Rika Kihira | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I'm not sure what the hell happened, but they robbed her many levels on her spins without a reason and her pcs compared to other competitions were low, that also happened to many other skaters. Plus I'm pretty sure the ice was not at the best quality, many skaters didn't perform well there.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Yes I keep rewatching trying to work out what the h#ll was allegedly wrong with her spins and I can't see it.

Pretty sure they gave her a level 2 for something!!!! Like wth!!!!???

Ok I'm Asian so I'm allowed to say this: Scoring for Japenese Nats was like angry Asian parenting gone rogue!!!!!!

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Her spins were actually at their best!, as well as her 3f-3t combo! wth with those low GOE judges!!!!, the 3lo was good, the only element with negative score was the 3A but it was only a step-out, but they give her only level 3 in one of her spins and in her step sequence, really? are they kidding us? why her components are not at least 35, this is a joke, well I hope she give us a clean free skate and forget about this no-sense scoring

lzxnl

Final Flight
I think it was the combination spin?

Anyway, the judging seemed really harsh? Barely anyone got level 4 on most spins and steps, and I can't recall anyone who had all level 4s.

They gave her level 3s in the end it seems.

Not the best skate it seems with a 3A step out, which is pretty odd for her right now, but better now than Worlds.

SkateChan

Rinkside
Weird:shrug: but compared to GPF where Rika was downscored even more:
Combination Spin: GPF - Level 4, Nationals - Level 3
Step Sequence: GPF - Level 4, Nationals - Level 3 (???)

Only Flying Camel spin got Level 4 compared to GPF.
Harsh judgin:disapp:

Nachi

On the Ice
I was only able to watch a video on youtube. It seems that almost all of her elements were marked yellow which means those elements will be reviewed after the program, right? I'm definitely not a master of FS but except for the Axel I didn't understand what the judges problem was. I also think that GOE and PCS shouldn't be thrown out like candy but...wow...SO low!

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
idk what Rika has to do to get appreciated more by her own fed???
I feel like jsf put an impossibly high standards for their own skaters that they ding even the smallest of imperfections? like wth.
i don't understand the scores tbh.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Just seen her SP from yesterday, and she really is so good. This is not easy music to skate to, but she does an awesome job - she hits prominent notes and accents them with her movements, and expresses the music with her body, not just with arms and steps. She is such a pleasure to watch, she's so calm and secure.

As for scores, I don't know enough to have valuable comments, because they still look pretty good to me! If she hadn't had that step out of the 3A, I guess her technical score would have been higher, though I do think she performed the programme well enough to get a little more credit in the PCS department. But I am a newbie, so can't tell when spins miss revolutions, and when steps are missing in the step sequence. :p I know enough to know that I know nothing, beyond the fact that Rika is a lovely skater, and I'm looking forward to catching her FP.

gotoschool

Medalist
I wish Rika the best in her LP. She skated wonderfully in the SP and did a fine job holding onto the landing of the triple axel without falling down. I hope she lands all her jumps successfully in the LP and has a joyous performance and that she gets a chance to let her ankle heal for a long time before returning to training. I believe the process of underscoring the biggest threats like Rika domestically to provide cover for international underscoring so that victory is easier for more favored skaters is a well established tactic in the ISU and the JSF has long shown it may either be forced to go along with this agenda because of a lack of political power or because there may be some kind of quid pro quo for such arrangements. This precedent has already been set because last year Rika was given lower PCS in the Nationals LP than in the Grand Prix Final LP even with a higher tech score and more triple axels and even after winning every competition, while Satoko and Kaori were given a PCS boost above Rika and had more generous tech calls than in the Grand Prix series. Again, here Rika has far higher tech score in the SP yet lower PCS than Satoko or Kaori. However in my view, the intention is not to boost Satoko and Kaori, they do have wonderful performances, but to establish the precedent of deflating the reputational scoring of a formidable challenger at home to make it easier to do so internationally, while more favored skaters receive generous scoring at Nationals that can set the precedent for generous scoring internationally. In my view, acknowledging the manipulation of scores is a way of giving proper credit to Rika for the performances she puts out on the ice, though admittedly she does make mistakes sometimes, instead of second guessing her ability because of systematic underscoring.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Sorry you've lost me 😅

So basically she's being screwed over to make it easier for other skaters from shadier Feds to win?

That's very...... discouraging.

readernick

Medalist
I wish Rika the best in her LP. She skated wonderfully in the SP and did a fine job holding onto the landing of the triple axel without falling down. I hope she lands all her jumps successfully in the LP and has a joyous performance and that she gets a chance to let her ankle heal for a long time before returning to training. I believe the process of underscoring the biggest threats like Rika domestically to provide cover for international underscoring so that victory is easier for more favored skaters is a well established tactic in the ISU and the JSF has long shown it may either be forced to go along with this agenda because of a lack of political power or because there may be some kind of quid pro quo for such arrangements. This precedent has already been set because last year Rika was given lower PCS in the Nationals LP than in the Grand Prix Final LP even with a higher tech score and more triple axels and even after winning every competition, while Satoko and Kaori were given a PCS boost above Rika and had more generous tech calls than in the Grand Prix series. Again, here Rika has far higher tech score in the SP yet lower PCS than Satoko or Kaori. However in my view, the intention is not to boost Satoko and Kaori, they do have wonderful performances, but to establish the precedent of deflating the reputational scoring of a formidable challenger at home to make it easier to do so internationally, while more favored skaters receive generous scoring at Nationals that can set the precedent for generous scoring internationally. In my view, acknowledging the manipulation of scores is a way of giving proper credit to Rika for the performances she puts out on the ice, though admittedly she does make mistakes sometimes, instead of second guessing her ability because of systematic underscoring.

This is all a bit too much for me. I am not a fan of conspiracy theories.This wasn't Rika's best performance. Yes, she would have received a higher score for it internationally or in another nationals. Japan is just more strict/ honest in their scoring. Does this hurt their skater's internationally? Yes, perhaps. But, I don't think it is part of a giant conspiracy between Japanese federation and the ISU. I find Rika's international scores to be fair. Some other skaters (Alina Zagitova , Anna S. are overscored) but Rika's scores always seem correct, not too low or too high.

Her PCS being lower here is likely because she skated before Kaori if she skated later she would probably have received higher PCS than anyone but Satoko( let's be honest Satoko deserves higher PCS than Rika or any other skater currently competing). PCS was low for all the skaters with the exception of Satoko. The harsh technical calls were consistent across the ladies competition, almost no skater got level 4s on all spins/ steps ( even Satoko got level 3 spins). The UR calls were also strict ( but thankfully Rika's jumps were all fully rotated).

The men's competition was not judged with the same strict standards. Who is the technical caller for the ladies fs? Will it be the same technical panel as the sp? Honestly, the strict technical panel benefits Rika because even if she doesn't get all her levels she is less likely to UR jumps/ get edge calls than her competitors. A strict technical panel almost guarantees Rika a win, unless she totally melts down.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I'm stressed!!! So so so stressed!

Practice didn't look great (Just watched the vid).

Come on munchkin we desperately want you to win!!!

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Congratulations to our new national champion. Beautiful skate. And she actually smiled in the middle of her performance!!

gotoschool

Medalist
So happy for Rika on her victory and giving such a fabulous performance with 2 gorgeous triple axels one in combination with a triple toe and her expression and fluidity of movement were truly beautiful. Edit: I didn't realize the triple axel / triple toe backend was called a ur. That is a really harsh call even in slow motion.

readernick

Medalist
Rika was amazing. It was technically strong (that second 3A was amazing) and also beautiful.

However, I got an unhappy feeling from Rika despite her huge victory. Do you think she was upset that she had to play it safe? Or was she in pain? I like seeing her beautiful smile at the end of each performance. It didn't seem as genuine today.

Nachi

On the Ice
Rika was amazing. It was technically strong (that second 3A was amazing) and also beautiful.

However, I got an unhappy feeling from Rika despite her huge victory. Do you think she was upset that she had to play it safe? Or was she in pain? I like seeing her beautiful smile at the end of each performance. It didn't seem as genuine today.

She looked fine to me. Maybe a little less excited but I'd say that it's a bit of exhaustion and maybe also some kind of relief. She did very well today but it must have been stressful for her as well with all GP and now to nats.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker

I think she was quite happy and excited throughout. Just look at her face during her program
https://twitter.com/quadLz/status/1208367587337195520?s=20

readernick

Medalist
She looked fine to me. Maybe a little less excited but I'd say that it's a bit of exhaustion and maybe also some kind of relief. She did very well today but it must have been stressful for her as well with all GP and now to nats.

Yes, it is probably just exhaustion. I am over analyzing things. Her eyes looked red before she started her skate. It looked like she had been crying but it was probably just nerves/exhaustion. I hope she can rest a bit now.

It is pretty funny that she actually over-rotated her second 3A. I feel like this is the first of many national titles for Rika. I am so proud of her.