Should Alina Zagitova change coaches? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should Alina Zagitova change coaches?

charizard88

Spectator
I feel like Alina will not leave Eteri's group no matter how much the fans want her too. And I think honestly, most of the fans just want to see Eteri fail and see another student of hers leave even if it doesn't make sense. There are a few factors why Alina will not leave her group.
1. I think she's a very loyal person and she stands by the people who have always stood by her and even gave her a second chance.
2. She has no reason to be upset at Eteri's group: Where's that gif of Alina where she says "Of course I'm happy, I have won everything." Because that's the reality, she has won every major juniors or seniors title (Olympics, Worlds, GPF, Europeans, JGPF, etc). Sure, she can always aim to win worlds again or defend her Olympic championship but unlike the others who have regrets in their career she HAS won it all.
3. The people she's closest too coaching wise are still there: Obviously, I don't know for certain but it seems like her and Daniil are very close friends and she gets along well Eteri. So even though we might want new choreo for her, she might like her choreo just fine and if she wants to make changes I'm sure as she gets older she can always discuss with her coaches what SHE wants. She wanted Carmen for awhile and eventually Eteri said it was time.
4. If she really wants to be competitive and learn 3A, quads etc. I think Eteri is quite motivated to teach them to her. Now of course who knows if Alina can learn them but I think Eteri can figure out how to teach them to someone who has an adult body.
So, basically she gains nothing by leaving (unless she truly wants to of course) and everything by staying. If she doesn't truly want to be back she can rest on her laurels and retire without retiring. If she still has that fire to compete then I think she 99% will stay with Eteri. Eteri coached her to glory and I just see Alina being loyal and sticking with them. No bad press, she already gets hate from others in the skating world and I don't think she gains much by souring her relationship to Sambo70 and Tutberidze.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The most likely way Alina can be driven enough to develop a quad is by sticking with Tutberidze. But if her skating goals change a la Medvedeva I think she could try others.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
The most likely way Alina can be driven enough to develop a quad is by sticking with Tutberidze. But if her skating goals change a la Medvedeva I think she could try others.

The goal is always the same: to stay competitive as long as they do competitive skating.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I guess it‘s because people have a different perception of what “medaling“ means. It‘s factually correct that Alina got a small medal for the SP but at the same time, I don‘t blame people who, when talking about medaling, only count the “overall“ medals, as it‘s less confusing.

2018 World Medalists are Kaetlyn Osmond, Wakaba Higuchi and Satoko Miyahara. Alina and Carolina got small medals for one component of the competition but ultimately, they were beaten.

Similar how, at 2019 Worlds, the medalists are Alina Zagitova, Elizabet Tursynbaeva and Evgenia Medvedeva. Kaori and Rika got small medals for the SP and FS respectively, yet I‘ve never seen someone insist so forcefully that they “medaled at Worlds“. Small medals are certainly a great achievement but I think it‘s also logical that media and fans will mostly focus on the eventual podium finishers.

Also, I‘ve been watching this whole discussion unfold over several threads and I‘m still confused.

“Should“ Alina Zagitova change coaches/retire?

If she wants to, yes. If not, no. Let the girl live. It‘s her life and her decision. The only thing she should do is what makes her happy.

Thank you for sort of agreeing with me. ;) So if I say Alina got a medal at 2018 World and I say Rika did not medal at 2019 worlds that would be a contradiction of sorts since both girls got small medals for the short program.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I feel like Alina will not leave Eteri's group no matter how much the fans want her too. And I think honestly, most of the fans just want to see Eteri fail and see another student of hers leave even if it doesn't make sense. There are a few factors why Alina will not leave her group.
1. I think she's a very loyal person and she stands by the people who have always stood by her and even gave her a second chance.
2. She has no reason to be upset at Eteri's group: Where's that gif of Alina where she says "Of course I'm happy, I have won everything." Because that's the reality, she has won every major juniors or seniors title (Olympics, Worlds, GPF, Europeans, JGPF, etc). Sure, she can always aim to win worlds again or defend her Olympic championship but unlike the others who have regrets in their career she HAS won it all.
3. The people she's closest too coaching wise are still there: Obviously, I don't know for certain but it seems like her and Daniil are very close friends and she gets along well Eteri. So even though we might want new choreo for her, she might like her choreo just fine and if she wants to make changes I'm sure as she gets older she can always discuss with her coaches what SHE wants. She wanted Carmen for awhile and eventually Eteri said it was time.
4. If she really wants to be competitive and learn 3A, quads etc. I think Eteri is quite motivated to teach them to her. Now of course who knows if Alina can learn them but I think Eteri can figure out how to teach them to someone who has an adult body.
So, basically she gains nothing by leaving (unless she truly wants to of course) and everything by staying. If she doesn't truly want to be back she can rest on her laurels and retire without retiring. If she still has that fire to compete then I think she 99% will stay with Eteri. Eteri coached her to glory and I just see Alina being loyal and sticking with them. No bad press, she already gets hate from others in the skating world and I don't think she gains much by souring her relationship to Sambo70 and Tutberidze.
This is the best and most reasonable post I’ve read on this topic. Alina Will not leave Eteri for another coach for the reasons you explained.