Things to do in KC | Golden Skate

Things to do in KC

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
While we are waiting on a schedule, I decided to research things I could do on Monday if there is no skating. Unfortunately, the National WWI museum is closed on Monday so I will have to see that on Sunday. There is a small steamboat museum that is highly thought of, a possibility for Monday. (Just an FYI, it is my opinion that if I buy an all event package and "the powers that be" decide that part of that event should be in a far away rink, that THEY should pay for the shuttle to it, not me. If they decide to pay for my shuttle pass, fine. If not, It is THEY who are throwing the novices under the bus. Just my two cents.

louisa05

Final Flight
The World War I Museum is excellent.

The Truman Presidential Library and Museum is in Independence--very close, too, and is also excellent.

I have never been because in the billion times we've been to KC, it has never worked out, but I've heard great things about the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

Union Station has great things to do/see, too. There are a lot of excellent (and local) restaurants at Country Club Plaza as well as in the Power & Light District. P&L is closer to the arena. But the Plaza is not far from downtown, either.

Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is excellent, too.

My mom and I will be there for the ladies free skate only. Since KC means a hotel (we are a bit over 3 hrs away), we couldn't swing the weekend package we had in Omaha. I am thinking of maybe surprising her with men's free tickets for Sunday, too, though. One more sub day this month and I can pull that off.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
The World War I Museum is excellent.

The Truman Presidential Library and Museum is in Independence--very close, too, and is also excellent.

I have never been because in the billion times we've been to KC, it has never worked out, but I've heard great things about the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum.

Union Station has great things to do/see, too. There are a lot of excellent (and local) restaurants at Country Club Plaza as well as in the Power & Light District. P&L is closer to the arena. But the Plaza is not far from downtown, either.

Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is excellent, too.

My mom and I will be there for the ladies free skate only. Since KC means a hotel (we are a bit over 3 hrs away), we couldn't swing the weekend package we had in Omaha. I am thinking of maybe surprising her with men's free tickets for Sunday, too, though. One more sub day this month and I can pull that off.

Looks like I will have to see the WWI museum on Tuesday Morning and will have to find something to do Monday other than give lectures on WWI small arms outside the closed doors of the museum.....Say, werent you at Kent? I think I have a pic of you, mom and PaulE?
Chris with feverish cold....

louisa05

Final Flight
Nope. Omaha is the only Nationals we have ever been to as it was in our backyard. We did meet you briefly there.

I just bought tickets for the men's free skate, too. I talked my brother in to paying part of it for a Christmas gift for mom. Didn't take much talking. He's cool like that.

My mother is visually impaired, so we have to have close seats at any event where the purpose is to see the event. That makes things more expensive. Concerts, we go either way as you are there primarily to hear.

Get to Independence to the Truman museum and you will cover both world wars. The Nelson Atkins is not far from downtown and Union Station is right by the WWI Museum. I would definitely at least stop there.

We love Kansas City and get there at least once a year, usually more. My parents took us there when we were kids to go to baseball games at least twice every summer--sometimes just a Sunday day trip--drive down in the morning, lunch in St Joe, the game, then drive home. About once a year, we would stay a weekend and do other things, too. And sometimes the Saturday night and Sunday game both. My husband likes to go to classic car auctions there which come through once a year.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Nope. Omaha is the only Nationals we have ever been to as it was in our backyard. We did meet you briefly there.

I just bought tickets for the men's free skate, too. I talked my brother in to paying part of it for a Christmas gift for mom. Didn't take much talking. He's cool like that.

My mother is visually impaired, so we have to have close seats at any event where the purpose is to see the event. That makes things more expensive. Concerts, we go either way as you are there primarily to hear.

Get to Independence to the Truman museum and you will cover both world wars. The Nelson Atkins is not far from downtown and Union Station is right by the WWI Museum. I would definitely at least stop there.

We love Kansas City and get there at least once a year, usually more. My parents took us there when we were kids to go to baseball games at least twice every summer--sometimes just a Sunday day trip--drive down in the morning, lunch in St Joe, the game, then drive home. About once a year, we would stay a weekend and do other things, too. And sometimes the Saturday night and Sunday game both. My husband likes to go to classic car auctions there which come through once a year.

OK, my mistake. I will have to send the pic to Mrs. P and have her set me right.
Thanks for the tips. Yes, it looks like Union Station is the place to see on Monday.
http://www.unionstation.org/

At my age and energy level, I have to be careful and not overdue things, so there is pleanty to see within walking distance of my Hotel.

Glad you got more tickets! Nats is my favorite comp...but it is expensive and time consuming to see for folks that aren't retired.
Hope your husband has seen or will see the National Car Museum in Reno. Went there a week ago. Really amazing.
Chris

louisa05

Final Flight
Hmmm....we'll have to put the car museum on our list. Someday, we may be able to vacation somewhere that is not a border state. He would love it.

I'm excited we got to add the men's free skate; I don't think we would have made it home in time to watch. I can DVR, but she doesn't have that. Brother is paying for mom's ticket, so I just had to pay for mine. She paid for the ladies' free tickets and is paying for the hotel. The hard part is that I can't tell her until Christmas. :)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hmmm....we'll have to put the car museum on our list. Someday, we may be able to vacation somewhere that is not a border state. He would love it.

I'm excited we got to add the men's free skate; I don't think we would have made it home in time to watch. I can DVR, but she doesn't have that. Brother is paying for mom's ticket, so I just had to pay for mine. She paid for the ladies' free tickets and is paying for the hotel. The hard part is that I can't tell her until Christmas. :)

Mums the word! WE will never tell her!:agree: