The Nordics Open 2024 | Feb 1-4 | Golden Skate

The Nordics Open 2024 | Feb 1-4

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Nordics Open 2024 will take place Feb 1-4, 2024, in Borås, Sweden. The event will feature the Singles disciplines (Women and Men), Pairs and Ice Dance disciplines for the Junior and Senior categories and will be conducted in accordance with the 2022 ISU Constitution and General Regulations, the Special Regulations & Technical Rules Single & Pair Skating, and the relevant ISU Communications.

The Nordics Open is for any representatives of any ISU Members at the junior and senior level, while The Nordics are only open to representatives of Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Finland has confirmed the team:

Senior, women: Nella Pelkonen, Emmi Peltonen, Olivia Lisko, Janna Jyrkinen and Linnea Ceder
Substitutes: Minja Peltonen, Pihla Bergman and Selma Välitalo

Senior men: Makar Suntsev, Jan Ollikainen and Arttu Juusola (no subs)

Junior, women: Petra Lahti, Minja Peltonen, Pihla Bergman, Darja Trubitson, Karina Innos and Anna Bergström
Substitutes: Lotta Artimo

Junior, men: Matias Lindfors, Jari Krestyannikov, Matias Heinonen and Anton Erkama (no subs)

Novice, girls: Venla Sinisalo, Lotta Artimo, Meea Männikkö, Emmi Ahlsted and Pinja Peltola
Substitutes: Josefiina Puiro, Annika Pellonmaa and Maisa Uutela

Novice, boys: Benjamin Eriksson ja Kosti Suutari (no subs)

Tingeling

Rinkside
Sweden

Senior men

Jonathan Egyptsson, Gabriel Folkesson, Andreas Nordebäck, Oliver Praetorius

Senior women
Lovisa Aav, Josefin Brovall, Julia Brovall, Josefin Taljegård

Junior men
Adam Bjelke, Hugo Bostedt, Casper Johansson, Albin Samuelsson, Nikita Tarakanov

Junior women
Lilly Almgren-Lidman, Nina Fredriksson, Leona Gebara, Miranda Lundgren, Alexandra Ödman

Novice girls
Nora Coppens, Hedda Hedström, Sarah Johansson, Hanne Trulsson, Alice Westling

Last edited:

Tingeling

Rinkside
Denmark

Junior men

Wendell Hansson-Østergaard

Junior women
Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen, Selma Larsen, Camilla Poulsen,
Substitute: Emilia Due Borch

Novice girls
Fie Egan Magnussen, Nikoline Ida Kristensen

Last edited:

Andrea82

Medalist
I see Ice Dance event is taking place after all.
ISU calendar indicated Nordics Open would have included Ice Dance this year but there is no mention in the Announcement and neither in Finnish and Swedish entries.

Country
Norway
I see Ice Dance event is taking place after all.
ISU calendar indicated Nordics Open would have included Ice Dance this year but there is no mention in the Announcement and neither in Finnish and Swedish entries.
Interesting. It would be really cool if they had it this year, we could have two Swedish teams, 2-3 Finnish teams and the Danish once only in seniors + maybe som other teams outside Nordics. Sadly since they are not mentioned among the entries here it doesn´t seem any of them are going.

I guess if there aren´t enough teams to get ranking points they would not use energy on this competition. Milla and Nikolaj really needs to collect ranking points further to ever have chance to climb the stands. So if I were them, I would only attend competition with enough teams for ranking points.

Country
Norway
Norway:

Senior women:

Mia Risa Gomez

Frida T. Berge

Linnea Kilsand

Reserve:

Kaja Kleven

Junior women:

Pernille With

Ida Vamnes

Elea Rustgaard

Reserve:

Celine Beate Ellingsen

Junior men

Daniil Valanov

Adv.Novice girls:

Therese Kristine Håvåg

Amalie Nordbø

Emma Maevski

Katrine Victoria Berstad

Reserve:

Ellevine Wetlesen

Source: https://www.skoyteforbundet.no/kunstlop/nyheter/2023/uttak-isu-stevner-var-2024/

Country
Norway
Denmark

Junior men

Wendell Hansson-Østergaard

Junior women
Anna-Flora Colmor Jepsen, Selma Larsen, Camilla Poulsen,
Substitute: Emilia Due Borch

Novice girls
Fie Egan Magnussen, Nikoline Ida Kristensen

The number of entries from Denmark is really worrying. No seniors, well junior field is at least something.. but I think it´s even worse there are only two novice girls. Usually that is an indication of the future. I guess money issues both for competition and the lack of ice time in Denmark is really getting to them, but they need to focus on the younger skaters as well or there won´t be many junior and seniors in a few years time :/

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I guess if there aren´t enough teams to get ranking points they would not use energy on this competition. Milla and Nikolaj really needs to collect ranking points further to ever have chance to climb the stands. So if I were them, I would only attend competition with enough teams for ranking points.
I agree with you, but it might also be helpful to just get a lot of competitions under their belts? No ranking points, but experience in competing.

