Sergei Voronov | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Sergei Voronov

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
There's actually a pretty cool Japanese database where you can see all sort of information on skaters, including the success rates of different jumps (it's right there at the bottom of the page, if you click on the "+" next to a jump, you see the specific scores)
Here's Voronov: http://skatedb.net/modules/skateDB/index.php?page=player&playerid=371
Kovtun: http://skatedb.net/modules/skateDB/index.php?page=player&playerid=800

Doesn't cover the old results, so no complete entries for Plushenko and Yagudin.
Thank you! +/-GOE is more like it. Looking at the stats... Does anyone know why Sergei doesn't do 3Lz in the SP? He has quite a good success rate on it according to the database (even though it's not the be-all-and-end-all--e.g. pops, but still).

I'm with you. Guess we're all alone. :eek:: (but choreographers keep putting them in, so others must like them too...right?)
Others = COP. That blasted thing is worth levels. Points. :hopelessness:

borzaya

Final Flight
Looks like it's broadcasted online now - but my internet is lousy and slow at the moment, I can't listen :bang:

I hope it will be archived.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Looks like it's broadcasted online now - but my internet is lousy and slow at the moment, I can't listen :bang:

I hope it will be archived.

You can watch the entire thing from the start using the "play" button - but I don't know how long they keep it up for, hopefully at least for a day or two. Maybe I can figure out a way to save it, or someone else will save it on VK. I'm particularly curious about the part where he talks about Plushenko.

edit - I went back through their calendar and it looks like they do keep the videos up for quite awhile - so no rush :)

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
You can watch the entire thing from the start using the "play" button - but I don't know how long they keep it up for, hopefully at least for a day or two. Maybe I can figure out a way to save it, or someone else will save it on VK. I'm particularly curious about the part where he talks about Plushenko.

edit - I went back through their calendar and it looks like they do keep the videos up for quite awhile - so no rush :)

I've found a download button (of the audio version) there, I'm downloading it already. :)

Last edited:

borzaya

Final Flight
I have listened to the interview, I'll try to make a brief translation when I have time... now I'm too sleepy, it's late night here.

borzaya

Final Flight
Well, the main cliff notes.

Sergei was asked which of his medals is the dearest for him, he said that all of them are equally dear, as each of them costs a lot of labour, etc.

After Euros Sergei took a six days holiday, he said that he really needed it, to recuperate. He went to Sochi to have a rest. After that, when he got back to training, he had to change the blades of his skates, as he had skated for three years on those blades. He was asked if it's as difficult as to get used to new skates. He said that he had some discomfort at first, as he had got used to the previous blades, but of course it is not as hard as to get used to the new skates (boots and all).

He was asked if it's difficult for him to get used to other time zones and if he will come to Shanghai in advance to get used to the time difference. The interviewers mentioned their own experience when they went to Canada and nobody could sleep properly. Sergei said that it's easier for athletes because they are already used to changing different time zones, and that he prefers to come to the city where the competitions are going to take place about two days before the competitions, he sees no point in coming earlier.

The interviewer mentioned that Sergei didn't look in his top form at the Euros, that he looked sort of tired, and asked, maybe it's because he was planning to be in top form for the Worlds, and the Euros were not so important? Sergei strongly disagreed and said that it's no way he could see Euros as an unimportant competition; and besides, any competition is important for an athlete, and that is the aim for which skaters train, for which they endure this routine work.

But he agreed that he was exhausted at that time, and admitted that it's more likely that he had missed with the timing of the top form, it came a bit earlier than the Euros, and when there were Euros, his form was beginning to decrease.

He was asked about the second K&C thing. Sergei said that it's the first time that he sees such a thing in figure skating, but agreed that it's an interesting idea, it must be interesting to the audience, though admitted that it was not easy to sit there waiting for the final results.

Then he was asked if he in general watches the performances and the scores of his rivals at competitions, on the screens etc. He said that he doesn't do it on purpose, but still it keeps catching his eye, so he often sees it. But before his own performance he tries not to know the scores of the previous competitor, so not to be distracted by it, but to concentrate on his own performance.

The interviewer asked him what he thought about the words of Plushenko, that he looks at the present-day single skaters and sees that they do nothing too special (personally, I'm not sure if Plushenko had said something like that, but that was how the interviewer put it). Sergei said that, of course, Plushenko could judge from his experience, and maybe he sees it like that, but in general the figure skating is constantly changing nowadays and it's hard to predict in what way it would develop. The interviewer also noted that, in fact, nowadays we very rarely see clean performances, and maybe skaters have lost this quality and stability, pursuing the more and more complex elements. Sergei agreed that in general fs has become more complex, that in the past everything could depend, for example, on quads, if a skater did them, he hardly needed anything else, and now it's necessary to do everything, spins, sequences and so on, for good levels. The interviewer asked why then skaters claim to do hard elements, multiple quads, if they anyway can't cope with them at competitions, and Sergei said that sports implies taking the risk, and some skaters and their teams prefer to risk, others prefer to play safe, it's up to every skater and their coach.

