Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Thoughts on Evgenia Medvedeva's 2018-19 Season

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It is not far enough from her usual programs for my taste.
I still want to see her do a tango or something upbeat or a huge drama music.

Agreed. I want to see her do something completely different than what she's been doing over the past 3 years.

I loved her Anna Karenina b/c it was somewhat refreshing b/c it wasn't the same wistful melancholy feel of her previous programs. I'd like to see her go the Mao Asada route and really mix it up with her program choices. Mao had such a big range of programs and was able to bring something different to each of them. Evgenia has been mostly one note thus far in her career. I'd love to see her tackle something like a tango or latin inspired program to bring out her spicy fiery side...or a musical theater inspired piece to bring out her personality and performance...or something upbeat and fun to bring out a playful side.

Evgenia is an amazing performer. That's always been something I've admired about her. She commits to her music, choreography and the character/feeling she's portraying; she just needs some better and more varied material to work with.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Agreed. I want to see her do something completely different than what she's been doing over the past 3 years.

I loved her Anna Karenina b/c it was somewhat refreshing b/c it wasn't the same wistful melancholy feel of her previous programs. I'd like to see her go the Mao Asada route and really mix it up with her program choices. Mao had such a big range of programs and was able to bring something different to each of them. Evgenia has been mostly one note thus far in her career. I'd love to see her tackle something like a tango or latin inspired program to bring out her spicy fiery side...or a musical theater inspired piece to bring out her personality and performance...or something upbeat and fun to bring out a playful side.

Evgenia is an amazing performer. That's always been something I've admired about her. She commits to her music, choreography and the character/feeling she's portraying; she just needs some better and more varied material to work with.

One thing she does well is DRAMA. I think a tango could go so well for her! But hey, maybe it's just not the time. Because although she's drama queen she seems to be such a happy, fun young woman, so maybe she could do a fun program for a change, that'd be nice too!:luv17:

ejnsofi

Final Flight
And that will only matter if they start calling her on it. I guess we'll see what happens.

Mao Asada was constantly called and she only managed to fix her edge for the last few competitions in her career. Besides it isn't like she didn't try to fix it earlier

KiraraChin

Medalist
One thing she does well is DRAMA. I think a tango could go so well for her! But hey, maybe it's just not the time. Because although she's drama queen she seems to be such a happy, fun young woman, so maybe she could do a fun program for a change, that'd be nice too!:luv17:

I agree it would be nice to have something a bit more light-hearted in her competitive programs, just for a change. I also hope she gets to do an EXO exhibition at some point! :)

moriel

Record Breaker
Mao Asada was constantly called and she only managed to fix her edge for the last few competitions in her career. Besides it isn't like she didn't try to fix it earlier

2015-16 she got called
2014-15 did not compete
2013-14 she got called
2012-13 she got called

She only didnt get calls in 2016-17 season, so yeah dunno...

Hmmm, I wonder if there is any lady who got edge calls on a jump and still put 2 of those in a program. Kinda curious to see what happens if a person with edge issues puts 2 repeats the problematic jump in FS - for example, what is the risc of getting two ! or e calls, will the judges scrutinize both jumps if they notice some issue on one and so on?

Zhenya does not get called for her Lz that much, and she actually needs to repeat it in order to increase her BV by any significant amount.
if i am not mistaken, Osmond currently has the layout with highest possible realistic BV with only one 3Lz, and that is not much higher than Zhenya's (not counting second half bonus here, ofc).

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I'm not the biggest fan of David Wilson, but I'd like to at least think he will come up with something better than the most tired warhorses some are suggesting here. This is Evgenia, not just anybody. I know his tastes are a bit old-fashioned though, so I could see her giving her something from a musical. If so, then I'd hope it's an older one that isn't already a cliche like LaLa Land, Chicago, Moulin Rouge...ugh. For some reason I think she would make a good Audrey Hepburn.

I also hope she'll get to work with Shae-Lynn eventually. She's such an extroverted and upbeat person in real life that it makes no sense to keep doing all these "pretty" programs without any real impact.

silverfoxes, you might be a clairvoyant

My idol is Audrey Hepburn. Her manner of communication, appearance and behavior. A favorite film with her participation is "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
2015-16 she got called
2014-15 did not compete
2013-14 she got called
2012-13 she got called

She only didnt get calls in 2016-17 season, so yeah dunno...

