Shoma Uno | Page 1140 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe Shoma had an off night with the pressure of being in first going into the free, knowing he was trying for a third title, knowing Kaori had already won her third title which would make him REALLY want to get his third too, knowing that his program was extremely challenging even on a perfect day. How about Dancing On My Own? Could he have come out and skated that program perfectly c!ean? Perhaps a program that's slightly less challenging but nonetheless a great vehicle.for.showing off his great skating skills. Strategize, strategize, strategize. More quads does not necessarily equate to a better program and a higher BV. He will never be able to out quad a natural jumper. That is just not who he is as a skater.

Maybe he's ready for another David Wilson program where he dances more...Just watched his short again. Wow. I should write down the NBC comments if people haven't heard them. Johnny said he thinks Sho's SP is the best short of the season.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wait I’m still confused about number 2. Shoma might have thought the crowds shocked reaction was because of him (Shoma himself)?
That, or he was shocked at the sheer amount of shocked gasps coming out of the crowd (myself included). This shock at the amount of shock might actually be the most likely possibility. 😅 He could have been shocked at that components score too. Ugh, that's just like me, isn't it, jumping to the worst possible conclusion and not considering enough other potential conclusions...*sigh*

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
That, or he was shocked at the sheer amount of shocked gasps coming out of the crowd (myself included). This shock at the amount of shock might actually be the most likely possibility. 😅 He could have been shocked at that components score too. Ugh, that's just like me, isn't it, jumping to the worst possible conclusion and not considering enough other potential conclusions...*sigh*
I honestly don't think Shoma had a shocked reaction because of the crowd to Lukas's scores.. the real problem was that he wasn't able to land anything in the warm up.. and not just land anything but his timing was off. I wish he had stopped trying in vain because the more he was trying, the worse it was getting. I wish he had just done a double axel and skated away.

I saw other skaters have terrible warm-ups (Deanna and Max, R/R) but they sort of let it go and refocused for their performance.

I wish I could given him a giant hug and a "you can do this!" shout. His SP was incredible. ShoMasterpiece !

I am glad I saw him skate live again... and that the gala was great too. I will never watch this LP ever again. It doesn't matter : there are so many amazing Shoma programs out there. Let's not forget that Shoma has been on the circuit forever.
He has 4 world medals and 3 olympic medals, and last year, he won every event he entered.

I don't think retirement is an option for me ;) Maybe it is for Shoma... but not for me ;) So I am cheering for him to get to his 3rd Olympics and win two more medals there !

rabidline

Final Flight
I'm also pretty sure it's an off night, and well, it's not just in skating, but in sports there comes a time in an athlete's career where it's not that simple to shake off an off day/night. I know both Deanna/Max and Ryuichi are older than Shoma but he's been competing at the top of the sport longer than all of them, so I'm not surprised that he's in a different place than they are.

When you really think about it, Shoma's off night was only in the FS at Cup of China and Worlds this season, which is understandable. It sucks that it had to come in the biggest competition in the season, but it is what it is.

Also, Stephane spoke about what he told Shoma after Worlds FS in his fanmeeting:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was so nervous, I'm sure I never heard Lukas' scores! And I was afraid to look at the protocols to see if the 4-2 instead of the 4-3 made the difference in winning the bronze or not. I have seen him many times where he had horrible practices and/or horrible 6 minute warm ups and then came out and skated great. His Sat. practice was good! Just couldn't bring it when it counted. Regardless, he is still SHOMAJESTY!!!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No time to lament. They're all already on to the next item of business -- Stars On Ice. Tomorrow already?!?! I'm still exhausted from Worlds!!! :biggrin:. Adding -- I wondered what he would skate for SOI. Not Come Together? Looks like the Sholero moves, now that I watched it again.

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Reliving the amazing Come Together one more time. At first.when he skated this in ice shows, I wasn't too.enamoured of the costume. It does look good on the ice though. Love the way he throws his whole body into his.performance. Is this a "Don't count me out yet!" performance?

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No time to lament. They're all already on to the next item of business -- Stars On Ice. Tomorrow already?!?! I'm still exhausted from Worlds!!! :biggrin:. Adding -- I wondered what he would skate for SOI. Not Come Together? Looks like the Sholero moves, now that I watched it again.

Sholero moves...😍 You have no idea how many photos of Sholero moves I took in Las Vegas and Montpellier, lol!

Seriously though, I was thinking that Shoma could possibly skate to some JPop or an anime soundtrack, or even choose his own piece of music to skate to next season in order to rekindle his competitive fire. I wonder if this experience of skating to JPop could help him continue if he wants to do so.

Edit: That being said, I think some type of significant change is necessary in order for Shoma to continue with no regrets. Perhaps he could work with a different choreographer or skate to a completely different style of music. I for one would like to see him skate to Middle Eastern music, but I am aware that that is a hot take. 😅

Last edited:

rabidline

Final Flight
Edit: That being said, I think some type of significant change is necessary in order for Shoma to continue with no regrets. Perhaps he could work with a different choreographer or skate to a completely different style of music. I for one would like to see him skate to Middle Eastern music, but I am aware that that is a hot take. 😅
But he has few regrets already at the moment, though 😊

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looks like Sho used the blue Sholero costume for SOI. Is the black costume still in Montreal?
I was thinking he'd use the blue/blue-green costume too! I figured it might take some time for all those precious costumes to be shipped back to Japan. I also recall noticing that the right shoulder (i.e. his left shoulder, if he were wearing it) of the black costume looked a little scuffed. Perhaps I finally have my answer about why it wasn't used in Montpellier... Regardless, the blue/blue-green version is a costume many fans (including myself) remember fondly. 😊

rabidline

Final Flight
Shoma skated Bolero for the first day of Stars on Ice: Osaka and Come Together for the second day. And he's also a part of a cute collaboration number with Japanese skaters skating to Que Sera Sera by Mrs. Green Apple 🥰

Some photos. The blue Bolero remains very majestic, while short sleeved Shoma made an appearance in the collaboration!

Next stop Yokohama, after a week's rest. It's definitely a less grueling schedule than last year's Stars on Ice.

rabidline

Final Flight
Also Shoma and Jun had a talk session during the second day (in addition to their joint interview that's printed on Stars on Ice 2024 pamphlet).

A bit of what they said from Chaosice4 Twitter / X, who was there:

Also finale photos in the Come Together costume!

Last edited:

Figskater23

Final Flight
Shoma skated Bolero for the first day of Stars on Ice: Osaka and Come Together for the second day. And he's also a part of a cute collaboration number with Japanese skaters skating to Que Sera Sera by Mrs. Green Apple 🥰

Some photos. The blue Bolero remains very majestic, while short sleeved Shoma made an appearance in the collaboration!

Next stop Yokohama, after a week's rest. It's definitely a less grueling schedule than last year's Stars on Ice.

Who is Mrs. Green Apple?

yuumagical

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who is Mrs. Green Apple?
Mrs. Green Apple is the name of a JPop band! (An odd name, but not as bad of a name for a JPop band as Creepy Nuts, imo 😅) Honestly, I only know this band exists because their song "Dancehall" was played during skater introductions at Worlds in Saitama last year! 😂 Thanks for unintentionally helping me bring back a good memory! 😊

Figskater23

Final Flight
This popped up on my Twitter / X timeline... a throwback to Cup of China backstage where Shoma greeted (and is greeted by) Kensuke Nakaniwa, Rinka Watanabe's coach (they were on the same GP assignment). What a battle... of politeness 😁

Indeed. A battle of the bows.

Figskater23

Final Flight
Mrs. Green Apple is the name of a JPop band! (An odd name, but not as bad of a name for a JPop band as Creepy Nuts, imo 😅) Honestly, I only know this band exists because their song "Dancehall" was played during skater introductions at Worlds in Saitama last year! 😂 Thanks for unintentionally helping me bring back a good memory! 😊

There is a JPop band called Creepy Nuts?! Oh my 🤭 The only song I know from a skating performance that I’m not sure is JPop is “Starting Now” which I think was at the Japan SOI 2021. You’re welcome.