The interviewer mentioned that Sergei looks different on the ice than he used to be before, that he now seems more relaxed and it can be seen that now he enjoys what he is doing. They were asking what happened in his life to cause this change. Sergei said that, to some extent, it's due to age and to the life experience, that now he perceives many things differently - and, of course, his coming to the group of Eteri has changed him a lot. He couldn't even find words to explain (though the interviewers were very curious) how exactly she had managed to change him like that, he said only that she is "cool and great", and that she has a talent of a good persuader. Besides, his family were also helping him a lot to believe in himself.

He told the story that it was Tarasova who gave him advice to go to Eteri's group.

He was asked if he is treated somehow differently, given that he is a grown-up, and all the other Eteri's students are juniors and kids. He said that they all train together, in a same group, and Eteri treats them all equally, and is equally strict to everyone. He also said that he is grateful to the juniors with whom he trains in the same group, because with them he feels himself younger, too.

He said many good words about Javi, that he is a very good and nice guy, and that at the Euros (not clear, which of them) Javi said to him "I'm happy that we share the same podium". And when Javi won his third gold at the Euros, Sergei also congratulated him and told him that he fully deserved it.

Concerning his chances of getting to the Sochi Olympics, Sergei had decided to take it calmly - he had done all that he could that season, and if he had been chosen for it, then good, if not, then so it was destined to be.

The question was sent from the audience if the thinks it's difficult for a new generation of skaters, to cope with all the attention of fans, of social media, when they are constantly watched, even spied upon, different stuff is written about them in the media, sometimes false stuff. Sergei said that it depends on a person, everybody feels different, he can put it aside, some people don't like it and are annoyed, others are able not to give much thinking to it, etc.

Sergei has a girlfriend, she usually comes with him to all competitions.

There was a question if skaters get good money. Sergei said that now they get rather decent stipends, but of course it can't be compared with soccer or hockey players, it's absolutely different level, and as for earning in the shows, it's also necessary to win something and to achieve a lot at first, in order to be invited to them.

There was a question, that there are a lot of talented girls at the moment, and whether he sees, training side by side with juniors, any promising boys. He said that there are a lot of talented skaters among the juniors of both gender, and the only thing that he could wish is, that they grew up successfully, without any injuries, and that their parents or coaches didn't press them too much, because some kids can just be broken by constant pressure. He added that the system is already rather rigid, and if a young athlete doesn't give the necessary result, they lose stipend, lose the possibility to take part in competitions, and if a grown-up athlete can understand such kind of situation, but when he was a junior this looked like the end of the world, and he can guess how hard it must be for other young skaters, because these children just don't know any other life, don't see anything apart from figure skating.

He was asked whom (not necessarily from the world of sports) he could name as "the teacher of life", Sergei gave it some thought and finally said that the most accurate answer would be that it's life itself, his life experience, because anyway any person learns first of all on their own actions, their own mistakes, etc.

He was asked what he'd like to do after he retires, and Sergei said that it's really interesting for him to comment, that he enjoys it, and when he is invited to comment, he always tries to do it as good as he can.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks for the translation. He's a great guy, and the grit it takes to stick around as long as he has and keep improving is something really special.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
borzaya - thank you SO much! :bow: That was so thorough. He always has nice things to say about other skaters and he has a good sense of self-awareness. All around just a very charming man, and I wish more people could appreciate his skating, but I guess in this transitions-mad era, his style isn't really in fashion (at least on GS).

I didn't know he had done commentary before - I think he would be very good at it. While I hardly know much Russian, his voice is pleasant to listen to and maybe by the time he retires, I will be able to understand more than 10% or so. :laugh:

I don't remember Plushy saying anything like that, either - on the contrary, I've heard him praise the Japanese men for the way they have pushed the sport forward, and we all know what a Yuzuru fanboy he is.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Thanks to paulusfr for posting this interview with Eteri in Adian's thread. She talks a lot about Sergei and mentions he had knee trouble and missed a week of practice before Euros - first I've heard about that. But it would explain a lot. I know he's a very dark horse for the podium, and I don't expect it, really (the judges are not going to be generous with his PCS, I know) - but I do expect him to skate relatively clean and I think he can definitely be in the top 5. I just need the Russian men to get those 3 spots for next year & I'll be (relatively) happy.

edit - another short interview with Sergei:

http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/788506

Sigh, I hope he can relax and forget the nonsense in the press...

Last edited: