Thieves have struck | Golden Skate

Thieves have struck

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was sitting around posting on our beloved board, and got an email that my debit card had been turned down because the security code had been incorrectly entered. Since I hadn't purchased anything since yesterday, I immediately logged on to the Internet and found that yep, someone bought out Aliexpress with my debit card. Bye bye money. It's cancelled now, so no one can get the last dregs of it, and I will get a new one in 7-10 days, but what a pain. I will also get my money back in 5-7 days, but I'd rather have it now.

I asked the BOA guy what to do, he says they are most often stolen by skimmers and to try to pay with my phone. But not everyone takes phone pay.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I was sitting around posting on our beloved board, and got an email that my debit card had been turned down because the security code had been incorrectly entered. Since I hadn't purchased anything since yesterday, I immediately logged on to the Internet and found that yep, someone bought out Aliexpress with my debit card. Bye bye money. It's cancelled now, so no one can get the last dregs of it, and I will get a new one in 7-10 days, but what a pain. I will also get my money back in 5-7 days, but I'd rather have it now.

I asked the BOA guy what to do, he says they are most often stolen by skimmers and to try to pay with my phone. But not everyone takes phone pay.
I've had my Visa account hacked twice in the last year, once by someone letting me pay for their hotel room in Amsterdam while I was sitting in my condo in Richmond, BC, and once by someone in India who tried to withdraw more in a cash advance than was still available as credit on the card. The second attempt was blocked by Visa security before I even knew about it (followed by two months of hassles getting the card unlocked, cancelled, and a new one etc etc). The first time I just phoned up their fraud line and they took my word for it without question and immediately refunded the hotel bill amount. Issuing a new card, which was the one that then got hacked just months later...:(:(.

The most annoying part was the small number of friends or relatives who "neeeever" use credit or debit cards, smugly insisting they pay for everything in cash. (A small dose of salt needed there, I suspect.) I pointed out that since various circumstances force me to do virtually all my shopping at a distance online, what did they expect me to do, tie a little wallet full of cash to the leg of a carrier pigeon?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've had my Visa account hacked twice in the last year, once by someone letting me pay for their hotel room in Amsterdam while I was sitting in my condo in Richmond, BC, and once by someone in India who tried to withdraw more in a cash advance than was still available as credit on the card. The second attempt was blocked by Visa security before I even knew about it (followed by two months of hassles getting the card unlocked, cancelled, and a new one etc etc). The first time I just phoned up their fraud line and they took my word for it without question and immediately refunded the hotel bill amount. Issuing a new card, which was the one that then got hacked just months later...:(:(.

The most annoying part was the small number of friends or relatives who "neeeever" use credit or debit cards, smugly insisting they pay for everything in cash. (A small dose of salt needed there, I suspect.) I pointed out that since various circumstances force me to do virtually all my shopping at a distance online, what did they expect me to do, tie a little wallet full of cash to the leg of a carrier pigeon?
BOA immediately cancelled my debit card, gave me access to a digital one and I have the new physical one already.
The Door Dash driver who stole my order on September 6, on the other hand, is still not resolved, and both Walgreens and Door Dash want to kick that can down the road.
There are only two things I use cash for. One is to pay the guy who fixes my car because he’s saved me thousands of dollars. The other is my vet because he charges a 3% surcharge for cards. Either requires a special trip to get cash.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
BOA immediately cancelled my debit card, gave me access to a digital one and I have the new physical one already.
The Door Dash driver who stole my order on September 6, on the other hand, is still not resolved, and both Walgreens and Door Dash want to kick that can down the road.
There are only two things I use cash for. One is to pay the guy who fixes my car because he’s saved me thousands of dollars. The other is my vet because he charges a 3% surcharge for cards. Either requires a special trip to get cash.
My vet charges extra for a credit card, but accepts debit cards. In fact, she prefers the card because she has a tiny clinic (cats only) tucked in the corner of a small shopping mall, with only two staff people, and doesn't want to keep cash in the little office which is frequently empty when you first step in. I only use cash for taxi rides, ever since a driver managed to get my debit card number and then used it to buy his lunch nearby right after dropping me off at home. Not too bright of him. And I always used cash at gas stations when I still drove, before I got scared of heavy city traffic and sold my car.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Luckily mine was never fully stolen, but I did have to get a new debit card 2 months ago because I put my banking information into a form thingy thinking it was from my bank cause it said my card was suspended/locked out and I needed to put information in. Now if it weren't for the ATM in my apartment being stupid with accepting cards sometimes when I needed to withdraw cash, I would have ignored it. Once I saw that they were asking for my email password, I was like, "Wait a minute..." So I immediately sent my money to my husband for my share of the rent, cancelled my card, and ordered a new one immediately. Luckily nothing was bought by the people wanting information, but let's hope this card lasts me until it's close to expiration.