Starting Out? | Golden Skate

Starting Out?

ziggybun

Spectator
Hi y'all
My university has free rink access for students and I've been really into ice skating but I was getting tired of using rentals. I go skating for 2-4 hours every week. I'm not planning on doing lessons or anything more than just skating with friends for another 2ish years because being an equestrian is draining my money lol. It's just fun, social time while getting some movement for right now. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 155-160lbs. I got fitted at a pro shop and they suggested I go with the Jackson Elles or Classiques(they happened to have one in my size??) with a Mirage Blade. But some of my figure skating friends said I should get the Debuts but spending almost $400 plus blades for a hobby rn is a little steep for me. Would the Elles be ok for my skating needs right now? I can move up when I actually take lessons if needed.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi y'all
My university has free rink access for students and I've been really into ice skating but I was getting tired of using rentals. I go skating for 2-4 hours every week. I'm not planning on doing lessons or anything more than just skating with friends for another 2ish years because being an equestrian is draining my money lol. It's just fun, social time while getting some movement for right now. I'm 5'7" and weigh about 155-160lbs. I got fitted at a pro shop and they suggested I go with the Jackson Elles or Classiques(they happened to have one in my size??) with a Mirage Blade. But some of my figure skating friends said I should get the Debuts but spending almost $400 plus blades for a hobby rn is a little steep for me. Would the Elles be ok for my skating needs right now? I can move up when I actually take lessons if needed.
With your height and weight stats, I see why your friends suggested the Debut. But if you're not serious about the sport right now, just go with the Freestyle boot/blade combo.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
What @Ic3Rabbit said! Elles would be a total waste of money. Debut plus Coronation Ace would be my normal recommendation (if Jackson are what fit you best) but if skating is really "just a fun and social hobby right now", then Freestyle with its attached blade is your best bet.