Tatsuki Machida | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Tatsuki Machida

leolion11

On the Ice
I don't understand the levels though? Like I thought Machida would hit a level 4 somewhere for sure... Even Yuzuru got all level 3s and I'm just here trying to figure out why they weren't given any level 4s. Heck, Shoma got level 4 for all his non-jump elements. I don't see why there's such a big difference :think:

Japan judges were crazy strict today :scratch:

It's weird. They're strict with the levels but then they give Yuzuru crazy GOE for his 4T and 3A. Not that he didn't deserve the GOE, but i'm shocked at the levels they're giving for spins and the step sequence.

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Simply incredible skate from Tatsuki. I can't see what happened with the levels... Anyway, even if I understood the rules, I wouldn't be able to count positions and revolutions for a skate like that. Too caught up in the sheer :drama: and :love:

I'm going with "The tech panel at Japanese Nationals saw all our posts about "Nationals Inflation" so they went overboard to not inflate." :biggrin:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I've got goosebumps! The performance was just exquisite and breathtaking. :clap:

However, I don't understand why Tatsuki got a lower score than SA. :shocked:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I've got goosebumps! The performance was just exquisite and breathtaking. :clap:

However, I don't understand why Tatsuki got a lower score than SA. :shocked:

He got level 3s and 4s at SA and also bigger PCS. They gave him lower levels and PCS here. :laugh:

ioanna

Record Breaker
A few quotes from Tatsuki

“It wasn’t perfect. But I gave it a full-on effort, so I have no regrets.”
“I’m here to perform for the spectators. I felt they connected with my emotions. My rank is not important, but how I perform is."
“I have been through several competitions with my free skate now, but I still need to make it whole.”

After rewatching his SP, I think his performance was better than Skate America. The program just clicked and everything fell into place and he doesn't seem as tired as he was at TEB or GPF because he carried this program with constant power and flow until then end. I hope he will also be able to create a cohesive piece out of his FS tomorrow but I admit I'm still worried.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I hope he will also be able to create a cohesive piece out of his FS tomorrow but I admit I'm still worried.

Oh I am a tad worried too, but I think Tatsuki's mindset of thinking of performance first rather than placement will stand him in good stead in the free. Wishing him a soaring rendition of his "Ode to Joy" program. Fly high Tatsuki!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
+1. :points: I cried, it was so beautiful. Part of me wants him to win tomorrow.

Yes that program has the same effect on me. Tatsuki holds nothing back in his interpretation that one can't help but be swept up in the emotion of it all. If I may say it, the feelings evoked in me by Tatsuki's SP compare to those I get watching Daisuke's exhibition program of "Kissing You." I am left in tears and with an aching sense of loss.

I think there are not a few Yuzuru fans like us who have come to appreciate Tatsuki and became fans of his as well. Wishing them both and also their compatriots best performances in the free and make this year's men's competition in Japanese nationals one for the ages.

Last edited:

firal

Record Breaker
Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Machida-san's SP last night and also his skating in general. I really like both him and Hanyu-san and want both to do their best. It is too bad that after this performance many are crying conspiracy on the judges' part of how they already decided on who they want to finish first. I always hate seeing people turn on other athletes because the athletes they support did not get the points they deserved. I am sure that both of them want to perform their best and win fair and square.

Good luck on the FS!

iceberg

On the Ice
i cried when he cried after his program. it was beautiful and i already knew that no matter how perfect his program is he will still be scored inferior to the wonderboy. thats why i skipped this seasons competition. because it is aburden for such an exemplary skater to compete with a fixed champion.

bronwynsings

Rinkside
It really is a shame. I don't dislike Yuzuru, but I feel so bad for Tatsuki, knowing that it'll take a lot of mistakes from Yuzuru and a near-perfect performance ala 2014 Worlds SP for him to ever beat Yuzuru. Especially at Japanese Nationals. It's not impossible for Tatsuki to win, like how Akiko won last year and Mao ended up in 3rd, but it'll be hard.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
A few quotes from Tatsuki

After rewatching his SP, I think his performance was better than Skate America. The program just clicked and everything fell into place and he doesn't seem as tired as he was at TEB or GPF because he carried this program with constant power and flow until then end. I hope he will also be able to create a cohesive piece out of his FS tomorrow but I admit I'm still worried.

Thank you for bringing the quotes here. I really like his personality! He appreciates everything which enable him to keep him going on.

He is such an artist to enable to stir up deep inside of spectators and make them in peace with the choreography and interpretation to music.

I agree that his performance yesterday was much enhanced than his performance at SA. I just wish him the best of luck and make a clean FP to achieve his own goal.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Let's be serious here, the scoring is not entirely the judges' fault, this is how IJS works and Yuzuru's programs are carefully built to meet the requirements of IJS. This combined with his natural talent is the reason why he will keep getting bigger scores than basically every other male skater out there. So other than a slight PCS inflation, he would have still been 1st after the SP and I'm pretty sure he will also get his 3rd straight national title today. My only issue with the scoring yesterday was that the PCS gap was way too big especially because Tatsuki skated a clean, well performed program and he even skated last of all 30 skaters. At least give some credit where credit is due.

In the mean time let us send our positive thoughts towards Tatsuki because he faces a huge challenge today trying to skate his difficult FS as clean and as beautiful as possible.