Russian Ladies Team for EC 2015: facts, speculations and drama | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian Ladies Team for EC 2015: facts, speculations and drama

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
What Yulia says is that her task is skate and perform as well as she can, while the Federation will do the picking out. If she gets to the Euros, she does, if she doesn't, it's her own fault - it's not the end of the world, she'll try to get to the Worlds and she won't quite retire at 16. It was both her and Eteri's decision to skate this year. And she won't be ashamed to lose to such good skaters she has to compete with.

Nicely done :cheer:, a more mature approach than some adults have had.

Alba

Record Breaker
What Yulia says is that her task is skate and perform as well as she can, while the Federation will do the picking out. If she gets to the Euros, she does, if she doesn't, it's her own fault - it's not the end of the world, she'll try to get to the Worlds and she won't quite retire at 16. It was both her and Eteri's decision to skate this year. And she won't be ashamed to lose to such good skaters she has to compete with.

Good girl.
Thank you Fayruza. :)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Good attitude Julia. Good to set the record straight, take charge and take responsibilities.

On a second thought, I think I can understand why RSF appear to want to repress Julia's chances to compete at Europeans Championship. Julia is the reigning European Champion, the greatest threat to Adelina's chances for her first major ISU championship title... other than at the Olympics. Necessary Evil?

Conspiracy much?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
On a second thought, I think I can understand why RSF appear to want to repress Julia's chances to compete at Europeans Championship. Julia is the reigning European Champion, the greatest threat to Adelina's chances for her first major ISU championship title... other than at the Olympics. Necessary Evil?

I don't think this is the case. Elena and Liza are far greater threats than Julia.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker

:clap:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I wonder if it's at all a possible scenario that Sotnikova goes to Euros and the judges there give her the Olympic treatment again,
And then she wins and goes on to win worlds because judges don't usually drop scores mid season...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
:clap: Great words, Yulia. All she should focus on is delivering a great skate.

Julia has always been bigger threat to Adelina's legitimacy (popularity) than Liza or Elena, to the point I felt her recent fall in stock seems rather artificial, as if she doesn't have the backing of her federation any more.
So it's the Russian Federation's fault that Yulia fell on her triple flip/doubled her triple salchow? :laugh: Thank goodness Yulia herself doesn't seem to have such a crazy outlook.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't think this is the case. Elena and Liza are far greater threats than Julia.

Neither have won an European Championship, are reigning OGM, and they don't benefit from defending champion bonuses.
Depends on if you believe in defending champion bonuses. Julia should be allowed to defend her title.

Fact is Julia is by far the most impressive Russian girl out there in terms of % championship golds per season in her young career. Far more than Adelina, Liza (who caught up massively this season) or Elena. Her current weaker season actually give RSF a way to reassert authority to shape their offering.

If it is up to me, I'd stick with good old fashioned universal sporting rule. Top 3 wins get to compete, RSF officials/politicians should play fair and avoid influence judges' decisions. If they are going to apply rule, apply equally.

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
RSF officials/politicians should play fair and avoid influence judges' decisions. If they are going to apply rule, apply equally.

You're talking about the judging body that gave Kovtun and Plushenko 9+ in Components last season,
If they want to elevate someone they'll do it.

For all we know Anna and Alena could skate lights out and still the judges would find a way to score the others higher even with multiple mistakes.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
We're speaking about Yulia so much here, but I can't imagine how Anna P. must feel in all this.
I still think that the statements of Lakernik&Co. were completely wrong timing.

These girls really do not need more (useless, IMO) pressure put on them. There really was no hurry. They could've waited until the competition was over.

NaVi

Medalist
I wonder if it's at all a possible scenario that Sotnikova goes to Euros and the judges there give her the Olympic treatment again,
And then she wins and goes on to win worlds because judges don't usually drop scores mid season...

IIRC & IMO, Sotnikova's has two good programs(better than Liza and Elenas IMO) and if she skates them cleanly she'd easily be given 210 at Euros.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Since when is Adelina someone like Yuna that can sit out a whole season then get sent to a big competition like Euro's or Worlds? The girl hasn't even won a single GP event in her career.

Amei

Record Breaker
Since when is Adelina someone like Yuna that can sit out a whole season then get sent to a big competition like Euro's or Worlds? The girl hasn't even won a single GP event in her career.

It doesn't matter to me who the athlete is, the Russian Ladies is so competitive that picking 3 people from the skaters that have competed will be difficult - even worse if they are going to bring in past skates to justify bringing someone into the team. Yuna was different because the Korean skating ranks were not deep - Russia is the complete opposite, they have too many skaters.

BounceAround

On the Ice
ADDED LATER
8. Honorable President of the Federation Valentin Piseev said in his latest interview that RusFed didn't give any guarantees to Sotnikova. If she wants to go to Euros she should take part in at least one competition before Euros. The only competition before Euros is in Poland. The decision will be made only if she will skate good.
Source: http://www.gazeta.ru/sport/news/2014/12/22/n_6769477.shtml

I guess Adelina probably won't get the spot then. The competition in Poland is pretty soon, and it would be tough to get ready. I still hope to see her skate her programs again sometime later in the season. Maybe she could skate in the World Team Trophy if her condition is good?

Your post was very easy to read, btw. I think the Russian members of this forum write very good English :)!

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Some people think a OGM is more prestigious than winning a GP event, but apparently not everyone.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Some people think a OGM is more prestigious than winning a GP event, but apparently not everyone.

You know what he meant Funny lady,

I would argue she'd just as likely fall into the category of Chait & Sakhnovsky,

But of course they didn't come from a federation quite like the Russian ;)

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
She is the 4th most impressive Russian girl this season. That counts for something, right?

She still has the highest scoring short,

If she can only get through a FS i assume she'll be fine,
Maybe not this year though?

I mean, she managed to get her 3Lz-3T back till the GPF, And approved twice, That's kinda cool, No?
Maybe Flip or Sal will be there by Europeans or worlds.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I mean, she managed to get her 3Lz-3T back till the GPF, And approved twice, That's kinda cool, No?
Maybe Flip or Sal will be there by Europeans or worlds.

At 16, Julia's body may not be done changing, and I think her technique has always been questionable as far as getting enough height to rotate jumps as an adult. It would not surprise me if she continues to struggle with consistency in the near future.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
You know what he meant Funny lady,

I would argue she'd just as likely fall into the category of Chait & Sakhnovsky,

But of course they didn't come from a federation quite like the Russian ;)

Adelina may not win anything big again. I think that is unlikely because the field is weak relative to how it has been the last couple of years, but she isn't the most consistent skater so she will struggle at times. However, last year she did put together three very good events in a row (nationals/euros/olympics) so maybe she has the ability to peak when she needs to. We will see whether she can do it again, presumably at a Senior B.