Tatsuki Machida | Page 35 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

ioanna

Record Breaker
I found an old article (it was published during the Sochi Olympics) that has more info on his studies and his graduation thesis.
http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi2014/figureskate/news/p-sochi-tp0-20140215-1257792.html

The headline is "Machida will retire at the end of next season". He is a student at the Faculty of Literature at Kansai University and could not complete his studies in March this year because he went to the Olympics so he will do it in 2015. He intended to retire as soon as he completed his course.

Before the 2013 National Championship he was studying Chinese and taking exams. He carried his books with him to Sochi and even studied and worked on his graduation thesis there. The theme of his thesis is "The Relationship Between Figure Skating and Art".

The article ends with "the philosopher of ice will soon fly high towards a new field".

As we know, a month after this article was published he won a silver medal at the World Championship so his retirement decision has been up in the air since then. His performance at Worlds may have single handedly changed what seemed like a solid decision regarding his career.

ioanna

Record Breaker
New video interview with Tatsuki and Yuzuru
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2cxqau_141220めざまし6時台_spor

Here's a translation for Tatsuki's part (source)

Machida: I’ve faced my challenges and performed until the end without giving up. Symphony no 9 is a program that’s been designed based on my ideals and desired direction in skating to the point that I’m wondering if the ideal can be achieved. I’ve perceived the GPF as a process I must go through towards Nationals and while some people may have felt defeated after it, that is absolutely not the case with me.

Narrator: Machida will work on this program with his initial goals in mind and he’s not nervous about the competition next week.

Machida: I’m probably the only one who can pull off Symphony no 9 so I will keep pursuing it with things that only I can do till the end. I’d like to ask everyone waiting for my performance at Nationals to look forward to my programs!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thank you! Go Diva Machida! :rock: (Also, he's articulated exactly what we all suspected about his programs--some kind of ideal he wants to reach).

ioanna

Record Breaker
Thank you! Go Diva Machida! :rock: (Also, he's articulated exactly what we all suspected about his programs--some kind of ideal he wants to reach).

I like the way he's staring out the window as he speaks. :laugh: Just in case we needed more reasons to call him Philosophy Prince.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Well it's already Nationals week and I think it's fit to post Tatsuki's incredible SP & FS from last year's Nationals. Until 2013, he never managed to get on the podium, although he did finish 4th in 2009 and 2011.

East Of Eden (93.22)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx6V2CzQFBg

Firebird (183.82)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzK9kXSXOmM

With two clean, strong programs and a total score of 277.04 he grabbed the silver medal and then repeated the same experience at the same Saitama Arena at the World Championship. Here's hoping he will manage to get close to this in the next few days!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
With two clean, strong programs and a total score of 277.04 he grabbed the silver medal and then repeated the same experience at the same Saitama Arena at the World Championship. Here's hoping he will manage to get close to this in the next few days!

Go Tatsuki! I just wish him the best of luck. The FP music would be so perfect for the ending year. I would like to see him standing on the podium again too!

ioanna

Record Breaker
Go Tatsuki! I just wish him the best of luck. The FP music would be so perfect for the ending year. I would like to see him standing on the podium again too!
That's exactly what he said when he unveiled his programs, that performing Symphony no 9 at the end of the year would be the highlight of the season for him. :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Adding his EX program to the SP and FS from last year's Nationals, the self choreographed program Byakuyako, inspired after a story whose plot ends on Christmas Eve. ;) The music is live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAJ-dmHjX_A

Very interesting. He may want to depict a lost soul on Christmas Eve? :biggrin: He looks like a flying bird though, very light and free spirited.
I think he can be a good choreographer if he determines to pursue his career.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Good luck for the nationals! :cheer2: I can't even imagine the worlds without him, but it won't be the case. Even though I like Mura or baby Shoma, I don't think they have a chance if Tatsuki skates almost clean.:) Hope to see a perfect FS, I watched too many times the SA performance:laugh:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker