Time to go to the fitter? | Golden Skate

Time to go to the fitter?

Vicki7

On the Ice
I cannot believe I'm writing this again - thought I had at least another year or 2 before this cropped up!

I am currently in Jackson Elite Pros and Legacy 7 blades. Boots will be 2 years old in April. I'm around 230lbs (trying to lose some weight...) and jumping up to loop, working on camel and sit spins, as well as working on dance stuff. Flat, wide feet. Fitted at a VERY reputable UK fitter. Skate on average 2 hours a week, more if I see my dance coach. Last week I think was around 6 hours on ice(!)

Over the last month or so I've been getting foot cramps, in both feet. Today it was within 15 minutes, and I spent the rest of my hour of lessons dealing with the pain. At one point I did have to re-tie my boots as they'd loosened and I felt I'd lost support, too.

Coach has had a look, says I've got some creasing beginning on the landing boot.

I've changed nothing - this is totally out of the blue. I'm going to try swapping out my laces as I've not done that for a while, and see if that helps, or at least buys me time.

Even if the laces help, I'm tempted because of the lead times - a friend ordered new Jacksons in September and only just picked them up last week.

But I'd be interested to know, do you think it's time to go see the fitter again??

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
If you're having pain with previously fine boots, it's time to visit your fitter. They have a whole arsenal of things to either improve things or they can put you in new boots. Either way, they'll know more than you or a bunch of random strangers on the internet. ;)(Even if I'm not quite a random stranger!)

Vicki7

On the Ice
Oh I'm absolutely making a trip to see them - I think I posted because I've had SO many boot issues due to bad fittings, I don't actually know what happens when boots reach the end of their working life! Everyone at my rink keeps their boots forever, it seems, so wanted some opinions in case I'm overreacting, but I won't do anything without speaking to an expert!

I was told when I was fitted, that realistically I could expect around 2, maybe 2 and a half years from my boots with the skating I'm doing (I'm not even doing big jumps, I just seem to be hard on them! Being heavy doesn't help either... :( )

Very annoying though as it's painful, but when I'm NOT in pain, I'm actually skating well at the moment!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You may want to go see your fitter. You are more than likely going to need new and stronger boots. Your current boots you've lucked out with so far b/c with your stats I would have put you in a bit higher stiffness boot and would have never told you that they would last you even close to 2-2.5 years!

If you are in pain that makes it worse. Definitely go see the fitter.

Good luck! :)

Vicki7

On the Ice
Thank you - it feels odd to even consider going even stiffer than I am when I'm not even near Axel yet!

I should say I've done her a disservice with how I wrote my initial post, my fitter didn't give that 2/2.5 years as a DEFINITE number, but said that's roughly where most adults sit so to expect to be looking at replacement around that point and as I was now finally in the right size and width, this pair would give me an idea of how tough I am on boots.

If they weren't so expensive I swear I'd order 2 pairs of boots so that I could just switch when the time came!

I'm going to drop them a message and see what they say too - if lead times are long I'll be making a trip sooner rather than later!

Vicki7

On the Ice
Yep, definitely time. Dropped them a message via social media - lovely fast response and they said it's very likely the start of boot breakdown, especially as it's both feet. They offered a couple of solutions to help until I can get over and see them, I was on the right track with swapping my laces, and they've said new insoles may also help. I've got a couple of days spare after my next competition so will look at going over then.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Update time - put some new laces in, and it's helped. I have a competition in the same town as my fitter in April so will be going in to get the boots checked. But it's bought me some time so that's a relief!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you - it feels odd to even consider going even stiffer than I am when I'm not even near Axel yet!

I should say I've done her a disservice with how I wrote my initial post, my fitter didn't give that 2/2.5 years as a DEFINITE number, but said that's roughly where most adults sit so to expect to be looking at replacement around that point and as I was now finally in the right size and width, this pair would give me an idea of how tough I am on boots.

If they weren't so expensive I swear I'd order 2 pairs of boots so that I could just switch when the time came!

I'm going to drop them a message and see what they say too - if lead times are long I'll be making a trip sooner rather than later!
The way prices for everything are leaping upwards so rapidly in the last few years, not just inching steadily higher, my philosophy has become to buy two of anything I find is perfect for me now, because in a year or two the replacement will be so much more expensive! :jaw:(If I can afford it at the moment, of course, and bearing in mind that some items, including but not just skate boots, may have an even better version available in another year or so. I'm not obsessed with my policy, just do it when it seems sensible.)

Vicki7

On the Ice
Well, an update. I was seeing my dance coach today and there's a skate shop at the rink that she recommends to her skaters. So I called in after skating.

Confirmation has been received that my boots are breaking down. The owner was slightly surprised I'm in a coaching boot with the amount I skate and jump, she said it was an odd choice, I did say I made that choice because of how they looked. However, after nearly 2 years, I think I'm ready to go back to a traditional boot. She's going to reach out to her Jackson rep and see what they advise for me for the next pair, so she took some details about me and my skating.

I'm going to see what she comes back with, and go from there. She seems to know her stuff, but she's new to me and I'm wary after multiple bad experiences with fitters and skate shops. Worst case, I'll be in the town where my last boots were fitted in April, so can always go back there, although it's a lot further for things like adjustments etc.

Vicki7

On the Ice
Alright, I got word back from the fitter.

Her Jackson rep has suggested 2 boots: the 5300 and the 5385. Both available in my size although the 5385 is a special order so lead time may be longer. Current estimate is between 2 to 8 weeks for delivery.

This actually lines up with what I was anticipating boot wise, not sure which to go for yet, my coach is very much of the belief that it’s personal preference but to go for the best option I can afford. Just waiting on some prices as I’m swapping blades too, so any thoughts that may help me decide are very welcome :)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Alright, I got word back from the fitter.

Her Jackson rep has suggested 2 boots: the 5300 and the 5385. Both available in my size although the 5385 is a special order so lead time may be longer. Current estimate is between 2 to 8 weeks for delivery.

This actually lines up with what I was anticipating boot wise, not sure which to go for yet, my coach is very much of the belief that it’s personal preference but to go for the best option I can afford. Just waiting on some prices as I’m swapping blades too, so any thoughts that may help me decide are very welcome :)
5300 or even the Synergy pro would be good for you (the latter able to be semi-customized). I would not go with the 5383 as I think it's going to be way too stiff for you with rating of 85.

As far as blades? What blade do you have now and what are you looking for your new blade to do for you? Any preferences with stanchion, picks, etc?

Vicki7

On the Ice
Do you know, I've not seen the Synergy boots here in the UK - or if they are here, they're very rare! The bonus is apparently the 5300 would arrive sooner, here's hoping they won't be too much of an adjustment from my current boots.

Current blades are Ultima Legacy 7s. I used to skate on the Coronation Ace and LOVED them for spinning but wanted a bigger toe pick for jumps, which I got with my current blades. I've been told the MK Professionals could well tick all my boxes so they're the front runner. I can spin on the Legacy blade, but I was getting 5 or 6 revolutions in my Coronation Aces, can't get past 4 on these things... and now they're 2 years old I'm noticing just how flat they are!

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Do you know, I've not seen the Synergy boots here in the UK - or if they are here, they're very rare! The bonus is apparently the 5300 would arrive sooner, here's hoping they won't be too much of an adjustment from my current boots.

Current blades are Ultima Legacy 7s. I used to skate on the Coronation Ace and LOVED them for spinning but wanted a bigger toe pick for jumps, which I got with my current blades. I've been told the MK Professionals could well tick all my boxes so they're the front runner. I can spin on the Legacy blade, but I was getting 5 or 6 revolutions in my Coronation Aces, can't get past 4 on these things... and now they're 2 years old I'm noticing just how flat they are!
The MK Pro would be good, but you could also look at MK Gold Star the picks would help you as well as the great spin rocker, just be aware that it has the higher stanchions.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The MK Pro would be good, but you could also look at MK Gold Star the picks would help you as well as the great spin rocker, just be aware that it has the higher stanchions.
I adored the Gold Stars, but I know the OP and her skating and honestly think that MK Pros would be a safer option. She's already technically going to be way overbooted and I can forsee problems.

Vicki7

On the Ice
I thought I'd update this thread, since I managed to get to the fitter where I got my current boots yesterday, on the advice of my coach - he said the boots I was recommended by the shop closer to us are a lot of money to spend and it be the wrong boot, and he'd rather get an opinion from someone who I've used previously, especially as up to now I've had no boot issues.

My boots have been checked, and the support is still there - what's changed is the padding at the top and in the tongue, but this can be counteracted by making sure my lacing technique is correct every time. I skated today and the main issue is now pain in my arches, however...

I've been advised to go and see a podiatrist and get some orthotics to address my pronation - a friend at the rink today has recommended someone she used who was able to create orthotics for her skates as well as her shoes. Not cheap, but cheaper than new boots.

I was also advised when the time does come to switch boots, Risport may be another brand to consider. I got my fitter to put me in one, and it was actually pretty comfy - it would need baking and punching out in a few places to be perfect, but it's not the no go brand I thought it was previously.

However, this shop now has my custom forever based one one sentence: "It would be wrong for me to stand here and sell you new skates. You don't need them yet."

Note to self: just go to these guys, they know their stuff!

Elenea

Rinkside
Glad you found someone responsible who does not want to upsell you.

I have orthotics in both my skate pairs and they help me a lot. I also had problems with arch pain and cramps before I got them. And trouble with my outside edges.

Nevertheless I recommend to keep a close eye on your skates.
My Elite Pros lasted for about 2 years (two saisons September-April) before starting to break down. I had my jumps up to double toeloop but with less weight (120 pounds). It started with feeling wobbly in spins and the need to always pull the laces tighter to make up for the lost support.