Toller Cranston, RIP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Toller Cranston, RIP

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Scrufflet, you know that I would love to read this, but the link does not work. It appears to be part of you "C" drive? (I am not knowledgeable about these things). Thanks
I'm so sorry, I can't get this to link. I'll have to try and figure this out.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So sorry to hear this news. My condolences to Mr. Toller's family and friends.
He was an amazing skater.

anyanka

Record Breaker
A consummate artist has left us. We are all a little lesser for it. But his legacy lives on, and for that, we are truly grateful.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Meeting Toller

Back in the '90s, I was having a birthday in November of that year. A friend wanted to give me a present and decided we should go to Toller's art gallery on Queen St. West to see his current show. My friend is a cousin so I figured we'd get a decent reception!

I called to book a time. An imperious voice answered, “This IS Toller Cranston!” A time was specified and off we went to a rough looking area of Toronto to find a door wedged between two grungy- looking businesses. Toller met us at the door, looking very jaunty and colourful, a scarf draped about his neck.

Up we went to a second floor, massive because he had knocked out walls of two stores and painted every surface stark white. The large front room was filled with paintings in bold colours, brimming with intensity. Some had skates. It was clear that many of them had a conquistador feel to them.

Our first painting had several people in a canoe, one ready with a knife, ready to stab the person in front! The soon-to-be victim was completely unaware. Toller explained that he had been inspired by a new friend who had difficulty with her family and hated her mother intensely. Um, did I want to hang that one in my home? No!

My friend moved on to the next and said “Toller, this is wonderful. This should be in the Art Gallery of Ontario!”
Toller: “Yes, you are absolutely right and here is why...”
I can't for the life of me remember why because I was just too bedazzled by everything.

I decided it was time to talk skating. My friend told him we'd gone to the farewell show at Varsity Stadium. He told us how wonderful it was. I asked him about his take on Bourne and Kraatz who were just climbing the ranks. He said he hadn't paid attention to ice dance since the Duchesnays. (Friend: “He's a liar; he knows everything that's going on. People call him.”)

The conversation turned to their family. After being disappointed that we were not a couple (!), he started chatting about family gossip (“Well it was spread all over the front page of the Ottawa
Citizen...). I left them to it and drifted into the back work room, another massive space with stark white walls.

I came upon a large area with sleeping quarters at the back. There were paints and brushes everywhere, works in progress, some finished pieces, all bright, intense, emotion just leaping off canvas. In the centre of this, on a table, was... wait for it, a large Nebelhorn trophy, filled with odds and ends. You and I have kitchen junk drawers; Toller had a Nebelhorn trophy! I was giggling to myself, thinking this couldn't get much better when, it did!

A far wall by a desk and phone was covered in writing. I went closer and realized I was looking at Toller's phone book. Right in front of me I saw Donald and Ivana T (he'd been exhibiting at Trump Tower) and their private New York number. And no, I did not write anything down! But can you think what I could have walked out with?

It wound down after that. We sipped wine, more people came and off we went. We didn't get invited to Mexico, although my friend's daughter did, later that day. The gallery is long gone and now so is Toller, but what a memory! I laugh whenever I think of it.

My apologies for mucking up the link! And big thanks to those who have been writing tributes, in particular: Jeanne Beker, Steve Milton and our own N_Halifax! Nothing helps ease the pain like a good Toller story! People have a lot of them and I hope to hear more.

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Scrufflet, thank you for sharing your story! I was saddened to hear of Toller's death. He was a true original in everything he did, and he will be missed.

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Interesting article in the Ottawa Citizen by someone who interviewed him several times and saw him last month (seemingly very fit and well. Vagaries of fate...).

http://ottawacitizen.com/entertainment/celebrity/toller-cranston-over-the-top-until-the-very-end

He has always been an interesting character to me, but I think he burned and built a lot of bridges with friends and family. I rewatched the Life and Times documentary from 2002 or 2003 and was entertained and amazed again at the comments he provoked from everyone he knew. He won't be forgotten.

Debbi Wilkes completely screwed up the story about Toller tossing his skates into the river. He didn't do it at the Olympics and he didn't do it because he was frustrated by his result. He did it in Sweden after the World Championships to mark the end of his amateur career, knowing he would no longer skate compulsory figures.

BlackPack

Medalist
Meeting Toller

Back in the '90s, I was having a birthday in November of that year. A friend wanted to give me a present and decided we should go to Toller's art gallery on Queen St. West to see his current show. My friend is a cousin so I figured we'd get a decent reception!

I called to book a time. An imperious voice answered, “This IS Toller Cranston!” A time was specified and off we went to a rough looking area of Toronto to find a door wedged between two grungy- looking businesses. Toller met us at the door, looking very jaunty and colourful, a scarf draped about his neck.

Up we went to a second floor, massive because he had knocked out walls of two stores and painted every surface stark white. The large front room was filled with paintings in bold colours, brimming with intensity. Some had skates. It was clear that many of them had a conquistador feel to them.

Our first painting had several people in a canoe, one ready with a knife, ready to stab the person in front! The soon-to-be victim was completely unaware. Toller explained that he had been inspired by a new friend who had difficulty with her family and hated her mother intensely. Um, did I want to hang that one in my home? No!

My friend moved on to the next and said “Toller, this is wonderful. This should be in the Art Gallery of Ontario!”
Toller: “Yes, you are absolutely right and here is why...”
I can't for the life of me remember why because I was just too bedazzled by everything.

I decided it was time to talk skating. My friend told him we'd gone to the farewell show at Varsity Stadium. He told us how wonderful it was. I asked him about his take on Bourne and Kraatz who were just climbing the ranks. He said he hadn't paid attention to ice dance since the Duchesnays. (Friend: “He's a liar; he knows everything that's going on. People call him.”)

The conversation turned to their family. After being disappointed that we were not a couple (!), he started chatting about family gossip (“Well it was spread all over the front page of the Ottawa
Citizen...). I left them to it and drifted into the back work room, another massive space with stark white walls.

I came upon a large area with sleeping quarters at the back. There were paints and brushes everywhere, works in progress, some finished pieces, all bright, intense, emotion just leaping off canvas. In the centre of this, on a table, was... wait for it, a large Nebelhorn trophy, filled with odds and ends. You and I have kitchen junk drawers; Toller had a Nebelhorn trophy! I was giggling to myself, thinking this couldn't get much better when, it did!

A far wall by a desk and phone was covered in writing. I went closer and realized I was looking at Toller's phone book. Right in front of me I saw Donald and Ivana T (he'd been exhibiting at Trump Tower) and their private New York number. And no, I did not write anything down! But can you think what I could have walked out with?

It wound down after that. We sipped wine, more people came and off we went. We didn't get invited to Mexico, although my friend's daughter did, later that day. The gallery is long gone and now so is Toller, but what a memory! I laugh whenever I think of it.

My apologies for mucking up the link! And big thanks to those who have been writing tributes, in particular: Jeanne Beker, Steve Milton and our own N_Halifax! Nothing helps ease the pain like a good Toller story! People have a lot of them and I hope to hear more.

Thank you for sharing this story. What a legend. It would have been fun to have a friend like him, though I doubt the temperamental tantrums and the incessant gossip would be easy to deal with 24-7.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you, Scrufflet, for sharing and jealous of your "up close and personal" story. Toller was a true artist in every dimension:yay:.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Scrufflet, thanks so much for posting your story! It was a fabulous story about amazing skater and artist!

Scrufflet

Final Flight
elhenry, blackpack and doris, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I feel so lucky to live in Canada and have such an incredible figure skating legacy here. It inspires me and makes me feel so proud.