Rising from the SkAm Fire: Your Top 5 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rising from the SkAm Fire: Your Top 5

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ugh.. the last two gps... maybe i am just tired.. but it's getting harder to find good stuff... lol

here are a few

nathan's sp
han yan's sp
kaori's sp and lp
aljona landing throws on one foot and ditching the 3a
alex being a super sexy latin dancer ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i forgot to mention one thing.. which is to me... perhaps the most surprising : i have always loved Gabby's power and flair but in the slow section before the mishaps today, i connected emotionally to her skating... she really skates to music and has a raw emotion in her performance. I hope she continues to develop that, and for this moment, I am forgiving her team for choosing the more intimate selections from gladiator... she is not just there to jump and fly... she is really emoting.

KUDOS Gabby!!!! Really, that's a special gift.

Yes 4everchan, I felt that emotion from Gabby too! It felt so real, like she was living the heartache and loneliness of being a warrior, expected to be nothing more than a warrior yet the tragedy and agony within ...life imitates art or art imitates life?
It was so sincere. It scares me what she must be going through to relate like that.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
1. Rippon's SP and LP
2. Han Yan's SP
3. Chinese pair (love them)
4. Shibs SD/FD
5. Nathan's SP

Honorable Mention: H/B and G/P's FD's, and Gabby's SP.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Definitely a weird one. We could also look out for the top 5 worst moments ;)

1. Sergei Voronov in the final!
2. Adam Rippon just won me over!
3. Gilles/Poirier FD
4. Duhamel/Radford SP
5. Shibutanis FD

Still haven't watched the gala yet.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
1. Shibs' SD and FD and Gala - they simply looked like they owned this competition and were playing hosts.
2. Savchenko/Massot LP and especially the gala performance
3. Sakamoto LP and KnC reaction
4. Nathan Chen SP
5. Adam Rippon LP

Honorable Mentions: Gabrielle Daleman's gala, Han Yan SP, Miyahara's comeback in the SP and LP, Tennell showing us that U.S. Ladies can fully rotate and land triples, Voronov having a good showing, Hawayek/Baker's FD, Muramoto/Reed's FD, Mura's gala, and Wakaba making the GPF.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
yeah...it was one heck of a big dumpster with fire, bugs and arm dislocation day #onlyintheUSA, BUT...

- Aliona/Bruno - SP is an appetizer that makes you feel hungry for more, FS is a main course that left me fully satiated - in every sense and EX was a dessert with something unique, laid-back, modern and uncatchable, I just could not put my finger on it; there was a sense of abandon and control in the same time, blending with this flow and rhythm of the music. Aliona is one hell of fierce queen, finally realizing that the 3A is not her definition, nor it should be an obsession, they really do not even need it at this rate AND with these kind of programs being a statements on their own. Bruno grows so much with each outing, his presence, stance, support, strength in FS are very much impressive for me, being together with eye-catching, star/diva Aliona (it's not the easiest thing to pop out);

- Yu/Zhang - magical fairy Yu showed claws and fierce look that somehow upgraded their performances for me to statement pieces, with so much substance to sppreciate. Her attitude, fire, determination shown out there impressed me and showed that this delicate, ballerina-looking woman is made for stern stuff. And a separate sentence to appreciate Yu's elevation, posture, finishing of movement, arms work, stylish, effortless and graceful landing on throws:bow:

- Maia/Alex - to hold up themselves in such weird circumstances of an event, with quite harsh panel technically-speaking with so much style, control, calm and attitude is truly commendable. This GP showing really proved that they successfully embraced and grown into this 'ownership mind-set' of champions: they are going into competition with full-on speed and faith, belief shown in themselves, their work, skills, shown in every movement. SD was so universally appealing and unique at the same time in its creation - it draws people inside of that colourful, fun moment of pure celebration of great music, great dancing, amazing performing and being in all of this TOGETHER at the same speed and flow. It's already a gem and finished product to sell like hot cakes - and there are multiple willing buyers out there;). FD proved otoh that this is already a team that is consciously building their stuff with 'bigger picture' perspective, not really looking at results/scores separately, but in broader space that encompasses their philosophy and aesthetic. They sure showed that they're capable of not only performing the movement to the music, but also to re-create the music's feeling out there, adding their personal ingredient into it, allowing people to take this deeper and more personal;

- Satoko - Tiny Queen made a big comeback and spoke to me louder than worlds using the language she's the most fluent probably: her skating. Both performances showed off not only a sole craft of choreography, movement design in it, but also how organic and natural Satoko's skating is looking, how the music, the movement and her way of performing/expressing blend together into splendid moment. For me, she matured immensely during that almost 1 year off competition - she feels more 'grown' into her aesthetic and things she excels in. And a separate point to appreciate her step sequences and spins - her choreos are making these elements to pop and shine so brightly, never feeling forced or as afterthoughts, her layback deserves its own thread there - so, so amazing to look at!

- Adam - despite broken wing, he let that bird fly and make its feathers paint in silver - what a competitor, what a fighter, what a performer. His embrace and honesty shown in stuff what he does now brings more and more people to him, allowing them to understand from where Adam is coming from I feel. This grit and striving on difficult circumstances, building a moment on it is a true value for me. He kept his cool in FS, leading still an impactful performance that got his great result and showed his capability to raise under pressure;

- Bradie - that's the spirit of competitor, such a debut and charm pulled on audience. The amount of freshness, fierceness and control showed from her at the same time is truly outstanding in my opinion. I hope this will be a huge confidence boost for her, she really put a strong mark out there, raising above everyone's expectations and predictions (except Mrs. P ones:laugh:)

- Nathan, SP in particular - what a cool cat Nathan is!:cool14:, amazing unity of edgy program, choreo with character and a skater that keeps it all in his fists and daring stare. His cool could be really his biggest advantage on others leading to Olympics - he seems so...composed all the time, it's quite admirable;

Honourable mentions: Kaori's great sense of artistic quirkiness in choreos and performances, Gabrielle's sass, attitude, fight and AMAZING make-up/styling as usual (start that make-up lessons, girl, so many ladies in Ice Dance are in need!), Sergei's solidity, Meagan and Eric's SP, Gilles/Poirier everything (heartbroken for them, but still in love), Serafima's spirit and Plushenko in bonus on boards:)