Tailgate party | Golden Skate

Tailgate party

A.H.Black

Final Flight
For anyone interested, there will be a home football game at the University of Utah (San Jose) on the same weekend as the US International. Skaters and fans will be able to enjoy the tailgate party right outside the rink. Parking will be at a premium. Plan to come early and stay put.

I'm looking forward to seeing new, great programs from great skaters. It makes such a difference when I see them live - first - rather than on TV.

Dear Nathan - Please come home for September.

Last edited by a moderator:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I'm looking forward to seeing new, great programs from great skaters. It makes such a difference when I see them live - first - rather than on TV. ...

AHB, my SLC questions are unrelated to the tailgating, but they do not belong in the Entries thread, so I will put them here.

The combination of your many positive/helpful posts over the years + this year's Team USA entry list really had gotten me thinking seriously about possibly splurging on a trip to the US Classic.
(Liam Firus and some other international entries published today have added to my interest.)

My questions:

I am wondering whether the typical down-to-earth (in a good way) nature of the event might fall by the wayside because of Marin Honda's presence this year.
(Please don't get me wrong: I do like watching her skating on my computer screen. But for me, she would not be one of the reasons that I would pay for a plane ticket to SLC.)

Marin is so popular both in Japan and worldwide that I do not know whether there is any danger of an over-the-top media/spectator circus (approaching Hanyu-esque proportions) this year for the first time.
I even am feeling uncertain as to whether Marin fever could cause tickets to sell out this year for the first time -- with the risk that I could be left empty-handed with no ticket.

In the coming days, if you happen to hear anything one way or the other regarding these kinds of questions, I hope that you will keep us posted. Many thanks.​

(According to the website, tickets per usual will be available only on site at the venue. No possibility of pre-purchase.

Even if I could feel certain of getting a ticket for the event, I am not sure I would be willing to get on a plane if the SLC audience is likely to be dominated by Marin-worshippers.

Lest anyone wonder: I am not trying to criticize or blame Marin for anything. Just trying to get a sense of what effect she [through no fault of her own] might have.)

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Here's my General Information post for this year.

- This is a low key competition and that's on purpose. Tickets are sold at the door. We pay less for this competition than we do for regionals. I think the price was $30.00 last year for an all-event pass (there is a senior citizens discount). In September the weather is usually lovely - cool nights and warm days (80's). We have had rain from time to time but it's not serious. It's a great time to drive up the canyons and see the leaves.

- Steiner (the local name for the complex/rink) serves the community and the University of Utah with a pool (which will still be uncovered) gym, dance studio, etc. There are 2 rinks next to each other. You go up the stairs and enter from the top (there is an elevator) and then walk down to the seats. This is the reason it looks so empty on the Ice Network stream - most people are at the top. You can look into the practice rink through glass at the top of the larger rink. The larger rink seats about 1500 (maybe 2000). The practice rink has 3-4 rows for spectators at the top - maybe seats 100-200. Steiner was the practice rink for figure skating during the 2002 Olympics.

- The seats are bleachers. They get hard. Last year I brought one of those padded cushions you tie to a wooden kitchen chair. It helped a lot. Also, the rink is quite cold. We go outside to get warm.

- There is a refreshment stand. Not bad. Standard food. They do make a good hot chocolate.

- You can walk laps around the top of the rink for exercise. There used to be a little plaque that said it was 7 laps to a mile but we can't find it anymore. Sometimes they block off one end of the rink (during competition) but we haven't had any problem during the off times.

- We have heard there is more interest from the media this year. This is Nathan Chen's home rink. He learned to skate here. I'm sure there will be more attention paid to him by local media. I hope they don't get in the way.

- To answer Ice Coverage's question - I really don't think there will be a problem. In the past we have had Miyahara (twice), Uno, Mura, Murikami (he and she). I sort of remember seeing a few Asian fans, but not many and certainly not enough to make a difference. I have seen no evidence at all that more are expected. I have seen a copy of the volunteer sign-up schedule and there is no indication that they are asking for more volunteers. This just isn't like the Autumn Classic.

