Scrapped programs you wish skaters had kept/debuted? | Golden Skate

Scrapped programs you wish skaters had kept/debuted?

ptvvibezz

MK forever
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I was recently reading an article about Karen Chen and it turns out she was supposed to skate to Tosca for her 2017-18 FS but ended up dropping it and switched to Carmen (then Slow Dancing in the Big City... and then back to Tango Jealousy). I would really love to see Karen debut it in a show or use it as an exhibition.

What are programs that were choreographed but scrapped before it could be seen publically that you wish you could see? Or what are programs that you wish skaters kept for the whole season?

One that I am dying to see is Michelle's Bells of Moscow which was choreographed by Tarosova for the Torino season. I'm hoping there's footage or a tape with the music cut that'll be released in the future. I also wish Michelle kept her Rush/Eric Clapton SP from the '00 - '01 season (love EoE though).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Weaver and Poje's Free Dance to Spartacus. This was at ACI (i was in the audience) and their parents were there and said it was really new, pretty much a first time for them performing it. I wish they had had a chance to develop it. Of course, being an Olympic year, they opted to go back to a well-established program instead (Je suis malade) . I love the lifts, this was going to be a good one if they had had time to tweak and practice it...

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Ooh what a great idea for a thread!

For me personally, Guignard/Fabbri's original 2019/20 RD to the Paramour soundtrack. It was classy, it was unique, it fit the theme and worked really well for them, the Finnstep worked really well with the music... I could go on :laugh:

They performed it twice:
Debut at Lombardia, after which they changed a couple of the bits of music and some of the choreo, and then at IdF.

Lombardia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IexlOKMga2E

IdF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZeOkMFM8lk

What happened next makes me really irritated... They were essentially told by the judges that the music wasn't recognisable enough, no-one knew what the musical was, and that made the program less effective. And it seems it was sort-of implied that they would score lower with it...

To quote Marco (from this excellent interview):
"But, unfortunately, as it often happens, things which are not really popular pay less than popular things."

So, they were basically obliged to switch programs, despite wanting to keep their original choice. They chose Grease (because it's so popular and recognisable) which clearly made the judges happy but annoyed some fans who complained that others were already doing Grease programs and that the original RD was better.

I don't really understand why the judges discouraged a more unique music choice which suited the skaters and fitted the theme? Would they rather watch half the ice dance field skate to the same 4 popular musicals? It would seem so...

Sorry for the slight rant! A couple of seasons later and this still annoys me! :laugh:

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Mine is probably My Way/Yellow Moon skated by Aliona Kostornaia. I believe she only skated it at one domestic competition. I loved the music build-up towards the end.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Plus, another one for me is Greig's SP of Daisuke choreo'd by Stephane Lambiel, which was never skated at competitions nor exhibitions. The rumor said the music was 'Morning mood' in Peer Gynt. :love2: To date, I want to watch it so badly! Aren't there any practice video somewhere???
Daisuke Takahashi's Ocean Waves FS (2008-2009) choreographed by Pascale Camerlengo. Alissa Czisny was watching while they were working on the program, and later picked the same music for 2010-2011 FS.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She never skated it well but, I really liked Tonya Harding's Moon River program. It showed a new side of her but, I think I only saw it once. Maybe she skated it as a gala program, I can't remember but, I really liked it.

Trusova4Ever

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I was recently reading an article about Karen Chen and it turns out she was supposed to skate to Tosca for her 2017-18 FS but ended up dropping it and switched to Carmen (then Slow Dancing in the Big City... and then back to Tango Jealousy). I would really love to see Karen debut it in a show or use it as an exhibition.

What are programs that were choreographed but scrapped before it could be seen publically that you wish you could see? Or what are programs that you wish skaters kept for the whole season?

One that I am dying to see is Michelle's Bells of Moscow which was choreographed by Tarosova for the Torino season. I'm hoping there's footage or a tape with the music cut that'll be released in the future. I also wish Michelle kept her Rush/Eric Clapton SP from the '00 - '01 season (love EoE though).
Why does TT do a Bells of Moscow program for literally almost all of the Ladies she coached? Sasha, Mao, Michelle? Like what?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I remember Shae Lynn choreographed a SP for Kayne\Oshea earlier in the quadrennial
for a Sofi Tukker trak, I think they dumped it because their challenger (or whatever) performance of it
got a really low score, but it was probably because they botched a few elements.
It seemed to have great potential, but I would have no idea where to find it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
2009-10 season, Jeremy Abbott "Jupiter" by Holst/"Pines of Rome" by Respighi LP, choreo was by Tom Dickson. It never got skated in competition IIRC, and would have been amazing! I wish he would have revisited that program later in his competitive career because it would have been beautiful! :)

Last edited:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
2009-10 season, Jeremy Abbott "Jupiter" by Holst/"Pines of Rome" by Respighi LP, choreo was by Tom Dickson. It never got skated in competition that IIRC, and would have been amazing! I wish he would have revisited that program later in his competitive career because it would have been beautiful! :)
I wish we had gotten a chance to see this. Such wonderful music choices, especially the Respighi!

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think about some programs that never were seen. I wish we got a chance to see them - maybe they were great, maybe they weren't - I guess we'll never know!

The elusive qualifying round program of Lu Chen - I believe it was to La Mer. This was obviously performed and seen, but not by many.

Before Silverstein & Pekarek split (and broke my heart) I read they had a Christopher Dean choreographed Cirque du Soleil program (if I remember correctly).

Davis and White scrapped a La Strada program - I believe replaced with Die Fledermaus. And this year Chock and Bates changed their RD to Billie Eilish - the early music listings I saw listed the first music as Cantaloop.