Hmmm, I wonder if there is any lady who got edge calls on a jump and still put 2 of those in a program. Kinda curious to see what happens if a person with edge issues puts 2 repeats the problematic jump in FS - for example, what is the risc of getting two ! or e calls, will the judges scrutinize both jumps if they notice some issue on one and so on?

Zhenya does not get called for her Lz that much, and she actually needs to repeat it in order to increase her BV by any significant amount.
if i am not mistaken, Osmond currently has the layout with highest possible realistic BV with only one 3Lz, and that is not much higher than Zhenya's (not counting second half bonus here, ofc).

You know who does it? Konstantinova.
Two flips and they get called almost all of the time internationally (if not e, then almost always ! both times)

moriel

Record Breaker
You know who does it? Konstantinova.
Two flips and they get called almost all of the time internationally (if not e, then almost always ! both times)

Hmm she seems to get called on both most of the times (except at russian nationals)...
Overall, kinda feels like if judges call one, they call both, so seems risky to put two Lz in a program if you have edge issues.
But probably doable to have one in short and one in free, since the calls are fairly independant.

TGee

Record Breaker
:rofl:
No, no. She's not at the head of the FSB. Yet [emoji3]
True, but there may be other factors.

Gabby Daleman, who is training on the same rink as Zhenya, may be keeping her Carmen program of last year.

Gabby recently posted a short gif from training that used her old music.

Zhenya may prefer not to be training to music from the same opera on the same ice.

And she appears to be open to more unique music choices. She may wish to be a bit more innovative or surprising, while respecting the guidance of the FSB, her coaches, and her choreographer.

sisy

Rinkside
True, but there may be other factors.

Gabby Daleman, who is training on the same rink as Zhenya, may be keeping her Carmen program of last year.

Gabby recently posted a short gif from training that used her old music.

Zhenya may prefer not to be training to music from the same opera on the same ice.

And she appears to be open to more unique music choices. She may wish to be a bit more innovative or surprising, while respecting the guidance of the FSB, her coaches, and her choreographer.

Gabby and Lil Beth both used Carmen last season.

leoleo

Medalist
I seriously don't see Zhenya doing Carmen ever! it's so unlike her! but then, what excited me about her leaving Eteri was the possibility of trying new music and choreos. We'll see what Wilson and her decided to do but personally i'd love to see something fierce, dark or mysterious and she has never done that in competition. :yahoo:

Fluture

Record Breaker
No way Zhenya is doing Carmen when Alina‘s already doing it. That would be beyond stupid. :noshake: I‘m actually not in favor of a tango, to be honest. Sure, it would be a great way to show diversity and I guess she could pull it off pretty well but.. I don‘t even know why I‘m not so enthusiastic about this idea. Maybe she‘ll manage to surprise me. I bet she would. I‘m so, so excited for the next season!! :cheer:

komorebi

Rinkside
Personally, I can't see Evgenia doing Carmen! Especially not the same year as Alina. I would like to see her do a tango in the short, and I hope they go for something original in the free.

leoleo

Medalist
No way Zhenya is doing Carmen when Alina‘s already doing it. That would be beyond stupid. :noshake: I‘m actually not in favor of a tango, to be honest. Sure, it would be a great way to show diversity and I guess she could pull it off pretty well but.. I don‘t even know why I‘m not so enthusiastic about this idea. Maybe she‘ll manage to surprise me. I bet she would. I‘m so, so excited for the next season!! :cheer:

The idea of Zhenya doing a tango is so weird to me lmao! I just don't see her doing that but you never know. I thought maybe something jazzy and funky (not even sure i'm using the right adjective i'm french sorry). I think something like Mao's Bei Mir Bitsu Shein would suit her so well! she could show the fun and happy side of herself after being deaf, run by a train and being involved in 9/11 for many years :rofl2:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Yeah, I'd really like her to have at least one upbeat, fun program besides EX. I was joking with a friend that there's a lot of anime openings she could use ;) and then classical for free