Skate America Trading Cards | Golden Skate

Skate America Trading Cards

shyne

Final Flight
I'm sure I'm not the only one walking around Main st and collect Skate America Trading Cards~~
Wondering if anyone wants to meet up and trade cards sometime today or tomorrow.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I just got in. I nabbed six more cards from the north half of Main Street. A bit disappointing, really; a lot of shops are closed with no opening hours posted, and the people in the ones that were open didn't seem very welcoming. The only truly friendly person was in the shop that has the Deanna and Nate card, so everyone, go visit that one! I forget the name but it's across from the Northwoods Hotel and a few shops north.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I just got in. I nabbed six more cards from the north half of Main Street. A bit disappointing, really; a lot of shops are closed with no opening hours posted, and the people in the ones that were open didn't seem very welcoming. The only truly friendly person was in the shop that has the Deanna and Nate card, so everyone, go visit that one! I forget the name but it's across from the Northwoods Hotel and a few shops north.

So what do you do? Just go inside and ask? Maybe that's why they are not so welcoming, you're not shopping :laugh:

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So what do you do? Just go inside and ask? Maybe that's why they are not so welcoming, you're not shopping :laugh:

A lot of places have them in a little pile by the door, or at the counter. I tried to go in and look around thoroughly and only collect the card on my way out--I figure it's only polite to at least try to shop! Besides, the stores were interesting. But honestly if I'm window shopping they have no way of knowing that something won't pique my fancy and I'll buy it. That's how window shopping is supposed to work. So if it's already a bad experience from the time I walk in, I'm definitely not motivated to buy something after that...

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A lot of places have them in a little pile by the door, or at the counter. I tried to go in and look around thoroughly and only collect the card on my way out--I figure it's only polite to at least try to shop! Besides, the stores were interesting. But honestly if I'm window shopping they have no way of knowing that something won't pique my fancy and I'll buy it. That's how window shopping is supposed to work. So if it's already a bad experience from the time I walk in, I'm definitely not motivated to buy something after that...

Oh okay. Well I just want SinKats so hopefully that store is friendly.

concorde

Medalist
I thought it was a brilliant marketing concept. Put the cards in stores across town so the visitors will go into many stores they would not normally go in. And if someone buys something, even better!

I found all the merchants to be extremely nice.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I thought it was a brilliant marketing concept. Put the cards in stores across town so the visitors will go into many stores they would not normally go in. And if someone buys something, even better!

I found all the merchants to be extremely nice.
This sounds so fun!

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Glad you guys all had better experiences than I did!! Perhaps I got them before they'd had their coffee ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
ICYMI, apparently some merchants (but not all) are giving away hand-held flags (suitable size for waving in the arena) in addition to the cards.

I think the idea is that if the merchant is giving away a card showing a Russian skater, the merchant might be giving away a Russian flag, for example.

A pleasant woman sitting next to me in the arena had collected fistfuls of assorted flags as she went around collecting cards. She offered me an extra U.S. flag, which I was happy to accept. :)

ETA (in 2018 Jul :laugh:, but for posterity):

A Facebook post (featuring the Parsons :luv17:) that gave the general idea of the promotional offer of trading cards:

https://www.facebook.com/lpskating/posts/1497686473649375

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ICYMI, apparently some merchants (but not all) are giving away hand-held flags (suitable size for waving in the arena) in addition to the cards.

I think the idea is that if the merchant is giving away a card showing a Russian skater, the merchant might be giving away a Russian flag, for example.

A pleasant woman sitting next to me in the arena had collected fistfuls of assorted flags as she went around collecting cards. She offered me an extra U.S. flag, which I was happy to accept. :)

I only have 4 cards, 3 of them Russian and I didn't get a Russian flag :scratch2: Got the Japanese dance team too, no flag.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I only have 4 cards, 3 of them Russian and I didn't get a Russian flag :scratch2: Got the Japanese dance team too, no flag.

I'm not sure how exactly the flag part works ... I think maybe it is necessary to actively inquire whether flags are available??

IIRC, my seatmate had gotten flags at least for Russia, China, Germany, as well as the U.S. Maybe France too? I don't remember one way or the other about Japan.

I should have included a big YMMV in my previous post.

I didn't think to ask my seatmate how she knew in the first place that flags (in addition to cards) possibly would be available and were worth asking about.