Thank you to this forum | Golden Skate

Thank you to this forum

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Though I've became a fan of skating since the men's SP of the team event at the Olympics last year, I would have to say my first full season of being a fan started when this season started. And my first full season of skating of being a fan was amazing. First off, by experiencing the excitement of the selection of the skaters for each GP event, experiencing the excitement of the GP series, me actually going to Chicago to see Skate America, watching shady livestream links to those events with all of you, experiencing excitement and watching livestreams of some of Canadian nationals, watching some of US nationals on TV, watching livestreams of Euros, 4CC, Junior Worlds, and Senior Worlds, and participating in the conversations on here.

My first full season as a fan has been enjoyable. And I have to thank this forum. Because I learned from here, I participated in conversations about the events, and I was able to keep up when I couldn't find a livestream to watch it due to that there was no non-paying stream that would work in the USA, if I couldn't watch it due to school, or other reasons. Plus I learned why some people have adversities of other skaters (Which sometimes I would agree or disagree.). And every time I would watch a livestream, I would keep the appropiate thread open to join in the conversation and the excitement.

I know it wouldn't have been as enjoyable if I didn't decide to join in and join in the conversations during the competitions and such. So thank you Golden Skate!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Good thread start and nice post cheerknithanson :)

I too will take the opportunity to thank all those who contribute with organizing, information, pbp, links, videos, knowledge, statistics, humor, games etc. Some people really put al lot of work into this forum. I won’t name names, because I’m then sure to forget some. Thanks a lot to all of you and to all members who post, short or long - seldom or often :thumbsup:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many thanks for starting a nice thread. And welcome to our deep world of figure skating, cheerknithanson! :biggrin:

The timing is perfect, I would say :yes:, since the biggest event of the season (The Worlds) has just ended and we are having (once again) some uneasy, uncomfortable moments/situations, and repeated, endless, unproductive argument at numerous threads within GS Forum. But it's sort of the norm in the world of figure skating, and of any other sports probably, which I am slowly getting used to by now. :p

Tbh, however, I three will take this opportunity to thank all the people concerned on the forum; GS organizer/administrator, moderators and members for giving us to discuss about the sport we love most (and we sometimes hate ;)).

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I'm all for gratitude!

I joined this site right before Sochi last year and have enjoyed the diverse viewpoints and thoughtful posts by many. I've also learned a lot about figure skating and thanks to those who've answered my stupid questions along the way. I'm now much better at ID'ing jumps, too (still have problems ID'ing a Salchow for some reason), the skaters, and got to understand that there is so much more in the Olympic cycle beyond Nationals and the Grand Prix circuit.

Thanks to this board, I also found out about Johnny Weir and Ashley Wagner skating in NYC last month at the Special Olympics event. Standing in the freezing cold and watching them skate live was so exciting that I decided to go to Boston next year for Worlds. Hope to meet some of you who are going!

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I'm all for gratitude!

I joined this site right before Sochi last year and have enjoyed the diverse viewpoints and thoughtful posts by many. I've also learned a lot about figure skating and thanks to those who've answered my stupid questions along the way. I'm now much better at ID'ing jumps, too (still have problems ID'ing a Salchow for some reason), the skaters, and got to understand that there is so much more in the Olympic cycle beyond Nationals and the Grand Prix circuit.

Thanks to this board, I also found out about Johnny Weir and Ashley Wagner skating in NYC last month at the Special Olympics event. Standing in the freezing cold and watching them skate live was so exciting that I decided to go to Boston next year for Worlds. Hope to meet some of you who are going!

I know the difference between the 6 jumps on paper. Like I know which edge is the take-off and landing, if it's on the same foot or not, and if it's a forward or backwards take-off. Though telling them apart from actually seeing the jump is harder to determine. Lol. I don't usually look at the skater's skates very carefully.

I learned between the time when I became a fan of skating to joining this forum some competitions and such. But I learned more stuff on here.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been grateful for this site since I discovered it. Most of the posters are very pleasant (and I've actually had a chance to meet up with some of them @ various skating events). There are a lot of very technically knowledgeable people here, too! Thanks a bunch for this lively, but friendly, and informative site!

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Yes! This is an awesome site, and I hope it stays afloat for much longer!

(Also, to that person on FSU: I am very very very sorry for ripping off your idea for an April Fool's Day thread, but that was the only thing I could come up with that didn't involve people dying. And I'm sorry to everyone else for my horrible attempt at one.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's OK. If you are going to post a joke thread, Le Cafe is the place to do it, not The Edge.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That one is now unapproved too. It did not have an obvious joke title as yours did, so it took a while to catch it.