Rika Hongo | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
6th place at World's in her first senior season, and less than half a point from 5th.
New personal best SP, FS, and beat her PB total by what? 5 points?

What a fantastic achievement!

She must be mentally quite strong to be so consistent, which would bode well for the future. I hope she can continue to improve...

witcher

Match Penalty
When Rika finished her free skate, her technical score appeared higher than Elena's and Russian commentator started panicking a little bit, saying she had skate of her life, I thought:
"Yep, Rika Hongo became top skater this season, you have to look out for her". :yes::cheer2:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Rika's consistency is just jaw-dropping. The only one to make no mistakes and skate with attack.

The placement wasn't what some of us wanted/thought she deserved... but one good thing came out of this: She got 3F-3T ratified. :clap: She was right to go for it after all, despite my doubts. I love it when skaters prove me wrong this way.

thoakun

Final Flight
Or her father is mixed himself. When I first saw Rika, I thought she was mixed, but she still doesn't look like half Japanese, half Caucasian people I know.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Or her father is mixed himself. When I first saw Rika, I thought she was mixed, but she still doesn't look like half Japanese, half Caucasian people I know.

Could be. Mixed-race people can really vary in appearance a lot. For example Jon & Kate Gosselin's children (they had a tv show in America about their 8 kids), Alexa Chung(father is 3/4 Chinese), Becky (ベッキー). Just a few examples I can think of right now.

firal

Record Breaker
Yes, I read a short news paper article that her father is Caucasian of British descent.

Fer

On the Ice
Congrats to Rika for her performance in worlds!
No. 6 is really good for a first year senior skater and she truly deserves it. I watched her programs in Shanghai and like them a lot! She is also really pretty and very nice.
I hope she moves on next season and work step by step to solve her remaining problems like postures and under-rotations something like that.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
thanks! she is such a sweetheart :laugh: but why didnt they ask her square root of 225? they asked other skaters from Wait.. what? videos :laugh:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
thanks! she is such a sweetheart :laugh: but why didnt they ask her square root of 225? they asked other skaters from Wait.. what? videos :laugh:

Not sure. They do have a dozen or so regular questions that seem to pop up a lot. Either they only pick a few to choose each athlete or they ask them all & only include some of them.

Thanks satine94. It's a shame they couldn't bring out half of Rika's dorkiness here :biggrin:

Wakaba has posted some pictures of Rika backstage at DOI, stealing some fish cakes that she brought herself for everyone to eat :laugh:
https://twitter.com/wakawakaskate/status/609320024189222912
Could this be her new costume? The bottom half looks nice!

Lol, thanks for these, she is so funny! :laugh: It may be for a new program or an exhibition skate. Anyone know?