Top 5 favourite programs from Skate Canada | Golden Skate

Top 5 favourite programs from Skate Canada

rain

Record Breaker
Easily my overall favourite:
Gilles/Poirier's FD. One for the ages. I've already re-watched it multiple times. Every superlative for this dance

The rest in no particular order:
Keegan Messing SP and winning the silver
Shoma Uno's LP
Boikova/Kozlovskii LP (I always like finding a new promising team to watch)
Medvedeva's LP comeback

rachno2

Record Breaker
Mako Yamashita FS
James/Cipres FS
Boikova/Koslovskii FS
Peng/Jin SP
Evgenia Medvedeva FS (for the suspense/come back narrative)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
1. Gilles/Poirier FD - not even close, for me.
2. James/Cipres FS
3. Keegan Messing SP
4. Peng/Jin SP
5. Wang/Liu FD

lesnar001

Record Breaker
I really only saw the LP for the Men and Ladies....

1. Mako Yamashita
2. Jun-liet!!!!!!!!
3. Shoma Uno
4. Evgenia Medvedeva
5. Mariah Bell

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Jason Brown LP
Evgenia Medvedeva LP
James/Cipres FS
Elizaveta's SP
Shoma Uno's LP

AJVMSA8588

On the Ice
1. Peng/Jin SP
2. Piper/Paul Free
3. Medvedeva LP
4. Aymoz everything
5. James/Cipres LP (lower on my list as I loathe the detailing on the back of her suit)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Liza's SP it was amaaaazing! :love:

Peng/Jin's SP - although I did get that song stuck in my head for some time after :laugh: but I loved the sassy choreo!

Zhenya Med's comeback FS! What a boss!

Vanessa/Morgan's FP - ZOMG, they've come so far since they first started out, what a team! Also even though it's risky I just love that ending when Morgan goes down on one knee, holding Vanessa up in the air, he must be made of steel!

And for fifth...a bit of a toss up between Boikova/Kozlovskii's FS - so gorgeous! Can't wait to see more from them! And for some reason Alexander Majorov's FS, I really enjoyed it, especially the sparkle tie with the reversing sequins :laugh: Stick it to the Swedish Olympic Committee Alexander!

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
1) Piper & Paul's FD
2) Keegan's SP
3) Evgenia's FS (not so much the program, but the comeback)
4) Jason's FS (ditto)
5) Nam's FS

- - - Updated - - -

1. Peng/Jin SP
2. Piper/Paul Free
3. Medvedeva LP
4. Aymoz everything
5. James/Cipres LP (lower on my list as I loathe the detailing on the back of her suit)

I concur with #5 - Who thought that a sparkly thong was a good idea??

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
I never believed Piper and Paul will actually make it out of the 'they are weird and quirky' ghetto. I am so happy they have finally claimed a place in people's hearts <3
And yeah, that free dance almost made me cry too :)

Also Keegan was flying in both of his programs.

And also Liza if she changes her dresses :D

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Vanessa & Morgan FS (and SP)
Mariah Bell FS (dress was so beautiful too..)
Jason Brown FS... gentle and subtle, love his interpretation
Peng & Jin SP & FS
Elizabet Tursynbaeva SP & LP

I loved the winners, of course.. who doesn't... but my favorites tend to be those most pleasurable .. ones I will watch many times over because everything came together... J/C deserved the win and her costume does not upset me at all considering program context.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Yamashita FS
Tuktamysheva SP
Gilles/Poirier FD
Hubbell/Donohue FD
Cha SP

Runner up:
Medvedeva FS
Messing SP
James/Cipres FS

1 through 5 – Gilles & Poirier’s FD – to me, THIS is the epitome of ice dance brilliance (scored 130+ in my books...good thing I'm not a judge I hear some say :p). For me, all other FDs at SC (and SA) paled in comparison for performance quality. I don’t even have a twitter account, but here’s my new fave hashtag: #Psquared4Gold :bow:
This FD moved me to tears, something I can't recall happening since Brian Orser’s ’88 exhibition The Story of My Life.

Yes, there were other skates that I thoroughly enjoyed, finding the overall quality of programs put out at SC better than at SA last weekend, particularly in pairs! I can think of many, but first that come to mind:

2. James/Cipres FP – world podium goods for sure, with top spot definitely attainable
3. Keegan Messing SP (& FP) – a joy to watch such pure high-speed fun entertainment
4. Evgenia Medvedeva FP – “new body, new mind”, new-and-improved performance factor (love her :love:, and still my #1 pick for WC this season)
5. Junhwan Cha SP/FP, Nam Nguyen FP, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva SP, Boikova/Kozlovskii FP, Mako Yamashita FP, Jason Brown FP, Alaine Chartrand’s SP/FP comeback GRIT (you-GO-girl!)

Honourable mention: Laval crowds – loud cheering and standing Os for all great skates! :hap10:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma FS
Liza T SP
Piper & Paul SD
Mako FS
Vanessa & Morgan SP & FS

Runners up:
Evgenia FS
Mariah Bell FS
Jason FS

DonnaR

On the Ice
In no particular order (and very hard to pick just 5!):

Gilles & Poirier - both
Mako - LP
Peng & Jin - SP
MTM - great to see them have a stronger short program
Morgan & Cipres
Shoma LP
Junhwah LP

Also really enjoyed Mariah and it was great to see Alaine have more confidence.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
So many great performances. Definitely a GP that exceeded my expectations:

1. Gilles/Poirier FD - I admit I have often overlooked them in favour of the other Canadian dance teams but the last minute of their FD won me over, just magical and mesmerizing.

2. Messing's SP - After his teammate lays it down, he ups his game even. Pressure, what pressure? I think he has gained many new fans.

3. Liza Tukt's SP - When she said she will bring the 3A back, she really means it. And such confidence she showed in this performance, reminiscent of 2015 Worlds.

4. Boikova/Kozlovskii's FS - I think they have improved quite a bit in flow from last season. A performance that Moskvina would be proud of. Future World Stars as B.ESP called them.

5. Lauriault/Le Gac's FD - A pleasant surprise for me. Innovative and done with so much swagger, loved it.

Honourable mentions:

a. Med's fierce comeback tango, so focused.
b. Probably the best Nam skated in a while and Alaine getting back her groove.
c. Wang/Liu's improved FD (glitches in execution but good work on projection, expression, and sharper movements)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i see a lot of people voted for Piper and Paul's FD. I was in the audience and it was the only moment throughout the entire event, that i had tears in my eyes... .it was that beautiful... also, their RD is less of a drag than others. I hope they show their potential fully for the rest of the yer.

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
1 Mako Yamashita FS
2 Junhwan Cha SP
3 Smart/Diaz RD
4 Shoma Uno FS
5 James/Cipres FS