- Football Game. The University of Utah (wear red) plays San Jose State at 8:00 pm (probably right during Ladies Free) on Saturday the 16th. The stadium is right down the block from the rink and the tail gate party is right outside the door of the rink. It's wild and noisy and fun.

- Parking. There is plenty of parking for the complex. The only problem will be on Saturday for the football game/tailgate party (as mentioned above). The complex does have parking of its own and that will be reserved for the rink/complex but the whole area will be crazy for a while and you may need to get in, get parked and stay put.

- There is public transportation (TRAX) that stops a short half mile away. The area is a bit hilly but it's not a bad walk. Keep in mind that blocks are long in Salt Lake City - 8 blocks to a mile - and streets are wide.

If I missed anything, just ask. I'll do my best.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here's my General Information post for this year. ...

Thanks for all the great information, AHB.

Glad that you got your wish for Nathan to come home :cool:.

Thank you in particular for your reassuring answer to my question about Marin.
I have gotten the impression elsewhere that she often tends to generate a lot more media/spectator interest (for whatever reason) than other very well-liked and well-respected Japanese skaters. Not as much as Hanyu, but more than others.
So I am glad to hear from you that this year in SLC is expected to be as low-key as ever.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... - This is a low key competition and that's on purpose. Tickets are sold at the door. We pay less for this competition than we do for regionals. I think the price was $30.00 last year for an all-event pass (there is a senior citizens discount). ...

Ticket prices for this year now have been added to the event website. Still very reasonable :):

Ticket Prices:
All-Event Package - $40

Thursday Day Pass - $15
Friday Day Pass - $15
Saturday Day Pass - $15
Sunday Day Pass - $10
Seniors Discount - $5 off ticket prices
Kids under 5 - FREE

The same page has this *tentative* schedule:

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
Please note this schedule is tentative and subject to change.

Wednesday, September 13, 2017
(Times subject to change)

Afternoon
2:20 p.m. - Senior Men's Practice (3 groups)
4:50 p.m. - Senior Pairs Practice (3 groups)

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Afternoon
1:00 p.m. - Senior Dance Practice (2 groups)
2:40 p.m. - Senior Ladies Practice (2 groups)

Evening
4:30 p.m. - Senior Pairs Short Program
6:30 p.m. - Senior Men's Short Program

Friday, September 2017

Afternoon
1:20 p.m. - Senior Dance Short Dance
3:00 p.m. - Senior Ladies Short Program

Evening
4:50 p.m. - Senior Pairs Free Skate
7:00 p.m. - Senior Men's Free Skate
AWARDS - Pairs & Men

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Late Afternoon
4:30 p.m. - Senior Dance Free Dance

Evening
6:30 p.m. - Senior Ladies Free Skate
AWARDS - Dance & Ladies

http://www.usfigureskatingclassic.com/info

A.H.Black

Final Flight
One more thing, because someone asked. Our memory is this is cash only. We remember that our friend couldn't get in one year because she only had plastic. It may have changed since then.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
One more thing, because someone asked. Our memory is this is cash only. We remember that our friend couldn't get in one year because she only had plastic. It may have changed since then.

Good to know, AHB.

New question: How does access to practice sessions work?

Are they open (for free) to any and all spectators? (Esp. Wednesday practice sessions?)
Or only to those with all-event passes?
Or is at least a day pass necessary?
Or??

Thanks again for all your pointers.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anything Happen on Sunday? Why are passes being sold that day?

Sunday is the last day of U.S. Challenge Skate for junior and novice competitors. Takes place at the same venue along with U.S. Classic.

(Unless we get lucky this year, we probably will not know the entry list for Challenge Skate until starting orders are published on the Results page.)

When we go on Wednesday, we just walk in. They usually are setting up.

Thanks, AHB.

I hope it is safe to assume that for the rest of week, a day pass is fine for seeing that same day's practices.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
The entries list, and this tailgate thread, make me wish I was going. Have fun everyone!

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Icenetwork has the Challenge Skate schedule up - http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2017/09/2017_us_chall_skate

Scheduled (All Times Eastern)

9/14/2017 11:00am Novice Pairs Short Program
9/14/2017 12:15pm Novice Ladies Short Program
9/14/2017 2:00pm Novice Men's Short Program

9/15/2017 10:30am Novice Men's Free Skate
9/15/2017 11:35am Novice Ladies Free Skate
9/15/2017 1:20pm Novice Pairs Free Skate

9/16/2017 12:00pm Novice Pattern Dance
9/16/2017 1:00pm Junior Short Dance
9/16/2017 1:45pm Junior Ladies Short Program
9/16/2017 3:35pm Junior Men's Short Program
9/16/2017 5:10pm Junior Pairs Short Program

9/17/2017 10:00am Novice Free Dance
9/17/2017 11:20am Junior Free Dance
9/17/2017 12:10pm Junior Ladies Free Skate
9/17/2017 2:50pm Junior Men's Free Skate
9/17/2017 4:35pm Junior Pairs Free Skate

shine

Record Breaker
Icenetwork has the Challenge Skate schedule up - http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2017/09/2017_us_chall_skate

Scheduled (All Times Eastern)

9/14/2017 11:00am Novice Pairs Short Program
9/14/2017 12:15pm Novice Ladies Short Program
9/14/2017 2:00pm Novice Men's Short Program

9/15/2017 10:30am Novice Men's Free Skate
9/15/2017 11:35am Novice Ladies Free Skate
9/15/2017 1:20pm Novice Pairs Free Skate

9/16/2017 12:00pm Novice Pattern Dance
9/16/2017 1:00pm Junior Short Dance
9/16/2017 1:45pm Junior Ladies Short Program
9/16/2017 3:35pm Junior Men's Short Program
9/16/2017 5:10pm Junior Pairs Short Program

9/17/2017 10:00am Novice Free Dance
9/17/2017 11:20am Junior Free Dance
9/17/2017 12:10pm Junior Ladies Free Skate
9/17/2017 2:50pm Junior Men's Free Skate
9/17/2017 4:35pm Junior Pairs Free Skate
Might be a dumb question - but does anyone know if icebetwork is showing the senior events? And if not...why not? I didn't think it was going to get broadcasted on any other networks.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Might be a dumb question - but does anyone know if icebetwork is showing the senior events? And if not...why not? I didn't think it was going to get broadcasted on any other networks.

For its subscribers, IN will have streaming video both for U.S. Classic (senior competition) and for U.S. Challenge Skate (junior and novice).

Doris already has set up competition threads for U.S. Classic SPs and SD.
Her OPs have the schedule link for IN streaming of U.S. Classic.

(I think you misunderstood AHB's post above??
That post happened to pertain only to U.S. Challenge Skate -- and thus it happened to have listings only for junior and novice competitions.
It is no reason for concern over streaming of U.S. Classic.)

ETA:

Senior Practice Groups (and times):

The U.S. ladies and Japanese ladies are in the same practice group :popcorn:.​

shine

Record Breaker
^thanks!! Yes, I did misunderstand AHB's post as I didn't realize there was a separate name for the jr and novice events. This clears things up!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I put up a separate thread for discussion of the Junior and Novice events in the same forum.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
There's a storm coming Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Just a storm - this one does not have a name (unless it's Nathan).

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's a storm coming Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Just a storm - this one does not have a name (unless it's Nathan).

Da Truth!!! :luv17: And thanks for posting the adorable FB picture of Nathan well-wishing the little skaters :)

I don't know if this is the right thread ... but if anyone has videos of the practices, esp Nathan's, I hope you'll post! Have a wonderful time, AHB.