Seeking advice boot for 8 yr old figure skater | Golden Skate

Seeking advice boot for 8 yr old figure skater

mumof3

Spectator
hi Guys

i´ve been reading a lot in this interesting forum, and now i´ve signed up to gather some advice ond opinios.

We live in Germany, i have 2 kids figure skating, a girl 8 yrs and a boy 5 yrs.
My daugther is on her 3rd season, although the first one was only a few weeks due to corona lockdowns.
She can do all single jumps, is starting to learn axel (but under rotates so far), has problems with the sitting pirouette.
Her size is 140 cm, which would be 4.5 foot and her weigth is 27 Kilos, which would be approx. 59 punds.
She trains 6 days a week, 2 hrs on ice, and once or twice off ice training.
As a beginner she started out in Wifa Shoes, thats a softer leather boot from Austria.
The second season we went to a fitting shop, they recommended Risport Rf Pro 3, which she had in her 2nd season.

Now for the 3rd season she tried both Risport Rf3 Pro 3 and Edea Chorus in the shop, and she immediately liked edea, so the fitter said, we can get that one. The Blade is MK Professional Light.

She did a good season on that boot, i think, but towards the end she had pain and something like a blister on the achilles tendon.

Now my question/problem: Our Trainer hates edea shoes. She was always against that boot, she wants all kids to wear the Wifa boots, but we don´t like the boot and the quality.
The Trainer thinks, the boot is too hard for my daugthers weigth and Skill, and that the stiff boot ist the reason, thats she can not go deep enough in the sitting spin.
That she is working with her feet against the hard shoes without succeeding.
And without that spin, she can´t have her own skating freestyle program.

just now we got a used Risport Electra light, which is a lighter boot. my daughter is trying it, but she is scared to jump now, because the boot feels less supportive and she is used to edea now.

I also ordered a Edea overture without blades for comparison, that one is supposed to be less stiff than edea chorus, but doesn´t seem much softer to us, although she didn´t try it on ice.

I don´t know what to do now.

I think, the fitting shop we went to may have sold us the wrong boots, but now she´s been skating most of her "career" so far in hard boots. I don´t know, if and how we can switch.

i could try to find another store further away, that also fits.

Any ideas and advice is very appreciated!

Thanks!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
@mumof3
Hi and welcome! Sorry I haven't answered sooner as I've been busy with the end of the season.

Ignore the trainers opinion, if they keep insisting on something that doesn't work for your skater, then dump the trainer and get a new one.

Edea doesn't sound like it's working in this case with your skaters feet, rubbing on the achille's tendon. I would have had her in RF3 for a Risport if that is the brand that works with her, Electra Lite is going to be too soft and not enough for her jumps.

My advice and choices of possible boots for her that could work would be Graf Richmond Special (Swiss boot brand) or Riedell Bronze Star could work as well. Keep her away from Revolution blades/Lite blades. The most she needs is traditional MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace.

Try THIS shop in Berlin, if you haven't already. My most important opinion here is that she have a truly professional fitting with someone that knows figure skates.

Good luck!

Last edited:

mumof3

Spectator
Thanks so much.
So you wouldn´t say, the edea chorus or risport rf3 pro are too stiff given the very low weigth of my daughter?
the bump on the achilles tendon might be a hagelunds injury...
the shape of the foot is duck like and very low or no arch...

bladewise i think we would go for mk professional.

we could travel to Berlin at some point

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
If she has Haglund's deformity, it means her boots don't suit her foot shape. I don't know why but every instance of Haglund's I've heard of was caused by Edea boots. Just so you know, those bumps are going to get bigger and bigger until she gets better fitting boots- and the bigger the bumps get, the harder it will be for her boots to fit correctly.

Edea is also meant for high arches, so they sound like a poor fit for her.

Also you know Wifa is a brand that has mutliple models of boots? Just like every other brand. They don't sell only one soft boot. I see 11 different models on their website. Go to a professional fitter and see what they say.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
She was always against that boot, she wants all kids to wear the Wifa boots, but we don´t like the boot and the quality.
Don't listen to her. If a boot doesn't work, don't wear it.

This is definitely a strange request. Most coaches/trainers would rather the student wear a boot that actually fits them, so they can actually learn/do stuff. They wouldn't force a student to wear a boot that doesn't fit, it's counterproductive for both them and the student.

mumof3

Spectator
Yes, the problem is, no fitter so far has looked at her foot shape AT ALL. only lenghts, what skills she has and how often she trains. thats it. i have no idea, if she´s got even wide feet or not.
All i can say, she skated one season in Risport rf3 pro as a relative beginnner, and this, her 2nd season, was in Edeas. The deformity just showed up now at the end of the season. Before she had some issues with pain in the middle foot bones.
We are absolutely not set on any specific brand.
I am just worried, if she goes down to a soft boot now (esp. trying Axel every day) that she might injure herself.

Thanks for your opinion and time :)

mumof3

Spectator
If she has Haglund's deformity, it means her boots don't suit her foot shape. I don't know why but every instance of Haglund's I've heard of was caused by Edea boots. Just so you know, those bumps are going to get bigger and bigger until she gets better fitting boots- and the bigger the bumps get, the harder it will be for her boots to fit correctly.

Edea is also meant for high arches, so they sound like a poor fit for her.

Also you know Wifa is a brand that has mutliple models of boots? Just like every other brand. They don't sell only one soft boot. I see 11 different models on their website. Go to a professional fitter and see what they say.
do you happen to know, if Risport works for lower arches?

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, the problem is, no fitter so far has looked at her foot shape AT ALL. only lenghts, what skills she has and how often she trains. thats it. i have no idea, if she´s got even wide feet or not.
All i can say, she skated one season in Risport rf3 pro as a relative beginnner, and this, her 2nd season, was in Edeas. The deformity just showed up now at the end of the season. Before she had some issues with pain in the middle foot bones.
We are absolutely not set on any specific brand.
I am just worried, if she goes down to a soft boot now (esp. trying Axel every day) that she might injure herself.

Thanks for your opinion and time :)
That's what we're here for.

I'd recommend going to the fitter that Ic3Rabbit suggested as soon as possible. They should be able to sort some of this stuff out and help you figure out what works. The longer you wait, the worse these problems will get.

Also, depending on where you are in Germany, it might be closer to go to another fitter somewhere else. If that's the case, we can help find you a place that's closer. But again, I have no idea where you are in Germany.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Would it be easier/make more sense to go to Austria or Switzerland or even France?
That area is very hard to find decent figure skate pro fitters in, most are fitting hockey. Hence why I sent OP to Berlin.

@mumof3 I'm going to go against something another poster said above. Edea are NOT just for high arches. I have very high arches and edea did not work for me. Most I know that wear Edea have mid-range to lower arches. Also, I would not have kept her in Risport if it would not work for her possibly. It's going to work better than Edea at this point. Also, look into the other brands I suggested as they may work way better. I know Graf is great for low to almost no arches.

Last edited:

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
That area is very hard to find decent figure skate pro fitters in, most are fitting hockey. Hence why I sent OP to Berlin.
Sorry, I wasn't sure. OP just seemed hesitant to go to Berlin, so I was saying that if it would be easier to travel elsewhere, perhaps you or someone else could recommend a fitter there. But, obviously, if there aren't any good fitters there, it doesn't make sense.

Minz

Medalist
Country
United-States
OP, you told me that you have been going to the place linked below but that you'd like to go elsewhere.

I'm not exactly sure what the actual expertise of this place is, but if you don't feel comfortable going there, then don't. I'd highly recommend going to the place that Ic3Rabbit suggested as soon as you can, so that you guys can get this sorted out and so your daughter can get into the correct/appropriate boots.

Last edited:

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
we´re south, but berlin works i guess
are you by chance in Bavaria? I am, and have been meaning to post about skate fitters near to us. The shop where I am hasn’t impressed me, I am not planning to get fit there.

Friday

Rinkside
Austria maybe, but the train to Berlin is quite fast
we´re south, but berlin works i guess
Try out the figure skating Shop in St. Pölten in Austria, if it is possible.
They only sell figure skates, have all mayor brands (Jackson, Risport, Edea, Wifa, Graf and Riedell) and I heard from another person that this is the go to place for skaters in Austria and some in Germany, because the shop owner is very knowledgeable.
This is their website.

Friday

Rinkside
are you by chance in Bavaria? I am, and have been meaning to post about skate fitters near to us. The shop where I am hasn’t impressed me, I am not planning to get fit there.
I think they are, the shop they mentioned is the one in Munich. I wasn't impressed with them either, they sharpened my old blades once and kinda flattened the edges at the tail of my blade...

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I think they are, the shop they mentioned is the one in Munich. I wasn't impressed with them either, they sharpened my old blades once and kinda flattened the edges at the tail of my blade...
I'm in Munich, are you? I haven't been impressed by sharpening the place mentioned above did for my skates either. But to be fair, I am skating on an 18-20 year old pair that I pulled out of storage and have hated these blades (Jackson Legacy) since about 30 seconds after I got them, and they are a bit rusty from storage.
Try out the figure skating Shop in St. Pölten in Austria, if it is possible.
They only sell figure skates, have all mayor brands (Jackson, Risport, Edea, Wifa, Graf and Riedell) and I heard from another person that this is the go to place for skaters in Austria and some in Germany, because the shop owner is very knowledgeable.
This is their website.
This was where I was thinking of going. Have you gone there? I'm in Jacksons now, but don't know if they're still the right fit for me, and have had issues with my feet, so I want a good fitter. Debating there or Berlin. Both are about the same distance from me.