Should Alina Zagitova change coaches? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should Alina Zagitova change coaches?

Scott512

Record Breaker
I agree as of right now I don't see any indication that Zagitova is going to leave Eteri, but then again I don't remember too many people thinking that Medvedeva was going to leaving Eteri either and she left.

The difference is eEvgenia had been coached by EG for like 11 years and through one Olympic cycle. Zhenya lost the Olympic gold by a hair to her younger teammate. She was ready for change whether people realized it or not. Zhenya moved halfway around the world to train in another country and live in another country. I don't think Alina would do that.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I think that yes Team Tutberidze has helped Alina a lot, but I think that if she wants (IF that is what makes her happy) to continue to be competitive then I think it is time for her to give Eteri flowers and depart.

I still want to know who the coach that would make her "to be competitive again" should be. Really, who else than Eteri herself is able to make a skater "competitive" against Aliona, Anna or Sasha. I'm sorry but the whole world is failing so far with the task to challenge top Eteri skaters. Repeatedly.

starlight97

Final Flight
No she should not and will not.

She will do 1-2 more seasons under Eteri, maybe win a bronce at some event and then retire for good before or after not being sent to the 2022 Olympics.
That's the realistic outlook.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I think it would be a good move if she did find another coach. It would give her a fresh perspective and a new start. But, I don’t see her changing coaches. I think she has an Olympic gold and whether she wins another competition again, it doesn’t matter. It’s true that she isn’t competitive with the top 3 Russian ladies, and if Tukt gets her quad consistent then I don’t see her competitive with her either. Not to mention Rika, You, and the fact that Alina was beaten by Bradie and Bell beat her in the LP. Alina has her work cut out for her.
BUT, based on what we’ve seen in the past, Eteri has always been able to motivate Alina in ways that she understands Alina’s thought process. Alina wanted to stop skating several times and Eteri was able to redirect that. I remember reports of her taking Alina on a long train ride before either GPF or Nationals and the big drama of whether Alina would compete or not. She understands Alina’s mental health and the struggles she has suffered with pressure. If anyone can get Alina to focus and not rest on her laurels, it’s Eteri. I don’t see Alina leaving that comfort zone.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I think it would be a good move if she did find another coach. It would give her a fresh perspective and a new start. But, I don’t see her changing coaches. I think she has an Olympic gold and whether she wins another competition again, it doesn’t matter. It’s true that she isn’t competitive with the top 3 Russian ladies, and if Tukt gets her quad consistent then I don’t see her competitive with her either. Not to mention Rika, You, and the fact that Alina was beaten by Bradie and Bell beat her in the LP. Alina has her work cut out for her.
BUT, based on what we’ve seen in the past, Eteri has always been able to motivate Alina in ways that she understands Alina’s thought process. Alina wanted to stop skating several times and Eteri was able to redirect that. I remember reports of her taking Alina on a long train ride before either GPF or Nationals and the big drama of whether Alina would compete or not. She understands Alina’s mental health and the struggles she has suffered with pressure. If anyone can get Alina to focus and not rest on her laurels, it’s Eteri. I don’t see Alina leaving that comfort zone.

:rolleye:
Alina once lost to Bradie, purely because the lack of motivation, and we will hear about it for years as a decesive thing about her faith, probably. Alina defeated Bradie many times and if Bradie would follow similar "good advices", she would've probably thrown her skates into the Lake Placid years before, because "she was defeated" and that probably means she can't win ever again".

As for Rika, Rika still didn't achieve Alina's top scores. You is still "big unknown", but even her best performances didn't overcome Alina. Liza - I've said it several times, I like the people who give her the benefit of gaining stable quad, but somehow that's impossible for Alina. Though, if you put one 4S into Liza's programs, Alina's "average good" performance still overcomes that even without a quad.

I also wonder why Alina would need a "new start". Once again, I remind that e.g. Kaori's best score last season was 202 points. Alina's worst score was 205 points from the competition she didn't even want to attend. Why people don't talk about a new start for Kaori and many other distinguished skaters whose current best performances are still below Alina's worst scores, but Alina is repeatedly the one "who may retire", "who should make a new start" etc. etc. :yawn:

Scott512

Record Breaker
:rolleye:
Alina once lost to Bradie, purely because the lack of motivation, and we will hear about it for years as a decesive thing about her faith, probably. Alina defeated Bradie many times and if Bradie would follow similar "good advices", she would've probably thrown her skates into the Lake Placid years before, because "she was defeated" and that probably means she can't win ever again".

As for Rika, Rika still didn't achieve Alina's top scores. You is still "big unknown", but even her best performances didn't overcome Alina. Liza - I've said it several times, I like the people who give her the benefit of gaining stable quad, but somehow that's impossible for Alina. Though, if you put one 4S into Liza's programs, Alina's "average good" performance still overcomes that even without a quad.

I also wonder why Alina would need a "new start". Once again, I remind that e.g. Kaori's best score last season was 202 points. Alina's worst score was 205 points from the competition she didn't even want to attend. Why people don't talk about a new start for Kaori and many other distinguished skaters whose current best performances are still below Alina's worst scores, but Alina is repeatedly the one "who may retire", "who should make a new start" etc. etc. :yawn:
Yep.

Rika didnt do much last season after bombing worlds at home. She didn’t even make the podium at Grand Prix final which she won the year before. Maybe this is why she is changing coaches or adding coaches or whatever she did. Trust me Rika as good as she is and as adorable and likable as she is is feeling the pressure of the great Russian girls. That’s why she made this coaching change. She needs to change things up. It may work. We shall see.

Trust me Alina does not sweat skaters she has achieved more than. Hopefully Alina stays at the top and contends for medals at every event she enters. But if she doesn’t that’s OK too.

Thrashergurl

On the Ice
I’m not sure why you took such an issue with my comment/opinion. Bradie did beat Alina. It’s an official competition result that can’t be changed. Maybe you disagree with the result, but it happened. Maybe Alina wasn’t motivated, but it’s still an official result. And where in my comment did I state Alina can’t win ever again? Please show me where I said that 🙄

And, after last season, Alina herself admitted she needed a fresh start. She took some much needed time off. Perhaps you are taking things here a little too personally.

Kaori wasn’t mentioned by me at all, so perhaps you are targeting the wrong poster with your attempts to bring her down, but I certainly didn’t mention her at all. I, for one, hope she has a good season. She seems like a very nice person and a hard working athlete.

Back to Alina- as I previously posted...no, I don’t see her leaving Eteri.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Alina wanted to quit right after the Olympics and I’m glad that Eteri convinced her to continue. Alina medailed in each event except the national in her second year and the gpf in her third year. Eteri believes in Alina and it’s because Alina is still able to skate at a top level.

So I don’t see Alina leaving her mentor, they are like a family

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Alina wanted to quit right after the Olympics and I’m glad that Eteri convinced her to continue. Alina medailed in each event except the national in her second year and the gpf in her third year. Eteri believes in Alina and it’s because Alina is still able to skate at a top level.

Gurl, don’t open the pandora box, people are already running to let you know your comment is full of lies, because she didn’t medal at worlds 2018 (technically, she did though) xD

voolfee

On the Ice
I feel Alina will not be able to leave. There are probably lot "secrets" and dirt that would be flung on her the minute she left. All the tales of her being lazy and daring to gain 1 kilo and how she is hard to deal with.
Eteri did nothing when her sister was throwing crap on Alina about being lazy and blah blah blah. If she left, Eteri and the whole team would be at the dung cannon, ready to tear down the image of so humble OG medalist. I think they'd pull a dirt even about Masaru.

Your negativity to Alina and Eteri's team crosses all borders, it's just ridiculous. :palmf: Alina remains in Eteri’s team not because she can get dirt after, but because she likes it and believes that there she can show her best result. There are no secrets and dirt, Alina is what she is. And no lies can change Alina’s very high reputation among the fans.

No she should not and will not.

She will do 1-2 more seasons under Eteri, maybe win a bronce at some event and then retire for good before or after not being sent to the 2022 Olympics.
That's the realistic outlook.

I think that Alina will continue to please herself and all the fans of figure skating with her excellent skating many years and will win more and more fans and sponsors. :agree:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
If she is happy about her current state and the coaches are realistic on what she can and cannot achieve now, what are the long term goals, then i don't see the reason for her to change.

I hope she will not be forced to retire, or to train quads as if it is the only way to stay competitive, there is an in-between the quad flip she was training last season and the watered down free program she had this season.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Exacticly! 👍

Scott512

Record Breaker
Gurl, don’t open the pandora box, people are already running to let you know your comment is full of lies, because she didn’t medal at worlds 2018 (technically, she did though) xD
It’s a well known fact that Alina earned a silver medal at 2018 worlds for her short program. How can people forget her sterling silver short program?

