Skate Canada 2024 Junior and Senior Sectionals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Skate Canada 2024 Junior and Senior Sectionals

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The CMS is the benchmark Technical Element Score (TES) for the free program that must be met or exceeded in order to enter Challenge. Note, that the CMS is the TES only and does not include bonuses or deductions.

MenWomenPairsIce Dance
Pre-Novice19221515
Novice2627.51918
Junior35.535.52824
Senior44.5403840
Pre-Novice and Novice: The CMS must be met between July 1st of each season and the deadline date for entries to the Skate Canada Challenge.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Normal Quota of Entries​

Selection of entries from Skate Canada Sectionals to Skate Canada Challenge is as follows:

SectionBC/YKAB/NT/NUSKMBONQCNBNSPENL/LAB
Pre-Novice/Novice6 43 3 16 8 3 3 3 3
Junior/Senior 5 3 2 2 15 8 2 2 2 2
The normal quota of entries will be reviewed on a periodic basis.

Each entry that meets the requirements may be selected to represent the Section in the respective Skate Canada Challenge, but the selection of fewer than the normal quota of entries will be at the discretion of the Section Executive.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Just thought it was interesting that there is a quota for each sectional and also a TES minimum score, that must be met, in the free skate, in order to make it to the next qualifying step, the Challenger event.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I started rooting for Damien Bueckert to make it to Nationals, happy to see he made the TES score. Don't think he'll have much competition for those two Saskatchewan spots though. Saskatchewan's the only section that will probably use its full pairs quota though.

I just found out about the Junior/Senior International assignment leading to direct entry to Challenge while looking into Nguyen/Giang. It didn't say if it would affect the quotas though. Patinage Quebec is very helpful though, they posted their list of byes. It looks like they're counting junior internationals as sectional byes for senior domestic 🤔

It looks like they have the quota entries and then the number of expected entries. So senior women it's 8 quota entries and 12 expected entries. I take that to mean direct entry to Challenge doesn't count against the quotas. So that means that in Quebec, they have 27 women registered for senior women. 3 of them have byes to Challenge, one has a bye to Nationals. That's 23 women competing for 8 Challenge spots.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
From Skate Canada's Control of Competitons:

It says assigned to the GP, not compete on the GP. For Senior International, Golden Spin of Zagreb falls within the seven days of Challenge, so he could get a bye that way if the GP assignment doesn't count. Roman planned this part of the season around competing on the Grand Prix, so it wouldn't be fair to him to take away that bye in my opinion. I'd rather skaters feel free to withdraw rather than worsen injuries in order to keep byes.

Which leads to...

Roman has the highest PB of the men competing this year and has placed twelth at Worlds previously. Right now he's the most experienced of the men. If his GP bye doesn't count and he doesn't get Zagreb, Skate Canada will very likely give him a medical bye for Nationals since they need him skating at his best.

(I got bored one day and read up about byes, that's what I do for fun, ha ha)
There are also byes for competitors who finished 1-3 at the previous national championship or previous 3 World Championships or previous Olympics. Unfortunately, Roman didn't do well at nationals last year, so doesn't qualify for one of these. Reference: same document as in above post.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I like to think that they realized Ted would end up having to commentate Nationals without any results if they didn't change back. Hopefully they realize it's not too late to start entering skaters into every senior/junior B they can find too!

Skate Ontario published the final sectional rankings. Gabby still has the highest score for Senior Women from the August and October sectionals in Ontario. They have 14 women listed here, and the schedule looks like they have 14 entries for senior women.

Start orders for Quebec are now up.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They're going back to the 2022-23 scoring software!

I was wondering why Skate Ontario is having delays posting entry lists for Junior/Senior for next week's sectionals. None of the other sections posted their starting orders with the new software either, now I know why.
Sigh… don’t they learn. There are systems out there that work for other countries. Just use something similar. Use a scoring software that works.

I have low expectations with Skate Ontario Sectionals

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I like to think that they realized Ted would end up having to commentate Nationals without any results if they didn't change back. Hopefully they realize it's not too late to start entering skaters into every senior/junior B they can find too!

Skate Ontario published the final sectional rankings. Gabby still has the highest score for Senior Women from the August and October sectionals in Ontario. They have 14 women listed here, and the schedule looks like they have 14 entries for senior women.

Thanks so much for the updates!!

I hope Gabby stays on. The Olympic Gold Medalist is still on top…

Is Hetty competing in Seniors? I thought they used their JGP scores. It would be nice to see her there. I guess Amanda Tobin retired🥹; she used to win these regional events.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

For Quebec, Edward has MD? What does that mean?

The ladies events are the most interesting as those are the events where athletes are eliminated. It will be interesting to see how Rose goes against Justine, Audreane and Sara-Maude (if she doesn’t WD). I’m looking forward to Gabby Izzy in pairs.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Is Hetty competing in Seniors? I thought they used their JGP scores. It would be nice to see her there. I guess Amanda Tobin retired🥹; she used to win these regional events.
She's on the sectional tracking for Seniors, but should have a bye to Challenge thanks to her JGP assignment going by how Patinage Quebec lists Rose Theroux as Senior but with a bye for Challenge.

I think Beres Clements must have retired too, he's not on the BC/YT entry list.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
For Quebec, Edward has MD? What does that mean?

The ladies events are the most interesting as those are the events where athletes are eliminated. It will be interesting to see how Rose goes against Justine, Audreane and Sara-Maude (if she doesn’t WD). I’m looking forward to Gabby Izzy in pairs.
I think MD may be for medical bye? And women should be the most interesting for sure! Quebec is going to be hard.

I started working on a post to figure out all the sectional times for Alberta/Ontario/Quebec for next week. November 2 and 3 went fine since Ontario and Alberta were fairly simple.

Quebec is pre-novice/novice for those days, but they have the junior/senior events in two rinks on November 4/5. At least Quebec and Ontario senior pairs won't overlap (15 minutes for Senior Pairs free in Ontario, should be Bombardier/Farand since the other two teams have byes to Nationals)

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Since Alberta, Ontario and Quebec are overlapping for sectionals next week, I went through the schedules for the disciplines people may be most interested in watching. I'm including the start times in MT and ET since they're the time zones the competitions are happening in. It'll be MT first, then ET. Start times should be chronological. If there are no competitions that I thought would be of interest (ie pre-novice), they're not included.

Senior Synchro is included since it'll be the debuts for Nexxice, Nova and Les Supremes. Nexxice will also be competing as Elite 12.

Please check the schedules to be sure, I did my best with the times.

November 2nd

OntarioJunior Men Short8:50 AM MT/10:50 AM ET
OntarioSenior Men Short9:55 AM MT/11:55 AM ET
OntarioJunior Women Short11:10 AM MT/1:10 PM ET
OntarioSenior Women Short4:50 PM MT/6:50 PM ET
AlbertaSenior Men Short6:40 PM MT/8:40 PM ET
AlbertaSenior Women's Short8:35 PM MT/10:35 PM ET

November 3rd

OntarioJunior Men Free7:45 AM MT/9:45 AM ET
OntarioSenior Men Free8:55 AM MT/10:55 AM ET
OntarioJunior Women Free10:15 AM MT/12:15 PM ET
AlbertaSenior Men Free2:10 PM MT/4:10 PM ET
AlbertaSenior Women Free4:20 PM MT/6:20 PM ET
OntarioSenior Women Free4:25 PM MT/6:25 PM ET
AlbertaJunior Dance RD7:25 PM MT/9:25 PM ET
AlbertaJunior Pairs Short8:40 PM MT/10:40 PM ET

November 4

Quebec Glace 2Junior Women Short8:40 AM MT/10:40 AM ET
OntarioSenior Dance RD9:10 AM MT/11:10 AM ET
OntarioJunior Dance RD9:50 AM MT/11:50 AM ET
OntarioJunior Pairs Short11:05 AM MT/1:05 PM ET
OntarioSenior Pairs Short11:35 AM MT/1:35 PM ET
OntarioSenior Synchro Short12:50 PM MT/2:50 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Junior Dance RD1:55 PM MT/3:55 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Dance RD2:30 PM MT/4:30 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Women Short3:05 PM MT/5:05 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Junior Pairs Short3:45 PM MT/5:45 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Senior Pairs Short4:10 PM MT/6:10 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Junior Men Short5:50 PM MT/7:50 PM ET
AlbertaJunior Dance Free6:40 PM MT/8:40 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Senior Men Short6:45 PM MT/8:45 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Synchro Short6:20 PM MT/8:20 PM ET
AlbertaJunior Pairs Free8:40 PM MT/10:40 PM ET

November 5

Quebec Glace 2Junior Pairs Free7:00 AM MT/9:00 AM ET
Quebec Glace 2Senior Pairs Free7:30 AM MT/9:30 AM ET
OntarioSenior Dance Free7:50 AM MT/9:50 AM ET
OntarioJunior Dance Free8:00 AM MT/10:00 AM ET
Quebec Glace 2Junior Women Free8:25 AM MT/10:25 AM ET
Quebec Glace 1Junior Dance Free8:40 AM MT/10:40 AM ET
OntarioJunior Pairs Free9:20 AM MT/11:20 AM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Dance Free9:25 AM MT/11:25 AM ET
OntarioSenior Pair Free9:50 AM MT/11:50 AM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Women Free10:40 AM MT/12:30 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Junior Men Free1:15 PM MT/3:15 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Senior Men Free2:20 PM MT/4:20 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Synchro Free2:30 PM MT/4:30 PM ET

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Since Alberta, Ontario and Quebec are overlapping for sectionals next week, I went through the schedules for the disciplines people may be most interested in watching. I'm including the start times in MT and ET since they're the time zones the competitions are happening in. It'll be MT first, then ET. Start times should be chronological. If there are no competitions that I thought would be of interest (ie pre-novice), they're not included.

Senior Synchro is included since it'll be the debuts for Nexxice, Nova and Les Supremes. Nexxice will also be competing as Elite 12.

Please check the schedules to be sure, I did my best with the times.

November 2nd

OntarioJunior Men Short8:50 AM MT/10:50 AM ET
OntarioSenior Men Short9:55 AM MT/11:55 AM ET
OntarioJunior Women Short11:10 AM MT/1:10 PM ET
OntarioSenior Women Short5:05 PM MT/7:05 PM ET
AlbertaSenior Men Short6:40 PM MT/8:40 PM ET
AlbertaSenior Women's Short8:35 PM MT/10:35 PM ET

November 3rd

OntarioJunior Men Free7:45 AM MT/9:45 AM ET
OntarioSenior Men Free8:55 AM MT/10:55 AM ET
OntarioJunior Women Free10:15 AM MT/12:15 PM ET
AlbertaSenior Men Free2:10 PM MT/4:10 PM ET
AlbertaSenior Women Free4:20 PM MT/6:20 PM ET
OntarioSenior Women Free4:45 PM MT/6:45 PM ET
AlbertaJunior Dance RD7:25 PM MT/9:25 PM ET
AlbertaJunior Pairs Short8:40 PM MT/10:40 PM ET

November 4

Quebec Glace 2Junior Women Short8:40 AM MT/10:40 AM ET
OntarioSenior Dance RD9:10 AM MT/11:10 AM ET
OntarioJunior Dance RD9:50 AM MT/11:50 AM ET
OntarioJunior Pairs Short11:05 AM MT/1:05 PM ET
OntarioSenior Pairs Short11:35 AM MT/1:35 PM ET
OntarioSenior Synchro Short12:45 PM MT/2:45 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Junior Dance RD1:55 PM MT/3:55 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Dance RD2:30 PM MT/4:30 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Women Short3:05 PM MT/5:05 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Junior Pairs Short3:45 PM MT/5:45 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Senior Pairs Short4:10 PM MT/6:10 PM ET
OntarioSenior Synchro Free4:50 PM MT/6:50 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Junior Men Short5:50 PM MT/7:50 PM ET
AlbertaJunior Dance Free6:40 PM MT/8:40 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Senior Men Short6:45 PM MT/8:45 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Synchro Short6:50 PM MT/8:50 PM ET
AlbertaJunior Pairs Free8:40 PM MT/10:40 PM ET

November 5

Quebec Glace 2Junior Pairs Free7:00 AM MT/9:00 AM ET
Quebec Glace 2Senior Pairs Free7:30 AM MT/9:30 AM ET
OntarioSenior Dance Free7:50 AM MT/9:50 AM ET
OntarioJunior Dance Free8:00 AM MT/10:00 AM ET
Quebec Glace 2Junior Women Free8:25 AM MT/10:25 AM ET
Quebec Glace 1Junior Dance Free8:40 AM MT/10:40 AM ET
OntarioJunior Pairs Free9:20 AM MT/11:20 AM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Dance Free9:25 AM MT/11:25 AM ET
OntarioSenior Pair Free9:50 AM MT/11:50 AM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Women Free10:40 AM MT/12:30 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Junior Men Free1:15 PM MT/3:15 PM ET
Quebec Glace 2Senior Men Free2:20 PM MT/4:20 PM ET
Quebec Glace 1Senior Synchro Free3:00 PM MT/5:00 PM ET
Thanks so much!! 😍

I will print this schedule out and try to watch as much of this competition as possible

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Thanks so much!! 😍

I will print this schedule out and try to watch as much of this competition as possible
Gosh... i am busy this and next weekend... all the skating I will miss is incredible. But archives :) I count on you for letting me know what to watch from sectionals.