Rika Hongo | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Rika's new SP!!, i really liked the music, part after her 2nd spin seems empty, where music is kinda fast but she moves slowly but i am sure they will polish it before season starts :cheer:

AprilS

On the Ice
Loved it! I think the concept works so well and turns her "gangly-ness" into an asset that works with the circus theme!

firal

Record Breaker
I love this SP for Rika; she seemed to be really into playing this character too. And good job to Akiko who said that she wanted to show-off Rika's long limbs in the program.

Will she keep that makeup for competiton though? :biggrin:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Rika's new SP!!, i really liked the music, part after her 2nd spin seems empty, where music is kinda fast but she moves slowly but i am sure they will polish it before season starts :cheer:

Thanks for the video link matmuh! As I was watching her performance, I was thinking is it possible that Rika could have grown even taller? Physically, she reminds me now of Carolina Kostner, and I hope that eventually she will reach the level of Carolina's presentation skills and magnificent on ice presence, albeit with her (Rika's) athletic flair. This program seems to be a step in that direction.

Loved it. Rika makes an awesome genie.

Oh I didn't know she was playing the character of a genie. If I can make a suggestion, maybe she can change her costume to something like this. That will help Rika stand out. And I admit that I loved watching I Dream of Jeannie re-runs.

I love this SP for Rika; she seemed to be really into playing this character too. And good job to Akiko who said that she wanted to show-off Rika's long limbs in the program.

Will she keep that makeup for competiton though? :biggrin:

Yes, Akiko did a good job not just as choreographer but also as a skating coach. The arm and hand movements were nuanced to the music, and I definitely see less of the "hunchedness" in Rika's skating.

I like Rika's makeup (her eye makeup reminds me of that for the musical Cats), so I hope she keeps it. :)

Last edited:

yhmafan

Medalist
tbh I felt that in terms of choreography it looks kinda busy but Akiko has had a great start with her new career as a choriegrapher and the theme of the program ( Quidam) they chose for Rika would be a very wise choice. :party:

On the other hand, it looks like she has even improved with her posture :thumbsup: only that still bothers me is that the postures before she jumping.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh I think the new SP is a definite improvement. It just needs to be refined (but you know, early days and all). If I were her coach I'd send her to yoga and dance classes. She definitely needs to work on her stretch and extension. But she's showing some real personality out there and that's always a very good thing. Akiko is working wonders.

creaturelover

On the Ice
really nice program! I'm sure it will improve when the season starts, ie. more complexity in spins etc, but I love the overall feel of the program, it really fits Rika

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Wow. It's already a great, eye-catching program (costume and makeup equally so) - but by the time the Grand Prix starts, I think its going to be all kinds of awesome...

Rissa

Record Breaker
Oh I didn't know she was playing the character of a genie. If I can make a suggestion, maybe she can change her costume to something like this this. That will help Rika stand out. And I admit that I loved watching I Dream of Jeannie re-runs.

I like Rika's makeup (her eye makeup reminds of that for the musical Cats, so I hope she keeps it. :)

I don't know whether she actually plays genie, it's just that the music has this Arabic flair and her costume (not as genie-like as you linked though) and make up reminded me of one. I'd need to watch Quadam to see what that piece is actually about. Neverthell, I really like it, makeup included!

bronwynsings

Rinkside
I don't come on GS often, but I was blown away by Rika's new SP. I love the dress and makeup, she looks like she just stepped out of Cirque du Soleil, and it's got some really interesting choreography already. I can't wait to see this SP grow, I'm already hooked!

mikaboo

Medalist
A nice article on Rika on icenetwork.
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015/06/26/132853602

A number of things impress me about Rika and one of them is that she left home in Sendai when she was 9 to go live with her coach in Nagoya. I'm sure her mother followed her some time after, but still it was a very brave decision for a little girl to make.
I still haven't completely warmed up to her SP yet, but it gives me hope that so many people here are liking it.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I see potential in the music and the choreography. Rika is so funny and lovable. I wish her the very best next season.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
A nice article on Rika on icenetwork.
http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2015/06/26/132853602

A number of things impress me about Rika and one of them is that she left home in Sendai when she was 9 to go live with her coach in Nagoya. I'm sure her mother followed her some time after, but still it was a very brave decision for a little girl to make.
I still haven't completely warmed up to her SP yet, but it gives me hope that so many people here are liking it.

Thanks for the article link.

What I remember of her last year is from my (ever-persistent) participation in threads for comps she was in. For CoR, many users were surprised she skated like she did, but still didn't believe she could take the title (which she did); then for the GPF at times it was said she was out of her league there; and finally at Worlds there was a thread solely dedicated to predicting where she would place, with many saying 8-10th place, or even higher! She really surprised a lot of people last season, myself included. I'm excited for her new programs & still over the moon she is in Akiko's care- no better person to help her artistically, imo :agree:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I think both her programs look great this season, and hopefully she can polish and improve them as the season goes on (like she did last year). Nice costumes again too.

From the site linked below, it seems she will be at Finlandia again this year. I hope so, because I'm planning to be there anyway... and I'd love to see her skate again in person...

http://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=2700

PS. The collab with Akiko was beautiful!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Rika is currently in 1st place after the short program at Finlandia Trophy :dance: Rika got the bronze here last year. She has a great chance at ending up on that podium again! :party2: