Time for new blades | Golden Skate

Time for new blades

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Hello everyone, long time no see :)

I'm seeking help with choosing new blades as my old P99 revs are done, there's no more blade to sharpen :) My spins have gotten exponentially worse in the last weeks and looking at the blade after last sharpening the rockers on both blades seem to be gone for good 😁
Now, I am only and adult skater, very close to axel and some doubles, I am aware I am a little overbladed probably but I am in P99 because I bought them a little used but still in good condition and they lasted me for two seasons. The boot I use is Edea Ice Fly.

I am a powerful jumper and I absolutely LOVE the giant toe pick the P99 provides, and since I got them I not only jump even higher and better but also my edge work improved and I wonder if it's maybe due to the facts that P99 have low stanchions. I feel that even my posture improved beause I feel so secure in P99s that I stopped looking at the ice. I also really feel the difference in blade stanchion height comparing to the MKs I had two/three years ago and I definitely prefer P99s height, I like the feeling of being close to the ice :)

Now for the problem - I am not the best spinner, I do like spins but I always struggle with them a bit and from what I read P99s are pretty flattened on the sweet spot so spinning might be harder in them, this is why I also considered Gold Seals. I've seen Ic3Rabbit recommend Coro Ace a lot and I do consider them also.
Since I am only an adult skater I do not have the option to just test some blades and choose, hence I have to rely on other people opinions :) the thing is I am just really scared of changing the blade for another with a completely different rocker profile and smaller or cross cut toe pick. I've had a cross cut toe pick before and I did not like it at all. I would like to stick to the Revolution version because per JW they provide shock absorption and I've had some injuries to my knees and ankle.

So in general - I am a big jumper, with deep knees, deep edges and poor spins. Should I stick to the P99s or change?

PS. sorry for another blade topic, I've read several of them already but didn't really find what I needed.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello everyone, long time no see :)

I'm seeking help with choosing new blades as my old P99 revs are done, there's no more blade to sharpen :) My spins have gotten exponentially worse in the last weeks and looking at the blade after last sharpening the rockers on both blades seem to be gone for good 😁
Now, I am only and adult skater, very close to axel and some doubles, I am aware I am a little overbladed probably but I am in P99 because I bought them a little used but still in good condition and they lasted me for two seasons. The boot I use is Edea Ice Fly.

I am a powerful jumper and I absolutely LOVE the giant toe pick the P99 provides, and since I got them I not only jump even higher and better but also my edge work improved and I wonder if it's maybe due to the facts that P99 have low stanchions. I feel that even my posture improved beause I feel so secure in P99s that I stopped looking at the ice. I also really feel the difference in blade stanchion height comparing to the MKs I had two/three years ago and I definitely prefer P99s height, I like the feeling of being close to the ice :)

Now for the problem - I am not the best spinner, I do like spins but I always struggle with them a bit and from what I read P99s are pretty flattened on the sweet spot so spinning might be harder in them, this is why I also considered Gold Seals. I've seen Ic3Rabbit recommend Coro Ace a lot and I do consider them also.
Since I am only an adult skater I do not have the option to just test some blades and choose, hence I have to rely on other people opinions :) the thing is I am just really scared of changing the blade for another with a completely different rocker profile and smaller or cross cut toe pick. I've had a cross cut toe pick before and I did not like it at all. I would like to stick to the Revolution version because per JW they provide shock absorption and I've had some injuries to my knees and ankle.

So in general - I am a big jumper, with deep knees, deep edges and poor spins. Should I stick to the P99s or change?

PS. sorry for another blade topic, I've read several of them already but didn't really find what I needed.
JW Coronation Ace, MK Phantom or Gold Star Rev.(Trust me on this) and while we're at it, you could try the new Pro Lite.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
JW Coronation Ace, MK Phantom or Gold Star Rev.(Trust me on this) and while we're at it, you could try the new Pro Lite.
Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into your recommendations :)

Just one more question though - will I feel the difference between the 8ft and 7ft rocker? I've only been in 8ft up to this point.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Just one more question though - will I feel the difference between the 8ft and 7ft rocker? I've only been in 8ft up to this point.
Initially for a short period, but that should subside quickly. Talk to your tech and if you don't think you can do it then don't, though I don't see it as being a major issue.

Elija

On the Ice
I find phantoms the perfect medium between the big toe pick for jumps and a great spin rocker, which seems to be what you’re looking for. I went from coronation ace and much prefer the spin rocker on phantoms. I’m also an adult working on doubles and am a stronger jumper than spinner. They’re overall a lovely blade. Good luck!

TQB

Rinkside

I am also an adult skater around your level (although i envy your deep knees!!). I recently went to the coronation ace and love them, but it DID take a long time to get used to going from 8‘ to 7pm. i was also nursing a hip injury, but I’d say like 10-12 hours (i only get to skate 2-3 hours a week) on the ice before something clicked and i found the spot for forward spins. Still struggling to get the backspin right 2 months later.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am also an adult skater around your level (although i envy your deep knees!!). I recently went to the coronation ace and love them, but it DID take a long time to get used to going from 8‘ to 7pm. i was also nursing a hip injury, but I’d say like 10-12 hours (i only get to skate 2-3 hours a week) on the ice before something clicked and i found the spot for forward spins. Still struggling to get the backspin right 2 months later.
Everyone is different with the rocker switch, especially since you had an injury.

Reactions: TQB

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Thank You all for all replies :) I feel quite confident to switch to Phantoms, especially since I found out Patrick Chan aka Skating Skills god skated on them ;) and I'm a skating skills junkie ;)

I actually kind of had to go deeper in my knees after I fractured my right leg because there was no other way to get on the edge otherwise so the injury kind of helped me I guess 😅 Now the leg is fine but the deep knees are still there 🙂 I have to be really careful though because I also have an ACL injury in my left knee and it does happen I fall off the edge when I'm extra deep because something "stings" me inside. Well, that's high risk sport for you I guess 😅
Those injuries are why I want to stay in revolution version of the blades, I don't really know if the shock absorption is really there but I won't risk knee injuries to find out.

Reactions: TQB