Fluture

Record Breaker
It’s a well known fact that Alina earned a silver medal at 2018 worlds for her short program. How can people forget her sterling silver short program?

I guess it‘s because people have a different perception of what “medaling“ means. It‘s factually correct that Alina got a small medal for the SP but at the same time, I don‘t blame people who, when talking about medaling, only count the “overall“ medals, as it‘s less confusing.

2018 World Medalists are Kaetlyn Osmond, Wakaba Higuchi and Satoko Miyahara. Alina and Carolina got small medals for one component of the competition but ultimately, they were beaten.

Similar how, at 2019 Worlds, the medalists are Alina Zagitova, Elizabet Tursynbaeva and Evgenia Medvedeva. Kaori and Rika got small medals for the SP and FS respectively, yet I‘ve never seen someone insist so forcefully that they “medaled at Worlds“. Small medals are certainly a great achievement but I think it‘s also logical that media and fans will mostly focus on the eventual podium finishers.

Also, I‘ve been watching this whole discussion unfold over several threads and I‘m still confused.

“Should“ Alina Zagitova change coaches/retire?

If she wants to, yes. If not, no. Let the girl live. It‘s her life and her decision. The only thing she should do is what makes her happy.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
I still think Alina will not leave Eteri. If she wanted to leave, I could see her going to Raf, maybe Mie Hamada, but that’s about it.

On the subject of her losing to other skaters - I think it’s reasonable to say that everyone has peaks and valleys, but the focus should not be on WHO beat Alina, it should be on WHY they beat her. And the answer to that is Alina’s nerves, frustration, lack of motivation, and issues with technique when under pressure in competition.

The break she took was definitely needed. Although some argue that her technique, coaching situation, and choreography need to be changed (which is a valid argument IMO), all she probably does need is rejuvenation and motivation to work herself back into good skating form and confident mental form.

JazzUp

#янехомяк!
Medalist
the focus should not be on WHO beat Alina, it should be on WHY they beat her.

Exactly. When Sofya beat Alina at Euros, even Mishin said later "...Sonya won the championship, but did not surpass Alina..."

Warwick360

Medalist
Definitely not this coming season, IF this season does happen.

She'll be the Tursynbaeva of the season for Eteri just so she can make a point. But in the long run, IF she still wants to skate, yes, I hope she jumps ship. But I don't see why she'd want to keep doing competitions since she's achieve pretty much everything possible.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Alina should switch if she wants to ie. she feels she has a reason to. She should stay with Eteri if she wants to.

Either way, leaving Eteri isn't going to magically remove Anna/Alena/Kamila's quads and 3As. Or give her them. Yes the competition is tough in that camp, but it's tough for all the ladies in Russia. And AFAIK no skater has monopoly over a coach so it won't guarantee that she doesn't have competition. Just look at the previous skaters that left: Polina left for Buyanova who had Maria and Nastia. Evgenia left for Brian who now also has Rika. And Sasha left for Plushenko/Rozanov who also has Zhilina who can jump quads and 3As.

Moving coaches is a good idea if things aren't working out with the current coach or a skater feels that they can gain something from the move. But a reduction in competition is not a rational or realistic reason, imo, as the skaters have no say in that area. Every individual skater can only control what they do, not what everyone else does. And if the standard is now that you need a quad or 3A to make Russian world/olympic teams, and that's what Alina wants, she needs to get those elements and not depend on others losing theirs. And whatever coaching decision Alina makes should be based on that if it's what she wants.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Alina should switch if she wants to ie. she feels she has a reason to. She should stay with Eteri if she wants to.

Either way, leaving Eteri isn't going to magically remove Anna/Alena/Kamila's quads and 3As. Or give her them. Yes the competition is tough in that camp, but it's tough for all the ladies in Russia. And AFAIK no skater has monopoly over a coach so it won't guarantee that she doesn't have competition. Just look at the previous skaters that left: Polina left for Buyanova who had Maria and Nastia. Evgenia left for Brian who now also has Rika. And Sasha left for Plushenko/Rozanov who also has Zhilina who can jump quads and 3As.

Moving coaches is a good idea if things aren't working out with the current coach or a skater feels that they can gain something from the move. But a reduction in competition is not a rational or realistic reason, imo, as the skaters have no say in that area. Every individual skater can only control what they do, not what everyone else does. And if the standard is now that you need a quad or 3A to make Russian world/olympic teams, and that's what Alina wants, she needs to get those elements and not depend on others losing theirs. And whatever coaching decision Alina makes should be based on that if it's what she wants.

:clapper: