk Dai took with his 4T attempt after he hadn't landed one successfully all season. Nobu can't be counted among the latter either imo since up to the point of the Olympics he had only ever landed one 4T (at Worlds 2009) out of 5 attempts in competition. He gained consistency with it towards the end of his active career when quads had become a necessity for a shot at the podium.

That the majority of the men's field at the time didn't focus on quads more in general was primarily reflective of the scoring system in operation, which unfortunately discouraged skaters from attempting more ambitious content.

It's unfortunate Buttle didn't stick around because he legit could have won the 2010 Olympics given the relatively ho-hum calibre of the podium/competition. Goebel's 2002 skate for bronze with 1+3 quads (along with added spin/footwork levels and whatnot) would also probably win the 2010 gold.

Jeffrey rocks, but his career best under IJS would have put him in 5th here. Timothy at his best could have won, but as with all hypothetical scenarios, the question arises what condition he would have shown up in?

He was arguably the best Performing skater in 2009 GP series! He was doing amazing. Morozov was right on track. He lost momentum when TAkahashi gained momentum. Inarguable! Very political

Which would have been at Nationals 2009 where Nobu had a fall on his Flip in the short and then another on his 4T in the free and lost out on the title on the basis of his TES alone. You could argue that he could have placed one or two spots higher at the Olympics due to his technical content, but his overall performances weren't enough to put him on the podium imo.

mikeko666

Final Flight

I disagree. Oda simply bombed when it mattered most, at Nats, Vancouver and Worlds. :(

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Jeffrey rocks, but his career best under IJS would have put him in 5th here. Timothy at his best could have won, but as with all hypothetical scenarios, the question arises what condition he would have shown up in?

I think Jeff would have gotten the win (albeit barely) with clean skates. He was artistically better than Lysacek and their content was similar... in fact Buttle’s WC2008 overall BV would have been higher if the 3As were 8.2 BV as in 2010 instead of 7.5, and step sequences and some spins (CSSp3 in particular) were worth slightly more in 2010 too.

Buttle also got decent GOE on jumps and good on spins and footwork. There was also a PCS surge after 2008... Jeff’s 2008 Worlds winning skates had 38.03 PCS for a clean SP and 78.78 PCS for a clean FS. Assuming his PCS would have further improved artistically and had his PCS rise anyways like almost everyone else, he would likely be pulling 42-43 for a clean SP (Lysacek got 42 for a clean SP) and 83-85 for a clean FS (Dai with a fall still pulled 84.50). Judges were also more lenient on their GOE and generous with their PCS in the Olympics too.

Not saying it would have been a landslide victory but at his best Buttle could have pulled it off.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Does anyone want to do 2006 Olympics men as suggested upthread, or... *gasp* Sochi ladies? (the mods will need to tell me if they'll ban the people who participate in that second thread, lol)

lappo

Final Flight
I don't have enough knowledge to rescore the 2010 men's event, the only thing that I know for certain is that the only men's program I ever bother rewatching from that Olympics is Takahashi's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTeEkONht9M&ab_channel=SKATING102
The fall in the LP was very unfortunate, even though I'm not sure that a clean program would have changed the overall results in the end. The other men's program were very unmemorable to me.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Let's rescore all of the past Olympics without the compulsory routine.
LOL It would be fun but ight also start a war. The problem with rescoring it depends on what system. Under the 6.0 system someone without tech and lots of artistry could beat someone ie Chen with a lot a tech. That would be harder with the new system as the jumps/tech is worth more. For example, a skater like Kwan wiht her solid tech and artistry would probably lose to skaters with a 3A and quad. But if you went on the 6.0 system as we could see with for example Elvis losing or Surya - they might have won under another system. I agree Jeff Buttle could have certainly beaten Evan in 2010 and I also think the poster who said Buttle's pcs probably would have risen - I agree for many reasons including the generocity of the olympic scoring but Buttle's actual skating was phenomenal. Probably he, Chan and maybe Brown and Lambiel are extraordinary. Then you have Tak, Yuzuru. followed by the others.