Signs the boot is Too narrow | Golden Skate

Signs the boot is Too narrow

simi

Spectator
I just got edea piano in 260b. My heel fits perfectly but after having boots on at home for about 10min (just sitting in them) the ball part (soles) started feeling like burning. I laced loosely and even when not laced the “burning” is there. When insoles removed its bit better. It’s like there’s pressure from top more than from sides. Does this mean the boot is too narrow? I haven’t skated in it yet but would the lining relax a bit? I tried 265C and it was way too wide and long and my heel could move around a lot.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just got edea piano in 260b. My heel fits perfectly but after having boots on at home for about 10min (just sitting in them) the ball part (soles) started feeling like burning. I laced loosely and even when not laced the “burning” is there. When insoles removed its bit better. It’s like there’s pressure from top more than from sides. Does this mean the boot is too narrow? I haven’t skated in it yet but would the lining relax a bit? I tried 265C and it was way too wide and long and my heel could move around a lot.
Your toebox is too narrow. Did you get fitted by a pro? (not a hockey shop in the rink). You don't sound like Edea are for you.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
you have another thread on this where i answered you this : Your toebox is too narrow. Did you get fitted by a pro? (not a hockey shop in the rink). You don't sound like Edea are for you. What level are you btw?

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Your toebox is too narrow. Did you get fitted by a pro? (not a hockey shop in the rink). You don't sound like Edea are for you.
@mods can this be moved to their other thread since I answered them here and they've deleted and asked again in new thread since? tia!

simi

Spectator
Yes got fit by a pro who services Olympic guys.. don’t think the problem is there.. today after about 3h in the boot my right foot feels like it is just in the sock, no issues when no soles inserted. But left foot is less so. Should I wait until after few skating sessions before heading to open toe box a bit?
I read elsewhere someone else had snuggled fit in edeas initially only to have them becoming “roomy” later..

tinna

Spectator
Hi,
Ok, I am not an expert, but yes, I have had an overly snug fit in my Edea that lasted for weeks, maybe months, before it became comfortable and then roomy even before the boots broke down.

However, if I recall correctly it, the "burning" feeling was on my arches, not on the toes. Which makes me think that like ic3rabbit said, maybe your toe box is too narrow. Could you have it punched or stretched out? Or cut your losses and sell them and get the 260C?

Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Have you always worn edea? Because it sounds like your arches are too high/wide for your boot, once I know your answer I can offer suggestions.

simi

Spectator
This is my first pair of edea, I switched from Gam which took 2 months to break in only to break them down month later. My arches are medium, not much void on the footprint.my pro told my ball is not wide and is rather regular/narrow. I wear Ferragamos in either regular or narrow width too.
I just came back from the rink.started skating w/o inserts and had no issues. So I put insoles in and my feet went to sleep by the end of session. but nothing like earlier burning sensation. This makes me think there is more vertical pressure than horizontal (from narrow width)?

simi

Spectator
Hi,
Ok, I am not an expert, but yes, I have had an overly snug fit in my Edea that lasted for weeks, maybe months, before it became comfortable and then roomy even before the boots broke down.

However, if I recall correctly it, the "burning" feeling was on my arches, not on the toes. Which makes me think that like ic3rabbit said, maybe your toe box is too narrow. Could you have it punched or stretched out? Or cut your losses and sell them and get the 260C?

Good luck!
Because edea uses different lining/foam compared to others, I wasn’t sure if to just skate more and resort to stretching later if no improvement.

shumaislife

Rinkside
Because edea uses different lining/foam compared to others, I wasn’t sure if to just skate more and resort to stretching later if no improvement.
Whether there is vertical/horizontal pressure... Either way it sounds like the toe box is too small to accommodate your foot volume/arch. Edeas are made similarly to the casts you wear when you break your bones, which is why Edea fittings are best done by fitters who specifically work a lot with shaping and molding Edeas. Unlike leather boots, if you get it vertically stretched, it will decrease the horizontal width. Now this may work out perfectly, but there is a chance that you actually need a 260C and the fitter didn't get you in the right width.

C is the standard width for Edeas, and Edeas tend to run a smidge narrow anyhow in their standard width.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I wear Edea Piano. The first few weeks cause some pain and it usually eases up when the foam begins to match my foot a bit better.

Also, if you were fine without the insert, why did you add it in later?

simi

Spectator
Ok it took about 25h on ice and toe box opening tiny bit and it fits perfect. I was told the burning sensation may be from getting used to higher heel. It’s all gone. Practiced 2.5h today-no issues. I also incorrectly thought I had standard arch. I don’t-I have high one. Added support just in case. I never had arch problems when I was competitive sprinter or walking on high heels all day.
love the boot and happy I went B! Thank you guys for all your suggestions, it did help a lot to ask right questions during follow up fitting!