Shoma Uno | Page 625 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

rabidline

Final Flight
Inspired from the Japanese Ladies thread at the main forum, as the year is ending, let's do our 2018 favorites for Shoma! Since it's for the year, the Olympics and 4CC are also included if you want to add to it.

Go wild with your answers, if you want to link specific moments, be my guest as well. If you want to add a category, please do! (I want to fill it later XD) Let's make this as fun as possible.

(Idea credit to yume @ Japanese Ladies thread, also Interspectator who inspired it @ Japanese Men's thread. I made some adjustments.)

1) Your favorite performance of Shoma in 2018

2) Your favorite program of Shoma in 2018

3) Your favorite on-ice moment in 2018

4) Your favorite off-ice moment in 2018

5) Your favorite costume of Shoma in 2018

6) The most surprising moment/event in 2018

7) The happiest moment/event in 2018

8) The saddest moment/event in 2018

9) The softest moment/event in 2018

10) The moment/event in 2018 you are most proud of Shoma

11) The moment/event in 2018 you are most thankful for

12) Your wish for Shoma in 2019

rabidline

Final Flight
Filling this takes longer than I thought...

I have no idea how to choose from the get go! I tried choosing the three that my heart treasures the most.

- Turandot at Worlds, it truly brought me to no turning back territory as a Shoma fan. I still cry whenever I watch the 4T2T from that performance and the roar of the audience as he landed both jumps. It's crazy how that Turandot, even with all its mistakes, makes me feel. I didn't even know figure skating can make me feel like that.

- Moonlight Sonata at Skate Canada, the first glimpse for me of how hauntingly sublime the program can be, and just how well Mihoko and Shoma work together. Especially very rewarding after being so stressed after the fall on Stairway.

- See You Again at Disney on Ice. Some things doesn't need words to explain them.

Time After Time.

I hate choosing favorite programs because I think all of them have their own charms, so this really came down to a very personal music soft spot. I love old-school, big band jazz. David Wilson is one of the choreographers I think Shoma responds particularly well to his style (no surprise, since David did some work in Japan with Yamada-sensei when he was younger) and I really like what he created for Shoma in TAT, in terms of bladework, choreo and mood-building. When the commentators at CBC just lose themselves in praising Shoma's skating skills in this program... big mood. TAT hits the right balance of sultry and earnest in my heart, mature but still age-appropriately light. I think the program is very Shoma-esque (both have the ability to be sexy and naive at the same time!) but it also gives Shoma something new to work on: how to deal with the varying rhythms and off-beats, how to hold his positions in the true jazz way, and well. How to be smooth~

As for the mood of this program... I have no idea how a program can bring to mind the image of sipping your drink (or cassis orange) after hours in a bar, with dimmed lights, catching the eyes of the man/woman across the room~ but it really did. The costume also grew on me, the sparkly lines that moves with Shoma, the red tie, and the all-black outfit that really shows off his lines (and those curves)... I can go on and on about this program and its packaging. It's just so well-done.

Also TAT has not been skated to its full power yet, but watching the program grew in its execution from PIW --> Heroes&Future --> SC Gala --> GPF Gala.... blessed.

Shoma's full blown smile during his Olympic Turandot Cantilever. I have the magazines to record that forever in print. The guts poses in Nationals as well, knowing how important they are to him.

My favorite non-competition but still on-ice moments is all the collaborations Shoma did in the summer ice shows. Four Seasons with Stephane, and the number he did at The Ice with Alina, Nathan and Boyang... here's to more of them in the future!

Shoko-chan (it's technically on-ice, but whatever). I remember the day of the reveal, everyone was going crazy from the fan reports. And then the photos dropped online... Also knowing Shoma had fun with it with his fellow skaters is just delightful.

Pool!Shoma and Baseball!Shoma too, special thanks to Kotaro:
https://mobile.twitter.com/lovekeaton0831/status/1035475312258113536

https://mobile.twitter.com/lovekeaton0831/status/999935198610448384
https://mobile.twitter.com/lovekeaton0831/status/999963478994505734

Purple Winter, as well as White and Blue Moonlight Sonata.

Shoma nailing that free throw at the Alvark game on his first try XD Probably the release of Itsuki's book! I didn't think to get so much content so soon, in a very heartwarming way.

Every time Shoma's happy and satisfied with his performances. Olympics and Nationals stood out the most from this year.

From a fan perspective, I was really happy when his new programs were rolled out one by one this year- seeing Shoma do all different styles of music is such a pleasure. I feel really lucky to watch a lot of programs from Shoma this year. Having four different programs all in rotation was not what I expected at all.

Worlds 2018... not quite 'sad' as much as it was heartbreaking to see him deal with it. Shoma fought his way out and came through like a champion, but I hated seeing him in pain physically and emotionally.

Post-GPF was also quite a dark time. The mistakes that piled up and the way Shoma keeps apologizing for not being able to meet the expectations and letting us down. I know that it's part of the process, but I was really worried that he would lose the confidence he has built. Nationals lifted the atmosphere up a bit but knowing the sprain afterwards makes it a tough victory to enjoy.

Off-ice, it's this entire video, thanks KISS&CRY magazine: https://youtu.be/oSHj10w-ewY

On-ice, it's a moment in Moonlight Sonata after Shoma finished his back-to-back spins. He turns to look at the audience with a very soft expression, before looking down and doing a single twirl/spin that is so delicate, I always die a little from its softness.

Special mention to Itsuki's twitter for constant sharing of soft moments.

Changing his goal from "Attack!!!" to "Believe!". It's still in process and he's had some hurdles, but I'm really proud of how honest he is in dealing with it because changing a mindset takes a lot of strength. Ganba Shoma!

Olympics 2018 for letting me find Shoma and for Worlds 2018 letting me know I'll love him no matter what. Also the existence of Shoma's family and team who are always there to warmly support Shoma.

Recover well, stay healthy and injury-free. Satisfying and clean performances. Continue improving and trying new things, and having fun in the process. Always be surrounded by people who love him and he loves. Last but not least, a lot of good Niku!

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Vimeo has deleted all of my videos :( , so send me a PM if you'd like a temporary download link for the GPF Gala.

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
Thanks, rabidline, love the idea!
I tried to keep it short but I didn’t have much success

It’s absolutely impossible not to make a list. From the top of my head:
-Pyeongchang FS and Team Event SP - to overcome the pressure and do that...
-Worlds FS - let’s say I’ve never felt what I felt about this before
-4CC FS
-Nationals SP+FS
-Skate Canada FS - I think for me it remains the closest to perfection MS even with the falls

Stairway to Heaven - potential masterpiece imo, I have high hopes for it, still waiting to see it really shine, Nationals version was very promising

*for EX I’ll say GreSpi - mind-blowing, great choreo, a really different Shoma

I’m cheating but I’ll say every time Shoma ended his performance smiling or doing a guts pose. It gets me every time.

Shoko-chan if we consider this off-ice + Shoma&Rook interactions, I want to see them together again

Blue Moonlight Sonata

At Worlds seeing Shoma continuing to be first until the last skater after giving up any medal hope, it was such a strange day. For a moment I thought he might win it lol I was so shocked after watching the last group and even more impressed with how Shoma, despite the falls managed to keep it together and come back strong in the second half. Warrior heart

Olympic Silver Medal

Worlds in Milan because he was crying and in pain. Somehow I was sad and happy for him at the same time. Very bittersweet competition

This season when he kept apologizing for letting us down

The clips with him playing volleyball with Demi-san and Kazuki

The penguin walk to the podium at Nationals

The Sleeping Beauty photo

When he said that he realized it’s time to step out of his comfort zone and start putting pressure on himself and learn to deal with it

All the off-season shows, same reason, he started to accept more being in the spotlight

Olympics last season and Nationals this season for giving him confidence

I wish him to be healthy, it’s the most important. And to become world champion. There, I said it

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great idea rabidline, although I had no idea how difficult it was going to be. I had to narrow it down from about five things in each category to (usually) one. There was so much to enjoy and love during the year!

His GPF Gala performance of TAT where the broadcasters were gushing “This kid is putting on a Master Class in skating skills.” “I could watch this all day.”

While not perfect, his Moonlight Shomata at Sk Can had already improved so much, even since Lombardia. It was exciting to realize the potential the program had (and still has).

Favorite FUN moment was the kakkoii yell at 4CC along with his smile. https://twitter.com/weishiun1014/status/957770280675434496 The GPF one wasn’t too bad either. Favorite SKATING moment was when Sho and Stephane did their twizzles together during their “Winter” collaboration. Their hugs weren’t too bad either! https://youtu.be/aLICgYjZG9Y?t=216

Adding -- Oh my gosh, how could I forget the Sho zipspin? That and the fact that right before he did TAT in the gala at Sk Can, he checked to be sure everything was properly closed! :laugh:

The Rook interactions were so much fun! They still bring a smile to my face. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2a/32/60/2a32606d7ef78c5ebfef621dacce9ab5.png Bonus: When Rook’s headpiece fell off a few days later and we realized Rook was a woman! :laugh2: :rofl:
I loved any time we were able to hear Shoma speak English.

The red Lombardia STH costume, although I like all of this year’s minimalist style costumes. They’re a nice change from the super fancy ones.

How Sho held it together during and after his FS at Worlds, despite being in pain and being hugely disappointed.

Fluffy and Sho in the Kiss and Cry at the Olys after the FS, with her hugging him and crying when she realizes he had won the silver medal…Happiest personal moment(s), being able to attend Sk Can and the GPF.

The fuss that was made about the Great Spirit program after hours and hours of work were dedicated to make it an entertaining, fun program. Will it ever be seen outside of Japan?

The medal ceremony at NHK and (in general) all the love Shomita received from the audience, including the moment when they put the crown on him. https://www.instagram.com/p/BqzMMeEhf8N/ A very close second would be when he waddled out to the Nats podium in his gym shoes.

When he brought his Oly medal to Glacier to show to Alex. It made me so proud that he remembered to share his success with the people who helped him, knowing that was his idea – not his mom’s nor his team’s. The smiles in those photos were so genuine and joyful.

(a private moment I’d rather not share)

As always – continued health, happiness, success, and the ability to move people’s hearts.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Happy New Year to all the DBC members :dbana: here in Shoma's FF! :ghug:

Happy New Year to dear Shoma! My New Year wish for him is that he heals his injury
and that 2019 will be a fruitful and happy year for him! :cheer:

jerrymouse333

On the Ice
Country
Japan
A happy new year everyone, from the Far East.:dance3::dance3:
Thank you rabidline for a nice project.
Nice questions but difficult to answer.

It’s very difficult.
CaOI Stairway to heaven 〜 Turandot

Great Spirit

He could be an Olympic silver medalist.

Shoko-chan (← this is on-ice actually)

Turandot costume

Interviews after Olympic game FS.
I was surprised that he said, “I laughed after I fell first jump (4Lo) because I wouldn’t get a gold medal, and I could concentrate.”
And he didn’t notice the medal ceremony later.

Japan Nationals SP, FS, and lovely podium with Dai and KG

Milan Worlds
It was like a roller coaster.
I think it was a big trouble for him, but he could get more strong.

NHK Trophy olive crown Shoma.

Japan Nationals
A lot of cold sweats, tears of joy, and happy smiles.

I really wanted to say thank you to Itsuki to have read his book.
I could know how Shoma grew up and his episodes when he was a child.

I hope him to keep healthy and feel happy when he skates, and be a world champion in Saitama.
:cheer::cheer:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Happy new year to all of you guys and to Shoma :ghug::luv17:

CaOI Stairway to heaven (the one in the purple)
Turandot 4CC
Moonlight sonata Nationals

Moonlight sonata

when he threw his fist in happiness after nationals SP

volleyball with Demi San
the basketball game
shokochan

ALL OF THEM. They are all gorgeous and he is gorgeous. We are blessed (but purple winter maybe)

shoko chan? maybe and also him skating with his tits out

olympics

that he was robbed gold at 4CC
GPF was quite sad too, how distraught and self-deprecating he was

the olive crown he was so embarassed it was SO CUTE
when he is with Nathan in general
the suit modeling for that magazine when he was doing the QnA and laughed
the nats press conference when he said he wanted Dai to keep skating

worlds. I was dying.

i am thankful for wonderful people that provide a lot of content on Shoma
i'm thankful for shoma who provides such emotions for me

to win all the things and perform his best and be happy :love:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For #11, I probably should have written how thankful I am to Itsuki for having started a Twitter account! How fortunate we are that he shares little "snippets" of things that are going on in Shoma's day-to-day life! New Year's Day and already he's blessing us with content! :love:

Happy New Year to everyone. Here's to another year of the joy of following the Prince! Looking forward to lots of performances of STH and Moonlight Shomata.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Happy New Year everyone!

Thanks for welcoming me to DBC this year and let's hope to enjoy another great year of Shoma's skating in 2019!

Time After Time at the GPF gala - he seemed so happy and carefree!

Stairway to Heaven, nationals

Every ice show that he has done. Shoma, what is your favourite move? Cantilever. Oh, that's too fa-!
Also zipping up during a spin was pretty Shoma of him!

Shoma with Kazuki presenting Satoko with a 20th birthday cake after worlds

Purple winter (team OWG), because I don't think everyone can pull off the feathers look like he can.

Shoma recently admitting that he feels pressure to do well

After SP ended at nationals, I hope we get to see some more of that emotion/joy in future :luv17:

Post-GPF and every other time Shoma has felt the need to apologise to figure skating fans

PyeongChang gala practice - featuring Misha Ge guiding him around on the ice

Milan free skate. Not giving up!

Shoma continuing to skate at nationals and then committing to let his injury heal :pray:

For Shoma to be fully healthy and happy, everything else will follow! :)

biryanione

On the Ice
Inspired from the Japanese Ladies thread at the main forum, as the year is ending, let's do our 2018 favorites for Shoma! Since it's for the year, the Olympics and 4CC are also included if you want to add to it.
Great idea, thank you rabidline, and all others who thought of this. …I have no time (This is so, every year, from the crazy December straight into an avalanche of obligations in the New Year) but I possibly try after, maybe an abridged one? 😅 (Even if July…) Amen, to loving him no matter what, rabidline! And the costume looks so good on him (How does he do it - because if I had seen the costume in a store I would not notice)
(your 3)
My favorite non-competition but still on-ice moments is all the collaborations Shoma did in the summer ice shows. Four Seasons with Stephane,

Yess!

your 6) The most surprising moment/event in 2018
Shoma nailing that free throw at the Alvark game on his first try

:rofl:)

biryanione

On the Ice
His GPF Gala performance of TAT where the broadcasters were gushing “This kid is putting on a Master Class in skating skills.” “I could watch this all day.”

Thank you so much, Arriba! for mentioning this, 😀

biryanione

On the Ice

Every ice show that he has done. Shoma, what is your favourite move? Cantilever. Oh, that's too fa-!
Also zipping up during a spin was pretty Shoma of him!

:rofl:

When he’s running and the woman is running after saying “ Oh!!! that’s TOO fast!”?

Hronop

On the Ice
Happy new year folks! I hope new year brings more patients. Let Shomatitis kill this world! :laugh:
Here's my post that I wrote on Shoma's birthday, and now had a chance to translate into English (just scroll down for English translation). Enjoy Shoma's games!

biryanione

On the Ice
Happy new year folks! I hope new year brings more patients. Let Shomatitis kill this world! :laugh:
Here's my post that I wrote on Shoma's birthday, and now had a chance to translate into English (just scroll down for English translation). Enjoy Shoma's games!

This was so much fun, did you translate everything?