Rika Kihira | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Rika Kihira

FayD

spring will come 🌸
On the Ice
Some clips from today's practice. Seems like she struggled with the 3A a bit in the start but then landed a couple of clean ones. You can see her quad here as well and a bit of the SP (the cartwheel!)

Good luck, Rika! :hap10:

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I just realized Rika is in Edea Piano again! I am always worried when she switches between Risport and Edea so much 😩

lzxnl

Final Flight
I'm looking forward to when she next skates this program without the nerves. It'll be even more amazing by then, I'm sure!

gotoschool

Medalist
That was one smooth, beautiful triple axel to open Rika's program with a fantastic quick arabesque on exit, a picture perfect lutz edge with a tremendous rippon tano, and a lovely cartwheel and edge through the arcing fan spiral at the end of the step sequence. The fluidity and rapidity with which her blades sliced through the ice so gracefully was exciting and simply beautiful along with the maturity of her intriguing and unusual expression. Rika is a captivating artist, skater and athlete. The leg lift into the combo was impressive but so challenging, so maybe entering straight would make it easier to land the backend cleanly, though she covered it pretty well.

Here is a high quality video of Rika's performance just posted with a better and closer camera angle as well. I wish Rika the best in the long and hope she can land the quads, triple axels and go clean through the rest with dynamic expression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTp_pT_xT54&ab_channel=bonheur3

gotoschool

Medalist
In my opinion, Rika is the most impressive skater currently competing in terms of overall qualities with the back to back quad salchow and triple axel with limited pre-rotation, a proper Lutz edge in the short, and picturesque air position and fabulous flow in an out of the elements. She also has a profound aesthetic sense that transports the viewer on a beautiful journey with intricate precision and detail as she articulates every movement. She also has fluid and smooth skating with beautiful edges as seen by the marvelous s shaped change of edge spiral which hearkens back to classical style of her ideal skater and mentor Mao Asada who did the same element in almost the same location in Madame Butterfly at Worlds 2016. The same season Mao went to do a show with Stephane Lambiel called Ice Legends and now he is doing a great job as Rika's coach. The roots of the past come back to flower in another beautiful and unique expression. However, the underscoring is also so reminiscent of Mao for whom it was even more pronounced, and brings back memories of Rika's underscoring especially at 2018 nationals which I think she should have won along with Worlds 2019 where she should have medalled. In any case, Rika's powerful expression and athletic talent appeals to subjective expression in the mind that creates its own evaluation and to me is beginning to transcend the system much like Mao's performances did for me. Here is a 1080 copy of her marvelous performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqcq0Xc890M

Last edited:

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Rika commenting her free skate:

When asked why she switched the 3Lz to 2A, she said she's had pain from doing 3Lz recently.... (I'm only going by the subtitles)

I previously thought she switched to 2A because she felt tired at the end of the program, so this is kinda concerning that her Lutz-related injury from last season is back.

lzxnl

Final Flight

When asked why she switched the 3Lz to 2A, she said she's had pain from doing 3Lz recently.... (I'm only going by the subtitles)

I previously thought she switched to 2A because she felt tired at the end of the program, so this is kinda concerning that her Lutz-related injury from last season is back.

I think it's hilarious how she skated the wrong way the entire time, and amazing how she had the fortitude to fix the skating direction without drawing attention to that mistake. I'm looking forward to seeing this program at full difficulty though; that would score enormously. Although she hasn't been able to skate this program once without mistakes yet (and who can blame her? 4S, 2x3A)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

“I still have pain sometimes after my Lutz, so I know I can improve on that,” said Kihira. “I had many small mistakes and I think that I could certainly score ten points more. I will work on my condition, muscles and strength for that.”

gotoschool

Medalist
Here are some beautifully expressive photos of Rika with a lovely smile. https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/photonews/photonews_nsInc_202012280000580-1.html

Here is also a video of Rika's performance in Japanese in which she gives a commentary of her freeskate performance while watching it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MooZ2DNCNr0

Last edited:

gotoschool

Medalist
Her is a beautiful high quality video of one of Rika's performance from back in 2015 that was recently posted. Unfortunately, the sound drops out shortly after 2 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUvLH470VCw&ab_channel=Movesinthefield

However, here is another high quality fancam version from the same season I found that I hadn't seen before:

Last edited:

Vemvane

On the Ice
Bundled up very snugly, in this announcement about a competition collaboration with Red Bull and Tsuruha. Looks like she has her own clothing label, if the tags on the mittens and scarf are anything to go by!

144206934_140244274597773_5812110565562774904_n.jpg

Source.