Country
Norway
I agree with you, but it might also be helpful to just get a lot of competitions under their belts? No ranking points, but experience in competing.
Yeah they need experience but most likely they need experience with the bigger competitions since they have done so well on the others small competition this season. Nikolaj is used with the pressure from bigger comps such as championships and Olympics but it seems this time Milla got a bit nervous which is extremely understandable given that this was her first big competition.

Anyways, I just discovered that Nordics is clashing with Bavarian Open which have Ice Dance, and since that is in Oberstdorf where they train it´s seems very likely Milla and Nikolaj will be competing there. They would not need to travel and I guess it´s almost mandatory for them to attend local competition.

This could also explain why there seems to no other ID at Nordics, I guess they rather go to Bavarian Open.

Exception would maybe be for the other Swedish team, they train in Sweden so Nordics would be better for them travel wise, but again - if there is no other teams competing there 🤷‍♀️

Country
Norway
Entries:

Actually it seems we had it all covered, because this year there is no other skaters from other countries all though the competition is open for participants outside the Nordics countries.

https://www.skatesweden.se/engelska-sidor/nordics-nordics-open/participants/entries

Senior ladies:

CEDER Linnea FIN
JYRKINEN Janna FIN
LISKO Olivia FIN
PELKONEN Nella FIN
PELTONEN Emmi FIN
GUNNARSDOTTIR Julia Sylvia ISL
BERGE Frida Turiddotter NOR
KILSAND Linnea NOR
KLEVEN Kaia NOR
RISA GOMEZ Mia NOR
AAV Lovisa SWE
BROVALL Josefin SWE
BROVALL Julia SWE
TALJEGARD Josefin SWE

Senior men:

JUUSOLA Arttu FIN
OLLIKAINEN Jan FIN
SUNTSEV Makar FIN
EGYPTSON Jonathan SWE
FOLKESSON Gabriel SWE
NORDEBACK Andreas SWE
PRAETORIUS Oliver SWE

Junior ladies:
BORCH Emilia Due DEN
JEPSEN Anna-Flora Colmor DEN
LARSEN SelmaSiri DEN
POULSEN Camilla Vinther DEN
BERGMAN Pihla FIN
BERGSTROM Anna FIN
INNOS Karina FIN
LAHTI Petra FIN
PELTONEN Minja FIN
TRUBITSON Darja FIN
ASGEIRSDOTTIR Lena Rut ISL
BERGSVEINSDOTTIR Freydis ISL
RUSTGAARD Elea NOR
VAMNES Ida Eline NOR
WITH Pernille NOR
ALMGREN-LIDMAN Lilly SWE
FREDRIKSSON Nina SWE
GEBARA Leona SWE
LUNDGREN Miranda SWE
ODMAN Alexandra SWE

Junior men:

HANSSON-OSTERGAARD Wendell DEN
ERKAMA Anton FIN
HEINONEN Matias FIN
KRESTYANNIKOV Jari FIN
LINDFORS Matias FIN
VALANOV Daniil NOR
BJELKE Adam SWE
BOSTEDT Hugo SWEJ
OHANSSON Casper SWE
SAMUELSSON Albin SWE
TARAKANOV Nikita SWE

Advanced Novice girls:

KRISTENSEN Nikoline Ida DEN
MAGNUSSEN Fie Egan DEN
AHLSTEDT Emmi FIN
ARTIMO Lotta FIN
MÄNNIKKO Meea FIN
PELTOLA Pinja FIN
SINISALO Venla FIN
BENEDIKTSDOTTIR Berglind Inga ISL
GUDMUNDSDOTTIR Saedis Heba ISL
SVEINBJORNSDOTTIR Elin Katla ISL
YNGVADOTTIR Katla Karitas ISL
BERSTAD Katrine NOR
HAVAG Therese NOR
MAEVSKI Emma NOR
NORDBO Amalie NOR
COPPENS Nora SWE
JOHANSSON Sarah SWE
TRULSSON Hanne SWE
HEDSTROM Hedda SWE
WESTLING Alice SWE

Advanced Novice boys:

ERIKSSON Benjamin FIN
SUUTARI Kosti FIN

Country
Norway
Schedule:

Thursday, Feb 1

14:30 Novice Girls Short Program

16:45 Novice Boys Short Program

17:30 Opening Ceremony

18:00 Junior Women Short Program

Friday, Feb 2

12:30 Junior Men Short Program

14:00 Novice Boys Free Skating

14:20 Novice Girls Free Skating

17:00 Victory Ceremony Novice Boys & Girls

Saturday, Feb 3

13:00 Senior Women Short Program

14:45 Senior Men Short Program

15:45 Junior Women Free Skating

19:00 Junior Men Free Skating

20:20 Victory Ceremony Junior Men and Junior Women

Sunday, Feb 4

11:30 Senior Men Free Skating

12:40 Senior Women Free Skating

14:30 Victory Ceremony Senior Men and Senior Women

16:00 SHOW

Country
Norway
Thank you, there is a few WD I see. Nella Pelkonen, Emmi Peltonen and Linnea Ceder are not on the entries anymore. Instead Minja Peltonen has been added.

Nella and Emmi was perhaps the two strongest podium candidates, this make the competition more open. Maybe the podium will be 🇫🇮🇸🇪🇳🇴 this year?

Janna would under normal circumstances be a favorite but she has had a bit of a rocky season. But it´s been a while since GP now so maybe she is well rested and back in business!

I think we will Josefin on the podium!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Day 1 of the Nordic Championships starts with an Advanced Novice double-bill. 19 girls, followed by 2 boys. First up are the 19 girls, who are arranged into two groups of 6; followed by a resurfacing; followed by a group of 7.

Livestream for Advanced Novice Ladies SP is now on air.

Here is the link for the livestream (89 SEK):
https://solidsport.com/skatesweden/watch/nordics-open-2024-thursday

Here is the Time Schedule:
https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24...ADVNOV----QUAL000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

And here is the live scoring:
https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24/71937/html/SEG011.htm

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And to complete our Advanced Novice double-bill, it is a group of 2 Finnish boys.

Livestream for Advanced Novice Men's SP is now on air.

https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24...ADVNOV----QUAL000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24/71937/html/SEG009.htm

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I wonder why Finland did not sent more substitutes. I am afraid in case of Selma Välitalo, as she lives in Oulu (600 kms north from Helsinki), the massive strikes we have here today and tomorrow affect if she did not get the information in time - or strikes do not affect but she did not get the information in time. Or maybe they just have personal obstacles. Nothing is announced and skaters have not been active on ig either. Emmi is shceduled on only one competition Merrano Ice Trophy, so it is her only chance to try to get the FS WC minimums and increase her scores, I counted it is just in time before worlds. Nella may have things at studies to do or injuries, and Linnea's last competition's FS was a disaster, so maybe there is some issue. No reasons is told. Some top skaters are at Bavarian open and that's why they are not shceduled here at the first place. An in juniors Iida is just on her way back to home from YOF, so she could not take part in here.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder why Finland did not sent more substitutes. I am afraid in case of Selma Välitalo, as she lives in Oulu (600 kms north from Helsinki), the massive strikes we have here today and tomorrow affect if she did not get the information in time - or strikes do not affect but she did not get the information in time. Or maybe they just have personal obstacles. Nothing is announced and skaters have not been active on ig either. Emmi is shceduled on only one competition Merrano Ice Trophy, so it is her only chance to try to get the FS WC minimums and increase her scores, I counted it is just in time before worlds. Nella may have things at studies to do or injuries, and Linnea's last competition's FS was a disaster, so maybe there is some issue. No reasons is told. Some top skaters are at Bavarian open and that's why they are not shceduled here at the first place. An in juniors Iida is just on her way back to home from YOF, so she could not take part in here.

I'm watching the Icebeat Winter Trophy at the moment, and the Junior Ladies SP finished about an hour ago. And I was surprised to see three Finnish girls competing there. Silja SIVU was 3rd, Unna KUUSINEN was 4th, and Ulla NIEMINEN was 5th after the SP.

Meanwhile at the Bavarian Open, Heidi MOISIO was 3rd in both segments and overall in the second of the two Junior Ladies competitions. And at Advanced Novice level, Annika PELLONMAA was 2nd in both segments and overall in the first of the two competitions, while Jenna OLLANKETO was 13th (9th in SP, 15th in FS) in the second of the two competitions.

I wouldn't have expected any Finnish Singles skaters to be doing other events this week. I was going to ask if these were lower ranked skaters, and if they were competing elsewhere because they weren't in contention for slots at the Nordics. But then I saw who the Senior skaters that are at the Bavarian Open are. And they are certainly not lower ranked skaters!

Is the shine starting to come off the Nordics? Like, the Norwegian Championships were only a few days ago, so there is a lack of skaters from that country here too.

Is the fact that there are no international skaters another indication of this? Or have the Nordics reverted back to just being for skaters from Nordic countries, rather than the open event that it has been in recent years?

To be honest, I prefer the format of it being just the Nordic countries competing against each other. For me, having international skaters meant it lost it's unique selling point. It became just another Senior B.

But, it is worrying if the Nordic countries are not treating it as one of the headline events of the season like they they used to.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After the tea time break, we finish the day wuth the first of the Junior competitions. And I suppose you could say that the girls are the first part of a Junior double-bill, because the boys start off proceedings tomorrow. Anyway, there are 19 girls, arranged into a group of 4; followed by a group of 5; followed by a resurfacing; followed by two groups of 5.

Livestream for Junioe Ladies SP is now on air.

https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24...JUNIOR----QUAL000100--_StartListwithTimes.pdf

https://skate.webbplatsen.net/23-24/71937/html/SEG007.htm

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan